Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2016-08 - Creepy - Reviews

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8733 comments Mod
People find different things Creepy to them. What is the Creepy factor for you?

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1420 comments For this month's shelf I've read The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. I wouldn't describe it exactly as creepy, but it definitely is weird. Doesn't seem a book over 100 years of age. Very thought-provoking, as well as entertaining. I really liked it, and I'll want to read more by this author (this one was my first book by him).

I don't really know what the creepy factor for me is, but, as I said in the "What will you read" discussion, I feel many of the books on this shelf weren't creepy at all for me. One book in the list I would define as creepy is Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - just as an example of what I actually find creepy.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 161 comments This month I read Unwind. While I did not find the book to be what I would consider "Creepy" it was still very disturbing and unsettling. The book brings up some very hot button issues and uncomfortable topics. It also shows people as having developed a sense of apathy or even cruelty towards some pretty awful situations. You do have to suspend your sense of disbelief because the world this book takes place in is so very unlikely (not the people being cruel part, but that two warring sides managed to agree on a world that should have pleased neither), but I was interested in the characters and concerned for their well being enough to not care how deep of a fantasy world I was in. I did very much enjoy the story and will continue the series.

message 4: by Bea (last edited Aug 10, 2016 04:02AM) (new)

Bea | 4746 comments Mod
I read Before I Go to Sleep. The premise is that the main character (Christine) has amnesia. However, her amnesia is not just since her "accident" but her whole life. She can remember bits and pieces, but, every day when she wakes up, she has to start learning all over again who she is...and then forgets it all when she goes to sleep. The "creepy" part of this book centers around her husband, Ben. Who is he? Is he lying to her or telling her the truth? I would categorize this book as a "thriller". I gave it a rare (for me) 5* rating for the story and the premise and how it all worked out. This was a new author for me, but definitely one I will seek out again.

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1420 comments Thanks, Bea, this book sounds very interesting. I've added it to my wishlist.

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 12 comments The Haunting of Sunshine Girl - Paige McKenzie

3 1/2 stars

When Sunshine and her single mother, Kat (who adopted Sunshine when Sunshine was a baby abandoned at the hospital where she works as a neonatal nurse) move from Austin, TX to a small town in Washington State, strange things begin to happen in their new home. Sunshine hears footsteps and hears a little girl giggling. Soon, the signs that the house is haunted escalate and Sunshine learns that there is more than a haunting going on. She must discover who she really is and what she is meant to do in order to save her mother and others she cares about.

This was a fun young adult story. It was creepy, but not so scary that my eleven year old daughter (who listened to the audio book with me) was spooked (she likes creepy but not scary - likes Twilight Zone but thought the government employees chasing ET made that movie too scary for her). There are aspects of the story that are a little cliche in the genre. Sunshine is a bit of a Mary Sue. There is hint of a romance, but at least in this book it remains a hint and there is no love triangle. I found the world building interesting although some of the aspects of Sunshine's role and powers have been done before. Overall, it entertained me and I will continue the series with my daughter.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
I've started The Diviners, by Libba Brey, author of A Great and Terrible Beauty I can't tell yet how creepy I'll find it, but it seems to be headed in that direction.

For me, "creepy" is epitomized by Edgar Allen Poe's short story "The Telltale Heart."

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4746 comments Mod
I listened to And Then There Were None (4*), a classic Agatha Christie story of murder and guilt. And, in the final days of the season, got in Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann (4*), which was hard to put down.

In And Then There Were None, the creepy element was not knowing who the murderer was and yet people kept dying. Since there were only nine people on the island to start with (and no one else came), it was classically creepy.

In Cryer's Cross, there is a similar creepy element - children go missing. Then it turns out to be voices heard in a desk. Definitely creepy.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I completely forgot to post that I read two creepy books last month.
Rebecca and The Shadow of the Wind were both re-reads for me but still maintained that creepy factor.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
I've forgot to post when I finally finished The Diviners. My review here .