Mills AP Lit and Comp discussion

Shakespeare

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mr. Eric Mills (last edited Aug 01, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

Mr. Eric Mills | 9 comments Mod
1) Copy and paste, or type up your 4-10 (more is ok) lines of Shakespeare. Then 2) comment with a brief description of the verse. Make note of how you see a contemporary incarnation. What I mean is, you’ll be amazed at how applicable most of Shakespeare’s lines still are—“Since the more fair and crystal is the sky,/The uglier seem the clouds that in it fly.” Bolingbroke says these lines in Richard II, but they are applicable every day: the cleaner you wash your car, the more you notice that one spot you missed. Write up your Shakespeare anecdote and post it here. Then, 3) find a favorite from someone else and learn it, too.

message 2: by Brynn (last edited Aug 02, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Brynn Gauthier | 7 comments Brynn Gauthier
Period 1
The quality of mercy is not strained;
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
‘T is mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown:
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God’s
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That, in the course of justice, none of us
Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;

In The Merchant of Venice, mercy has been neglected. But Portia is saying that the closest thing we have to a higher power is mercy. It cannot be over hyped. You can wear robes and a crown and have nuclear codes at your fingertips, but one’s true power lies in their application of mercy over justice. Donald Trump’s vie for power in fear and money and hate can and will be overcome by kindness and understanding because they are more powerful. Justice gives us nothing. Mercy is the most generous of all, giving and giving and giving to the one that gives as well as the one that gains.

message 3: by Natalya (new)

Natalya Hill | 7 comments Natalya Hill, Period 1

“There would have been a time for such a word.
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle.
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

This excerpt of Shakespeare’s Macbeth from Act 5.5 delivered by Macbeth is the response to the death of the queen and is a commentary on the brief, transitory, and shallow quality to life, particularly in regard of the passage of time (tomorrows and yesterdays). Though this could simply be considered an existential crisis, Shakespeare is attempting to expose the way we posture and play-act, especially in the face of mortality (thus “a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage”). The message of needing to live honestly and impactfully rather than being filled with “sound and fury” relates to today’s culture of information overload and especially in politics, the monologues and diatribes that are ultimately short-lived in the face of real conflicts and suffering. For instance, all of the politicians who had spent their careers defending lack of gun control and homophobic legislature attempting to acknowledge Orlando in order to save face. Sometimes it takes Shakespeare to expose the futility and ridicule of current political trends, and how we react to deaths and tragedy as a nation.

message 4: by Greer (last edited Aug 02, 2016 06:16PM) (new)

Greer Ramsey-White | 7 comments Greer Ramsey-White
Period 1

There be some sports are painful, and their labour
Delight in them sets off: some kinds of baseness
Are nobly undergone and most poor matters
Point to rich ends. This my mean task
Would be as heavy to me as odious, but
The mistress which I serve quickens what's dead
And makes my labours pleasures: O, she is
Ten times more gentle than her father's crabbed,
And he's composed of harshness. I must remove
Some thousands of these logs and pile them up,
Upon a sore injunction: my sweet mistress
Weeps when she sees me work, and says, such baseness
Had never like executor. I forget:
But these sweet thoughts do even refresh my labours,
Most busy lest, when I do it.

In Shakespeare’s last play The Tempest Act 3 Scene 1, Ferdinand, The Prince of Naples, succumbs to manual labor in attempts to gain the trust of Prospero, the father of his desired lover, Miranda. Although Prospero knows Ferdinand’s worth to his daughter, he keeps Ferdinand busy and working. Miranda hates seeing her love work so hard but Ferdinand pushes through motivated by his feelings for Miranda. Not knowing Prospero’s underlying intentions, Ferdinand comments on how ruthless Prospero’s tasks are to endure. Within Ferdinand's monologue, Shakespeare presents the sacrifice of working hard and facing endeavors that normally would not be taken on, for the ones one loves. This can be seen now, as well as all throughout history, of immigrants coming to America to make better of not only their lives, but in hopes of making a better future for their families. They take on a daunting expedition and encounter many obstacles such as racial stereotyping, religious discrimination, and overall immense inequality, yet they still withstand it all as they fight for the benefits of their loved ones.

message 5: by Evan (new)

Evan Austin | 7 comments Evan Austin
Period 1

No! Time, thou shalt not boast that I do change.
Thy pyramids built up with newer might
To me are nothing novel, nothing strange;
They are but dressings of a former sight.
Our dates are brief, and therefore we admire
What thou dost foist upon us that is old,
And rather make them born to our desire
Than think that we before have heard them told.
Thy registers and thee I both defy,
Not wond'ring at the future nor the past;
For thy recórds and what we see doth lie,
Made more or less by thy continual haste.
This I do vow and this shall ever be:
I will be true, despite thy scythe and thee.

Shakespeare's Sonnet CXXII (123) goes straight into some of the deepest topics of humanity: time and perspective. He writes the sonnet as if answering or calling to time itself, challenging time's impact. He refuses to acknowledge the new technology and buildings as revolutionary, but merely a replica of the past. Shakespeare explains that we admire the past because we want to believe it was made for us to build upon. He finishes the Sonnet by juxtaposing the past, present and future, ultimately rejecting time's whims and choosing to live in the moment.

