Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 1. How did you experience the novel?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"? How did you feel reading it—amused,
sad, disturbed, confused, bored...?

message 2: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4210 comments Mod
I enjoyed this book best of all the books by Sayers. I liked the setting and learning about the bells. I like books that I learn something.

message 3: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2061 comments Mod
I enjoyed this one as well and like Kristel I found the details about campanology fascinating

message 4: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1448 comments I have to admit that the explanation of the types of bell-ringing left me bemused rather than understanding what it was all about. The importance of bells as a warning of danger or alerting people to a death in the community was fascinating. This importance reminded me of Iris Murdoch's The Bell. The other fascinating explanations were about the use of sluices and locks to control the flood waters in the fens and meres. Graham Swift's Waterland is another book set in East Anglia. I wondered if he had read this sometime.

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments This was better than Murder Must Advertise, with more interesting characters and an even more intricate plot. Like others, I was surprised to learn that there was a "science" of bell-ringing and that it was complex and somewhat mathematical.

message 6: by John (new)

John Seymour I very much enjoyed this. Like others, I never realized there was so much involved in ringing bells. I always thought you just pulled on the darn rope. I liked the use of the bell-ringing scores as a cryptologic tool and that Sawyer gave us lots of hints on that aspect before using it. Once you know, the bell scores sure look like number codes.

Finally, given the plot, the practice of ringing nine Tailor Pauls to announce a death in the community and the campanology, the title is simply brilliant.