The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Humans

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Hi all!

This month's group read is THE HUMANS and the discussion will be led by David.

Take it away.....!

message 2: by ash (new)

ash | spaceyreads (ashych) Yay scifi! I've got myself a copy, can't wait for further discussion!

message 3: by ALove4Me (new)

ALove4Me | 4 comments Downloaded a copy and will delve in tonight. Can't wait to chat!

message 4: by David (last edited Aug 03, 2016 12:44AM) (new)

David O'Neal | 89 comments I hope the whole group picks it up and chimes in. it is a light summer read that combines humor and insight into the nuances of what it means to be human. I was on vacation and missed kicking this off, but the first question I have after chapter 1 is:
If the universe's perception of Humans on earth is one of ugly violence (which you certainly can see watching any news or political program), then how does that view merge with picking up the language from a Cosmoplitan magazine?? I guess we shall see....

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 2977 comments I reserved my copy at my library. Looking forward to a thought provoking and fun read.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Wright | 3 comments Great choice, David! I read The Humans earlier this year and was surprised by how moved I was. There's definitely humor, too.

message 7: by ash (new)

ash | spaceyreads (ashych) Justttt finished the book. I found it funny, loved the dry and sarcastic humor, also loved the little references to British things, as my boyfriend is British. In fact, he loves Bill Bryson, and I think he might like this as well. I didn't find it as thought-provoking as I thought it would be, though. Has anyone else finished it?

message 8: by ALove4Me (new)

ALove4Me | 4 comments Half way through. I am enjoying the perceptions of humans and the dry humor, but as Ashley said, I've yet to read anything shatteringly thought provoking. Definitely some poignant observations about human behavior, but nothing profound. I guess I will just keep reading.

message 9: by ALove4Me (new)

ALove4Me | 4 comments Finished. I thought the first half was funny and interesting, but the second half took a totally different turn. The second half just didn't appeal to me in the same manner as the first. I enjoyed the storyline and the twists along the way, but the life affirmations and assertions concerning the "meaning of life" just didn't seem a logical place for the story to go. The story went from highly factual, with witty generalizations about human life, to deeply spiritual and philosophical. Maybe if the book had been longer, the author could have shown a full transformation that would make complete sense, but I just didn't enjoy the sudden turn around. I probably wouldn't have finished this book without this group. Oh well! I am not unhappy I read The Humans, but I look forward to moving on to the next book up for discussion.

message 10: by XxTainaxX (new)

XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy | 1 comments Just started it at the suggestion of the group. Looking forward to it! ;)

message 11: by David (new)

David O'Neal | 89 comments Yes halfway through the month and it's a short book so finish up and throw in your thoughts! This is a summer read: did we want deep thoughts? I agree with a couple of comments above in that the tone the author seemed to not be 100% sure of what tone to set. Others? Did you prefer the logical humorous beginning, the transition times as he delayed his task, or the more introspective, rules of life and understanding tone?

message 12: by ash (new)

ash | spaceyreads (ashych) Never knew what the term summer read actually means, haha, I know it generally refers to a light, leisurely book, but that doesn't mean it can't be intelligent or deep as well. I admit the tag science fiction made me think it was more, well, science-y, but of course I was wrong to think that - science fiction is a broad description.

I agree with themusicalme, the turnaround was abrupt, and to be honest, it became quite cliche. David, I did love the humorous start where the alien was stumbling around Earth, many quotable quotes there.

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina | 143 comments Read it over my vacation poolside. It wasn't overly lite and breezy, although there was humor. I think this alien's journey to become human is a story line that abounds from Data on Star Trek to the Tin Man in Oz, but he had to pass through his original mission to destroy evidence/witnesses, confront all he has ever known, to complete his transformation. I think the author takes the reader through this soul searching very successfully.

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Thanks so much to David for his nomination and his willingness to lead the month long discussion!!!!