When the author writes, "Our dates are brief, and therefore we admire/What thou dost foist upon us that is old,/And rather make them born to our desire/Than think that we before have heard them told," perfectly explains the problem of perspective. He is essentially rephrasing the famous line "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Everything that we see and do is taken into our brain in response to the way we want to see or do them. Every sentence that we hear or picture we see, it all bounces off our intentions and desires and registers with us in a way that makes sense. That's why every post on this page may be a different interpretation for every person, because we subconsciously see and understand in a way that we desire.

message 6: by Devan (new)

Devan Nagy | 7 comments Devan Nagy
Period 2

“The earth can have but earth, which is his due;
My spirit is thine, the better part of me:
So then thou hast but lost the dregs of life,
The prey of worms, my body being dead;
The coward conquest of a wretch's knife,
Too base of thee to be remembered.
The worth of that is that which it contains,
And that is this, and this with thee remains”

In his Sonnet LXXIV (74), Shakespeare comments on the concept of death. He states that when he dies, the earth will take the part of him that is the earth itself- his body. Others will see as the worms (earth) takes it in. He then says that what gives his body it’s purpose is his spirit that can be found in this poem, not the body that others will not remember. Therefore, his body may be gone, but his spirit will remain in his writing. This idea can be mirrored to the use of one’s memory of someone who has passed away. When he writes, “the worth of that is that which it contains/ And that is this, and this with thee remains” he states this perspective. The earth of an individual is lost through death, but their spirit remains in others memories and thoughts, and therefore can continue to live through the present.

message 7: by Elise (last edited Aug 04, 2016 04:26PM) (new)

Elise | 8 comments Elise Todd
Period 2

"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! is had a dying fall:
O, it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound,
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour! Enough; no more:
'Tis not so sweet now as it was before.
O spirit of love! how quick and fresh art thou,
That, notwithstanding thy capacity
Receiveth as the sea, nought enters there,
Of what validity and pitch soe'er,
But falls into abatement and low price,
Even in a minute: so full of shapes is fancy
That it alone is high fantastical."

This is the opening monolouge of Twelfth Night. It is spoken by Duke Orsino because he is in love with Lady Olivia. He is basically saying that love is fickle. It will seem strong and unfading at one time and then it will seem "not so sweet as it was before". All we need to do to see a parallel in modern society is look at the divorce rate. So many people "fall in love", get married, and then divorce because their love faded. What may seem like love to teens and young adults comes and goes so much that they often go in and out of relationships not sure if what they're feeling is love or not. In Twelfth Night, the Duke doesn't even end up with Olivia. He falls in love with someone else! This shows how the love he is describing is the love experienced by everyone in the play as they fall in and out of relationships. In my opinion, "love" is not what we see firsthand in someone. It is the commitment we show as we spent our life with them.

message 8: by Veronica (last edited Aug 04, 2016 09:10PM) (new)

Veronica (veeleen) Veronica Nation, period 1

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd."

My absolute favorite sonnet of Shakespeare's. My thoughts are that it describes how love for someone doesn't change when something bad happens ("when it alteration finds"); love will always be there. When Shakespeare writes "Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, / But bears it out even to the edge of doom", I took it as love does not disappear when one is sick or one's lover is sick or dying, instead it is big and loud and ever-present. I also saw this as a more romantic-relationship poem than a, for example, platonic love poem; it talks of marriage (speak now or forever hold your peace) and the permanence that comes with it ("it is an ever-fixed mark"). This poem is expressive in the way that it shows how love is powerful and can defeat what tries to hold it back.

message 9: by Izzie (new)

Izzie Hicks | 7 comments Izzie Hicks
period 2

Oh, beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger,
But, oh, what damnèd minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts— suspects, yet soundly loves!

This verse of Shakespeare is from Act 3 Scene 3 of his play Othello. A man named Iago speaks these wise words about jealousy, discussing some key points that are still applicable today. The “green-eyed monster” (2) he speaks of pertains to jealousy, which, he goes on to explains, “doth mock the meat it feeds on” (2-3), meaning it makes fun of the person with jealous feelings. This idea is a concept still prominent today, because a jealous person often looks foolish due to their inability to hide their envious feelings. Iago goes on to say that a man who knows his wife is cheating on him is still happy because he isn’t friends with her new lover, therefore he’s not jealous and “lives in bliss” (3). To contrast, a man deeply in love with his wife, but suspects her cheating on him, will never be happy because of his inability to control his jealousness. Shakespeare writes this verse in his play Othello, exploring the concept of jealously in examples still relevant today.

message 10: by Kyle (last edited Aug 05, 2016 09:14PM) (new)

Kyle | 7 comments Kyle Friesen
Period 1

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie,
Which we ascribe to heaven: the fated sky
Gives us free scope, only doth backward pull
Our slow designs when we ourselves are dull.
What power is it which mounts my love so high,
That makes me see, and cannot feed mine eye?
The mightiest space in fortune nature brings
To join like likes and kiss like native things.
Impossible be strange attempts to those
That weigh their pains in sense and do suppose
What hath been cannot be: who ever strove
So show her merit, that did miss her love?
The king's disease--my project may deceive me,
But my intents are fix'd and will not leave me.

