Ian Somerhalder Foundation Book Club discussion

Fall 2016 Book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Somerhalder Foundation (iansomerhalderfoundation) | 62 comments Mod
We are excited to announce Dodging Extinction by anthony D. Barnosky as our latest book club selection. so check it out and head back on over here to discuss it.

message 2: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) Going to order. Read an excerpt and like the way the author writes. Already learned from the excerpt that Lonesome George died in 2012.

message 3: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) I've read about 40 pages of this book - definitely a Good Read! I like how the author explains for the scientific layperson what he is talking about.

message 4: by Paola (new)

Paola (paoletta76) I totally agree with Elea11.

I am Italian and I can understand English (actually, I am a translator) but it would be better to suggest books more popular and already translated into other languages, like it happened with Dewey, for instance.

Just my two cents ;)

Paola

message 5: by Ian (new)

Thank you for the suggestion. We will see what we can do but we have the next several books picked out and read in advance. However, we will try to keep that in mind as we go forward as it wasn't something that we had done much research whether the books had been translated or not.

message 6: by Paola (new)

Paola (paoletta76) Thank you very much Ian for considering our suggestion!

This article on ISF website- combined with all the variuos translations of it - perhaps may help.

http://www.isfoundation.com/news/sugg...

Many thanks again, and a big hug!

Paola

message 7: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) Elea11 wrote: "Ian wrote: "Thank you for the suggestion. We will see what we can do but we have the next several books picked out and read in advance. However, we will try to keep that in mind as we go forward as..."

Debby wrote: "I've read about 40 pages of this book - definitely a Good Read! I like how the author explains for the scientific layperson what he is talking about."

This book is not a fast read, but I am enjoying all the learning that is happening! I'm about halfway done.

message 8: by Ian (new)

We promise the next book is much lighter :)

message 9: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) I got side-tracked for a while, but I'm back to reading "Dodging Extinction". I especially enjoyed the part about trying to bring back the Passenger Pigeons, because I got to see Martha, in one of her brief appearances (putting an item on display can cause damage), at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum (Washington D.C., U.S.A.), while visiting my daughter who's doing a Post-doc there. It was interesting to learn that de-extinction wouldn't really work. I'm learning all kinds of new things from reading this book.

message 10: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) Debby wrote: "I got side-tracked for a while, but I'm back to reading "Dodging Extinction". I especially enjoyed the part about trying to bring back the Passenger Pigeons, because I got to see Martha, in one of ..."
Finished reading the well-documented "Dodging Extinction". Although it is not a fast read, there is much to learn in this book.