The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra
This topic is about Zodiac Starforce Volume 1
Comics/Graphics Reads > August: Zodiac Starforce

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) August's graphic novel choice is Zodiac Starforce: By the Power of Astra. I've never heard of it, but my library has it available.

I don't really know what to expect, but I'm getting serious Sailor Moon vibes from the cover. Who will be reading this, what did you think of it?

message 2: by Chessa (new) - added it

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments My library doesn't have it. And it's too new to ILL it. So I'm probably sitting this one out. :/

Radclyffe U-Haul | 41 comments I loved it! Very Sailor Moon-esque.
(I forgot that it being so new would make it less accessible. I'll keep that in mind in the future. Maybe we could do a re-read of this one in a year or so?)

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) This was an amazing comic! I loved all the little references in the background drawings too; I saw meatball head hair, some Lunas, a Totoro...
I'm a little confused with the backstory timeline, and I even still feel like I'm jumping in the story late, but I also read that there is a short webcomic that tells how they got their powers; has anyone read that? The artwork was great and the story fun. Glad I read this one :) It's a great buildup volume.

Radclyffe U-Haul | 41 comments Anita wrote: "This was an amazing comic! I loved all the little references in the background drawings too; I saw meatball head hair, some Lunas, a Totoro...
I'm a little confused with the backstory timeline, an..."

I don't think the webcomic is still considered canon? I'm not sure though.

Rachel (ribbonquest) | 56 comments I never quite got past disliking the Jem/80s art style. It's a neat concept and I like how it was pretty ambigious. They're fighting evil, sure, but their powerful mentor seems firmly neutral rather than good. This books feels like season two or three of a series, which skips over the annoying cliches of new magical girls but also leaves the story feeling very unfinished at both ends.

The art for Victorian magical girls at the end is intriguing. I'd like to see that story told.

If you're interested in other western takes on the magical girl genre, there's also Crystal Cadets #1. It didn't really resonate with me but I've made it my mission to explore whatever magical girl variations I can get my hands on.

Radclyffe U-Haul | 41 comments Man I feel bad about being so absent from this thread but really I don't have anything more insightful than Savi and Lily are adorable and MORE PLEASE. I really hope there's a volume two.

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Rachel wrote: "The art for Victorian magical girls at the end is intriguing. I'd like to see that story told."

I loved the past and alternate costume artwork too!