The last spoken words of the first scene of All’s Well That Ends Well are not only a near miss of a sonnet, but also a near miss of being about anything specific. In this monologue, Helena talks about love and how magically intangible it is. Plot-wise, this passage is great at setting up conflict with both Helena’s quest for Bertram and introducing her plot with the King. Helena makes a couple of assertions as to love, claiming that it’s so vast as to be so powerful and relentless. What she’s saying is also a form of self-validation for herself, saying that love can’t let her down in her quest.

Similar sentiments appear in pop music lyrics all the time, but more importantly, Helena’s thoughts and feelings here embody a sense of purpose, a belief that we get what we deserve if our ambitions and our person are in the right place. So in a sense, Helena is speaking of the power of individuality, of how our world is shaped by those who live in it.

message 11: by Alec (new)

Alec | 7 comments Alec Farmer
Per 2

William Shakespeare’s “Sonnet 29”

“When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

William Shakespeare’s “Sonnet 29” is a rich insight into the wealth gap, and the various effects it can have on people living in that society. The beginning of this sonnet (lines 1-2) describes an outsider, someone pushed to the edge of the social stratosphere. This melancholy tone is continued as the narrator feels the want to live a life of luxury and wealth; however, the narrator believes his current economic and social class to be his eternal fate (lines 3-7). The distinct shift in tonality occurs throughout lines 8-11, as suddenly the narrator develops a more uplifting outlook. The happiness the narrator finds is implied to have come from the love given through religion, something that can be identified with the use of “heaven’s gate” and “thy sweet love” (lines 12,13). By the end of the passage the narrator has found that love can make anyone feel on the same level as all “kings” (line 14). The envy and want for wealth and power, described in the passage, is still a major force in today's world. The glamorization of film stars, and major turnouts at lotteries signify that there is a major want in our modern world for people to obtain a life of wealth and luxury. The happiness and love the narrator finds at the end of the passage is obtainable through a number of ways friends, family, home, and community are all able to give people happiness that rises above wealth and fame. In other words the domestic and personal sphere, not the social sphere of the masses, is where anyone can feel important. This idea of love and being wanted, can make someone feel just as important as any star, politician, or royalty.

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly Worford | 7 comments Molly Worford
Period 1

“Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.”

In this verse taken from Act 3, Scene 1 of Shakespeare’s Hamlet, Hamlet muses on thoughts of suicide after facing the unpleasant company of his family. He feels that fear of the afterlife keeps people from committing suicide. Although this pessimistic and despairing thought isn’t one that shows up often in one’s everyday life, it speaks to a less depressing overall truth. The idea that fear holds people back from doing what they really want with their lives and that overthinking situations causes them to lose the nerve to act is shown. He says that one’s real intentions are “sicklied o’er with the pale cast of thought”-- or overthought to the point of anxiety, causing them to “lose the name of action,” essentially disregarding what they really want in life.

message 13: by Bridget (last edited Aug 07, 2016 07:03AM) (new)

Bridget (bridgeygelato) | 7 comments Bridget Galaty
Period 2

Not marble, nor the gilded monuments
Of princes, shall outlive this powerful rhyme;
But you shall shine more bright in these contents
Than unswept stone besmear'd with sluttish time.
When wasteful war shall statues overturn,
And broils root out the work of masonry,
Nor Mars his sword nor war's quick fire shall burn
The living record of your memory.
'Gainst death and all-oblivious enmity
Shall you pace forth; your praise shall still find room
Even in the eyes of all posterity
That wear this world out to the ending doom.
So, till the judgment that yourself arise,
You live in this, and dwell in lover's eyes.

Shakespeare's Sonnet LV (55) is an ode to someone's unfaltering beauty. Essentially, the poem is saying that this beauty will endure through all possible destruction, especially because the love for this person will exist for eternity. Shakespeare writes of many physical monuments that are usually thought to be everlasting and says that the beauty is still stronger than these manifestations. This is a particularly interesting sonnet considering that the beauty would probably not have been preserved except for the fact that "this powerful rhyme" is still read today.

The sentiments here are seen in much popular music, where the lyricists have attempted to preserve the love that they feel for another person by presenting it in verse. In both cases, while the relationship may no longer exist, the written record stands as a memory of what once was. By putting down the feelings and making them public, the writers are able to secure that the feelings will be known for generations.

message 14: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie W-B | 8 comments Mackenzie W-B
Period 1

That can thy light relume. When I have pluck'd the rose,
I cannot give it vital growth again.
It must needs wither: I'll smell it on the tree.
Ah balmy breath, that dost almost persuade
Justice to break her sword! One more, one more.
Be thus when thou art dead, and I will kill thee,
And love thee after. One more, and this the last.
So sweet was ne'er so fatal. I must weep,
But they are cruel tears: this sorrow's heavenly;
It strikes where it doth love.

