Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 5. Full question inside. Describe positive & negative aspects of village life

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
5. This novel gives a portrait of village life 1920s England. Describe what was characteristic about this lifestyle, along with the positive and negative aspects of village community life.

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2065 comments Mod
Everyone knew each other, gossip was rife, church central to family life.

message 3: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1451 comments There were both advantages and disadvantages in village life. Everybody knew everyone else's business, which means that people like Potty Peake are known and tolerated in the community and allowed to live as normally as possible instead of being institutionalised. Everyone has a sense of community and helps out, for example during the flood. On the other hand everyone knows everyone else's business and someone like Mary Thoday can never live down the suspicion that she was involved in the emerald robbery.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 976 comments I agree with Pip. This also extends to "conflicts" between the villages and the many water corporations in the Fen with respect to maintain the sluices, opening new drains, etc.

message 5: by John (new)

John Seymour I also agree with Pip. I would add that the pace is slower as well and living in an age before widespread rural electrification it is dark at night, so most folks stay close to home. But for the clouds and humidity, the stars would have been magnificent.