Although the malicious sentiments in this stanza are not by any means understandable or universal, the idea that love causes the most pain is a pretty widespread idea even in modern times. In almost every book, movie, TV show, you can see some hint of the idea that you 'can't live with her can't live without her.' The line "So sweet was ne'er so fatal. I must weep,/ but they are cruel tear: this sorrow's heavenly;/ It strikes where it doth love," is a clear example of this idea that sorrow is an inherent part of love, and falling in love with sorrow is a common result of that.

message 15: by Josette (new)

Josette Axne | 7 comments Josette Axne Period 2

I have of late,—but wherefore I know not,—lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed, it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o’erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire,—why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

In Act 2 Scene 2 of Shakespeare's Hamlet, you see Hamlet’s perspective of mankind. He notes this majestic beauty of the sky but, says how it's changed into a toxic place. His real disappointment is seen in the capacity of mankind, and how men choose to act like animals. Towards the end of his rant, he illustrates that a man is a masterpiece, miracle, and a true work of art. He declares that man is the greatest of God’s creations and is far superior to any other but then, contradicts it all by revealing how he has lost his faith in mankind and man or woman cannot cease to please him. This motif, like many others in the play, is an expression of Hamlet’s obsession with the physicality of death and how he is continuing to understand it. He becomes so obsessed with this idea of death, and the disappointment it keeps leading to, that he spirals down into a ‘madness’ of some kind or, a type of crisis of who he is and what he wants to be.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 7 comments Lauren Page Period 1

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Macbeth Act 5, scene 5, 19–28

Macbeth says this to indicate that another day in his life would be just futile and monotonous crawl towards the inescapable end, “To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-“morrow,/Creeps in this petty pace from day to day”. In this soliloquy, Macbeth mourns his meaningless life and time after his wife’s death. He states that life is full of events and action, however, absurd and short and completely meaningless at the end. If life is like a bad play, it is thus an illusion, a mere shadow cast by a "brief candle." The candle is perhaps the soul, and the prospects for Macbeth's are grim.The themes in the excerpt are war, fate and fortune, suicide, and time. The deeper meaning of this phrase is that life is meaningless, useless and empty and every day is just creeping like other days, which have passed.

message 17: by Estee (last edited Aug 05, 2016 10:14AM) (new)

Estee | 5 comments Estee Dechtman
Period One

Oh what a deal of scorn look beautiful
In the contempt and anger of his lip
A murderous guilt shows not itself more soon
Than love that would seem hid
Loves night is noon
Cesario, by the roses of the spring,
By maidenhood, honor, truth, and everything I love thee so
That mauler all thy pride
Nor wit nor reason can my passion hide
Do not extort thy reasons for this clause for that I woo
Though therefore hast no cause
But reason thus with reason fetter
Love sought is good, but given unsought better

This monologue from Shakespeare’s Twelfth night, Or What You Will, Act three Scene one is perhaps the most relatable monologue of its time. This monologue comes from Olivia, who has fallen in love with Cesario, who is really Viola. Everyone has felt passionately about someone in their life, just as Olivia did for Cesario. Shakespeare has the amazing ability to write about great tragedies, but also make the littlest incidents applicable to modern day life. Something as small as a crush is displayed in this scene when Olivia has no choice but to let her feelings out. Just like Olivia’s outburst in this time period, in todays 21st Century we still have the same feeling of loving someone so much that one can no longer keep it to themselves.

message 18: by Simone (new)

Simone Elkins (princechrom) | 6 comments Simone Elkins
Period 2 (?)

Come here about me, you my Myrmidons;
Mark what I say. Attend me where I wheel;
Strike not a stroke, but keep yourselves in breath;
And when I have the bloody Hector found,
Empale him with your weapons round about;
In fellest manner execute your aims.
Follow me, sirs, and my proceedings eye.
It is decreed Hector the great must die.

Troilus and Cressida: Act 5, scene 7

Achilles, in this play, is most noted for his pride and skill in battle, but has already failed once to best Hector in single combat. Now, heartbroken over the death of Patroclus, his much more than "beloved comrade," Achilles has murder and revenge on his mind. There is no pride in the following sequence, where an unarmed and surrounded Hector is killed by Achilles. The mission Achilles gives his Myrmidons is a simple one, with a modern parallel in the myrmidons that emerge on social media. Given the ability to hide behind an anonymous front, many who have their pride injured like Achilles can tell those they associate with to "attend them where they wheel" in order to feel satisfied. Heartbreak itself is an age old concept, and losing a loved one has its own reputation for foul moods. It is understandable that Achilles would feel the need to murder Hector with certainty, especially given previous failure. Wishing upon others what they have done to you with anonymous help is no new concept, and Achilles certainly has reason for his actions and commands.

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Eisenberg | 7 comments Jenna Eisenberg
Period. 1

“If this fall into thy hand, revolve. In my stars I am
above thee, but not afraid of greatness. Some
are born great, some achieve greatness, and some
have greatness thrust upon ‘em. Thy fates open
their hands. Let thy blood and spirit embrace them.”

This quote spoken by Malvolio, in Twelfth Night, Or What You Will, Act 2, Scene 5, Page 7, is a very relevant and applicable message of its time and of today. Malvolio, Lady Olivia’s steward, is in a conversation with Fabian, a servant, as he reads a letter he thinks is written by Olivia, a rich countess, but is actually forged by Maria, Lady Olivia’s waiting woman. However, it does speak some truth to the dynamics of power, success, and talent in modern society and in our local communities. To paraphrase, the quote suggests to not be afraid or intimidated by other people’s greatness. Some are born great or into greatness, some work hard for it, and some are great due to someone else’s greatness. However, our fate for greatness is already in place, we just have to wait for it to happen, and accept it in body and spirit. Even today, fate raises a thought; if everything is determined beforehand, and no human effort can change your fate, there is no point in trying for greatness if it’s in your destiny.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate Hartshorn | 7 comments Kate Hartshorn Period 1

Sonnet XV (fifteen)

“When I consider everything that grows
Holds in perfection but a little moment,
That this huge stage presenteth nought but shows
Whereon the stars in secret influence comment;
When I perceive that men as plants increase,
Cheered and checked even by the self-same sky,
Vaunt in their youthful sap, at height decrease,
And wear their brave state out of memory;”

Shakespeare's Sonnet Fifteen speaks to the impermanence of youth. In the first lines of his sonnet, he sets the world as a sort of stage in which everything has its own growing beauty. Both “men as plants increase” and both are subject to the same outside influences. Like a plant, Shakespeare writes that humans reach their full growth and then wither from that point until they fade away, eventually forgotten. Today with social media’s influences stretching globally, a new form of growth has taken root. Everyone's focus is held for a split second on the next greatest thing. In this way, Shakespeare's words, “at height decrease,/and wear their brave state out of memory;” applies to those who find fame or success through the Internet. They can only reach so high, capture that moment, and then fall from their achievement to be forgotten in the constant flow of new ideas and input. Sonnet XV relates to today's world as it captures the ephemeral nature of all things.

message 21: by Marah (new)

Marah | 7 comments Marah Herreid
Period 2

"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! it had a dying fall:
O, it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound,
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour! Enough; no more:
'Tis not so sweet now as it was before.
O spirit of love! how quick and fresh art thou,
That, notwithstanding thy capacity
Receiveth as the sea, nought enters there,
Of what validity and pitch soe'er,
But falls into abatement and low price,
Even in a minute: so full of shapes is fancy

This speech, delivered by Orsino at the top of Twelfth Night, sets the stage for the focus not only of his own character, but of the philosophical questioning that would be present throughout the play. Not only this, but the concepts presented in this particular section are still extremely prevalent in the emotional part of human nature from the time this was written til the modern day and far beyond. For instance, in this speech, Orsino, lovesick and exaggerated, is clearly debating the idea of romantic love as being good vs. harmful to the human psyche. This thought of love as something harmful and inevitable continues throughout the rest of the characters' stories in twelfth night, making this introduction essential to their place in the story. Nevertheless, this is contradicted by the last two lines of the quote; the goods and evils of love are often compared in such a way--the evils first listed, far outweighing the goods in their number, but almost always redeemed by the remaining, biological need for love. As Orsino puts it, Love is "So full of shapes is fancy

message 22: by Riley (new)

Riley Watson | 7 comments Riley Watson
Period 1

Come, let’s away to prison.
We two alone will sing like birds i' th' cage.
When thou dost ask me blessing, I’ll kneel down
And ask of thee forgiveness. So we’ll live,
And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
At gilded butterflies, and hear poor rogues
Talk of court news, and we’ll talk with them too—
Who loses and who wins, who’s in, who’s out—
And take upon ’s the mystery of things
As if we were God’s spies.

Lear’s bittersweet words to Cordelia in Act Five, Scene Three of Shakespeare’s King Lear are those of both tragic endings and new beginnings. While awaiting their punishment as consequence of war, Cordelia suggests that her and Lear escape to meet her sisters, but her father denies this request for their better good. Lear sees that there is no escaping the reality and darkness of the world in which they live. Rather than resisting punishment, he embraces what has already been set forth in his life. He tells Cordelia of the songs they will sing, the the stories they will tell, and the mysteries of the universe they will ponder. To this day, Lear’s speech should be remembered and taken into consideration by people of all kinds. As humans we often have trouble accepting the given circumstances placed before us. We sometimes find it easier to reject reality than embracing it. As King Lear explains, many forms of good are always present in any unideal situation. The faster that we accept these truths, the easier we will be content with whatever the circumstances may be.

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam Altman | 7 comments Sam Altman
Period 1.

Phoenix and the Turtle:

Beauty, truth, and rarity,
Grace in all simplicity,
Here enclos'd, in cinders lie.

Death is now the Phoenix' nest,
And the Turtle's loyal breast
To eternity doth rest,

Leaving no posterity:
'Twas not their infirmity,
It was married chastity.

This poem is known as one of the first metaphysical poems. It represents the mystical nature of love. The poem describes a funeral of two lovers, represented by the phoenix ( the mythological bird associated with immortality). The turtle represents the fidelity held within this relationship. The greater meaning of this poem points to the power of love, and its capability to separate humans from the material world. I believe this poem is very useful and applicable to our now modern society full of material wealth and goods. It points to the freeing nature of love and the reward of separating yourself from this material world.

message 24: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 7 comments Be not deceived. If I have veiled my look,
I turn the trouble of my countenance
Merely upon myself. Vexèd I am
Of late with passions of some difference,
Conceptions only proper to myself,
Which give some soil perhaps to my behaviors.
But let not therefore, my good friends, be grieved—
Among which number, Cassius, be you one—
Nor construe any further my neglect
Than that poor Brutus, with himself at war,
Forgets the shows of love to other men.

These lines, spoken by Brutus in response to Cassius’ accusation during Julius Ceasar, can live with a small piece of our hearts every single day. What shakespeare was conveying when writing this scene, will be a forever relatable experience. We go through this, especially as adolescents, frequently. We must remember that even though we struggle with our own, inner identity, we need to remember we cannot outwardly express our emotions to those we care about, in an unmannerly way. Even though we deal with inner struggles and dilemmas often, our loved ones must not suffer as well. For we all struggle in some way, and we cannot exhale more hate into the world when plenty of it already exists. Especially, if we love that person and deeply care about them.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Alfrey-Bethke | 5 comments Sarah Alfrey-Bethke Period 2
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form, in moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?"

This is a quote from Shakespeare's famous play, Hamlet. In the first lines Hamlet praises all the qualities of man, such as intellect and beauty. He ends, however, with saying that since men come from dust, like all other things, they ultimately hold not interesting to him. In a world fixated on celebrities and gossip, this quote is powerfully impactful for younger generations. It is important to remember that we are not the only creatures living on this planet, and that what makes everyone and everything is the same forms of matter.

message 26: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Ripley | 7 comments Jackson Ripley
Period 2

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

~Henry V

Towards the end of the play, as the French army closes in on Henry's smaller English force, the king gives a rousing speech to inspire his men and rally them to victory at the famous Battle of Agincourt. Although the speech in its entirety can be interpreted as strictly literal, applying only to the environment of the English camp more than six hundred years ago, I feel that the closing lines above can relate to any trying time one might encounter in daily life today. To me it represents the spirit of brotherhood and bravery, embodying what it means to face seemingly impossible challenges with courage and grace. I always find myself coming back to both this excerpt and the speech as a whole, as I often find it to be incredibly inspiring. Of course the entire point of the monologue is to do just that: inspire. That being said, I again maintain that despite on the surface the monologue is specific to the circumstance of Henry V and his men, it really is applicable to almost any challenge.

message 27: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Stoker | 7 comments Nadia Stoker
period 1

I know not where is that Promethean heat
That can thy light relume. When I have pluck’d the rose,
I cannot give it vital growth again.
It must needs wither: I’ll smell it on the tree.
Ah balmy breath, that dost almost persuade
Justice to break her sword! One more, one more.
Be thus when thou art dead, and I will kill thee,
And love thee after. One more, and this the last:
So sweet was ne’er so fatal. I must weep,
But they are cruel tears: this sorrow’s heavenly;
It strikes where it doth love. She wakes.

This soliloquy from Othello Act 5 Scene 2 contains many parallels and insights to humanity and life that transcend time. On a more literal, physical level, the imagery presented in this piece such as the rose and the idea that it will never grow again but it is still beautiful mirrors the common act of picking flowers. Flowers are sold and given as gifts and though they die when cut or plucked, we choose to sacrifice the life for the beauty of it. With the words, “so sweet was ne’er so fatal”, the piece expresses that the rose becomes more beautiful in its death because the beauty now belongs to Othello. This is a reflection of human values surrounding beauty and life as well as mortality. This piece analyzes the depths to which we are willing to go to achieve beauty. Alternatively, the piece also contains meaning based on love and philosophy. With the consistent references to both love and death, the soliloquy explains that pain and love are often experienced together. They are inherent to each other. Since the ideas that the piece speaks about are so essential and human, the wisdom the piece contains is able to maintain its meaning and potency within our present day.

message 28: by Ray (new)

Ray Hootman | 7 comments Ray Hootman
Period 2

Sonnet XCIV

The summer's flower is to the summer sweet,
Though to itself it only live and die,
But if that flower with base infection meet,
The basest weed outbraves his dignity:
For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;
Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.

Shakespeare's Sonnet 94, They That Have The Power to Hurt and Will Do None, uses the symbol of a dying flower to represent a toxic person. The flower is seen as beautiful by others and may not realize it themselves, but if the flower does realize it and becomes self indulgent others become more beautiful. Just like people, the flower's behavior and actions determine its true beauty and worth. This is still important today. I can see this taking place in our society, and even at DSA. Beautiful looking people may have it easier, and certainly get more drinks handed to them at bars, or more substantial parts in a show, but if they have a bad attitude and are not good to work with they become less important and others rise above them. This sonnet shows that beautiful people or pretty things are not necessarily entirely beautiful throughout. It is better to be a weed than to be a dying lily.

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 7 comments Hannah Patrick
Period 1
"My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head;
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some pérfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound.
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
  And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
  As any she belied with false compare."

Sonnet 130 is a poem that blatantly contrasts with a lot of Shakespeare's other sonnets. The language, rather than being beautiful and meticulous is set up comedically, and twists the typical love metaphors to fit that tone. This is what makes it one of the most interesting of his sonnets. While the reader expects him to describe his mistress as a beautiful woman, using comparisons that most other poets make, Shakespeare turns those on their heads and instead uses them to illustrate how imperfect she is. The most powerful part of this sonnet is that it remains a confession of love. Despite all the flaws that Shakespeare lists his mistress has, he closes his sonnet off by saying that his love is just as deep as that spoken about in poetry, and because he acknowledges reality, it is more honest. This take is very fresh because it shows that true love is not as perfect as poems may proclaim, and is still honest and beautiful despite flaws. This can pertain to any situation in daily life, when the love that is portrayed in the media is extremely contrived and unrealistic, and promotes an idyllic view of relationships (#goals) that don't acknowledge that everyone has flaws. Sonnet 130 is interesting because it takes a comedic approach to talk about realistic love.

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma Cohen | 7 comments Emma Cohen per. 1

Be not afeard. The isle is full of noises,
Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices
That, if I then had waked after long sleep
Will make me sleep again; and then in dreaming
The clouds methought would open and show riches
Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked
I cried to dream again

Throughout the Tempest Caliban is portrayed a drunken monster and over time becomes a purely ridiculous character. However, in this excerpt the audience sees a side of him that explores the depth of the character and his hold on reality. These lines, spoken by Caliban to Stephano and Trinculo during the play is considered one of the most poetic in the play. In this speech Caliban is trying to explain the music that is brought to them by magic. Caliban is unsure where these noises come from and in describing them coveys the wondrous nature of the island. It is as though he is sitting at the top of a symphony hall before the conductor comes on. The quite hum consumes him and therefore draws him into another world.

In an age of virtual reality, Pokemon Go, and social media the line between the real world and a screen is often blurred. It is easy to become dissatisfied with ones own life, as a new one is just a click away. This sentiment is clearly expressed in this passage. Caliban, so enchanted with the magical music wishes that he could re-live it rather than continue without it.

message 31: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Gelman | 1 comments Josh Gelman
Period 1

BASSANIO
Madam, you have bereft me of all words.
Only my blood speaks to you in my veins.
And there is such confusion in my powers
As after some oration fairly spoke
By a beloved prince there doth appear
Among the buzzing pleasèd multitude,
Where every something, being blent together,
Turns to a wild of nothing, save of joy,
Expressed and not expressed. But when this ring
Parts from this finger, then parts life from hence.
O, then be bold to say Bassanio’s dead!

-Merchant of Venice Act 3 Scene 2

Bassanio has just opened the correct casket with the letter and picture of Portia. Bassanio loves Portia so much that he saw past the riches and more of who she was. With that in mind he picked the lead casket other than the silver or gold representing greed for just her riches. This gives him the right to marry her and inherit her riches. Portia presents him with a ring and he explains to her the only time the ring will come off is when he dies. Portia also was delighted he picked the correct casket because she was in love with him as well. If he were to pick the wrong casket Portia and Bassanio could not see each other ever again.

In present day you can see this all the time, but it does not always have to be about love it can be about passion and dreams. For example say you had a choice to go to the best most rigorous school ever with a full scholar ship or an opportunity to do what you great at for an amazing pay check; which one would you choose? Some would go for the money and some would go for the knowledge. This scenario is similar to the one in the Merchant of Venice because if you choose the wrong casket or the right casket it could either make you life great or horrible.

message 32: by Gianna (new)

Gianna Neathammer | 7 comments Gianna Neathammer Period 2

Sonnet 18

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date"

This Shakespeare poem was written to the beloved. He poses the idea of comparison between this beloved, and a summer’s day. He goes on to say that the cherished one is more “lovely and more temperate” than a summer’s day. In lines 3 and 4, he starts to describe summer and how it doesn’t last long enough. This connects to current times in many ways such as the songs that are written today. Today, most songs are about love and comparing the loved one to something else whether it’s a season, or even a car. Though it is said with less romanticism, songs today link to the idea of the loved one being superior to other objects, or people. The idea of summer being considerably short is an obvious idea we see currently. Especially because school starts so soon. In lines 1-4 of Sonnet 18, Shakespeare used imagery and personification to convey his point.

message 33: by Isa (new)

Isa Harris | 7 comments Isa Harris: Pd. 2

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Shakespeare's 116th Sonnet speaks of love in its truest form and how it lasts the testaments of time, triumphs, and tribulations. It shows that love guides the way and without it you have not lived. Throughout the sonnet he talks of romance and the effects it has on man, but in the end realizes that if he is incorrect in his assumptions of love he shall never write again. In this day and age, LGBTQ relationships are extremely important, but human beings make several accusations about how these people are supposed to love. This sonnet can be applied to real life in the sense that love is love no matter what, and it is guided in the stars. The world must live in harmony because oppressing love and only allowing a man and a woman to love one another is not the solution and Shakespeare's sonnet perfectly applies to the situation that you may love whoever because it endures until the last day of life.

message 34: by Chiara (last edited Aug 05, 2016 05:52PM) (new)

Chiara | 7 comments The Merchant of Venice
Act 2 Scene 7
“All that glisters is not gold—
Often have you heard that told.
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold.
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been inscrolled.
Fare you well. Your suit is cold—
Cold, indeed, and labor lost.”
Then, farewell, heat, and welcome, frost!

"All that glitters is not gold"

Morocco (Shakespeare's character) is saying that not everything turns out to be as true and good as it may seem. For example, people make themselves seem better than they really are. This is applicable to current times through this years election. Often times candidates will say things to get people on their sides, however they do not follow through. This makes them seem like a good choice, but later you may realize that they made false promises. In Shakespeare's time, and in the present, you must always be careful because people and things are not always be as they seem.

message 35: by Mara (new)

Mara Osterburg | 4 comments Mara Osterburg
Period 2

Puppet? why so? ay, that way goes the game.
Now I perceive that she hath made compare
Between our statures; she hath urged her height;
And with her personage, her tall personage,
Her height, forsooth, she hath prevail'd with him.
And are you grown so high in his esteem;
Because I am so dwarfish and so low?
How low am I, thou painted maypole? speak;
How low am I? I am not yet so low
But that my nails can reach unto thine eyes.

This excerpt from A Midsummer Night’s Dream from Act 3 Scene 2 said by Hermia, is in response to Helena insulting her because she thinks that Hermia is acting out a prank and having Lysander (Hermia’s love) pretend to be in love with Helena. Although this is one of Shakespeare’s comedies, this is not simply a monologue of rage. It is a speech that shows the human emotions and how quickly it can escalate. When Hermia starts she is mad and trying to figure out why Helena is saying these things to her, but by the end, Hermia is so mad that she doesn’t care for the reasons behind it. This is relatable to everyday life, especially in high school with school friends, because sometimes we try to understand why people are mad at us and we think to hard when really we just need to express our anger and then deal with the situation after.

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace | 4 comments Grace Burns Period 2

Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O, prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.
Not a flower, not a flower sweet
On my black coffin let there be strown;
Not a friend, not a friend greet
My poor corpse, where my bones shall be thrown:
A thousand thousand sighs to save,
Lay me, O, where
Sad true lover never find my grave,
To weep there!

In Act 2, Scene 4 of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, Orsino demands to hear a song from the fool. The song as described by Orsino, tells the simple truth about innocent love, as it was in the old days and the impact heartache had on a person. The fool sings about a man who fell in love with a women and due to the heartbreak of the loss he is now left with wanting to die. The man in the song is ashamed of the loss and the unending feeling of death, that he doesn't want happiness or love at his funeral. This song and writing within Shakespeare’s work displays in modern times, the heartbreak of a person's first love. The feeling that loss can feel like death and any and all happiness around them can be intoxicating.

message 37: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Gardner | 7 comments Tanner Gardner
Period 1
"When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time’s waste:
Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
For precious friends hid in death’s dateless night,
And weep afresh love’s long since cancelled woe,
And moan the expense of many a vanished sight:
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o’er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."

Shakespeare's Sonnet 30 discusses the opportunities that the narrator failed to achieve in his past, and his sorrow caused from these missed opportunities. The narrator also laments the deaths of his close friends. However, the narrator explains that when he thinks of his "dear friend" that the sonnet is written to, his grief fades away. This connects to everyday life because in times of sorrow and tragedy in life, one can depend on their closest friends to bring them comfort and solace.

message 38: by Talia (new)

Talia Gordon | 7 comments Talia Gordon, Period 1

True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain,
Begot of nothing but vain fantasy,
Which is as thin of substance as the air
And more inconstant than the wind, who wooes
Even now the frozen bosom of the north,
And, being anger'd, puffs away from thence,
Turning his face to the dew-dropping south.

This excerpt from Act 1, Scene 4 of Romeo and Juliet, spoken by Mercutio in response to Romeo’s assertion that Mercutio’s previous monologue about Queen Mab of the fairies was “nothing”. In this segment of verse Mercutio appears to be saying that dreams themselves are inconsistent, that they have no solid basis whatsoever, and in doing so argues that Romeo’s dream has no bearing on his life-- after all, “dreamers often lie”. Of course, Benvolio dismisses the statement as pure drivel, but as readers we can see the value in Mercutio’s argument, though the meat of it is not substantially different in a modern interpretation. As far as applying this excerpt to today’s society, dreams could also reference any virtual reality game wherein one feels as though things that occur matter, but there’s no foundation to the belief, and thus it has no bearing on reality. Regardless, there’s truth in Mercutio’s rejection of dreaming as meaningless both in Shakespeare’s day and in the modern one. After all, humanity has always dreamed.

message 39: by John (new)

John Bickle | 7 comments John Bickle
Period 1

Mine eye and heart are at a mortal war,
How to divide the conquest of thy sight;
Mine eye my heart thy picture's sight would bar,
My heart mine eye the freedom of that right.
My heart doth plead that thou in him dost lie,
A closet never pierced with crystal eyes,
But the defendant doth that plea deny,
And says in him thy fair appearance lies.
To 'cide this title is impannelled
A quest of thoughts, all tenants to the heart;
And by their verdict is determined
The clear eye's moiety, and the dear heart's part:
As thus: mine eye's due is thine outward part,
And my heart's right, thine inward love of heart.

Shakespeare’s 46th sonnet describes a mental battle between the heart and the eyes. It’s a fight between who controls the image of the poet’s lover. A mental jury is created, and ultimately it is determined that the eye controls external beauty while the heart controls that which lies within. The mental battle that occurs in this sonnet is mirrored in modern society; the importance of appearance versus personality in other people is often debated. Some argue that good looks outweigh bad personality, while others feel that a good personality trumps all else. Shakespeare describes the eyes’ desire to block what the heart feels, and how the eyes feel that what they see should be held as more important than what the heart determines. The heart, however, is described as wanting appearance to be of less importance than emotional attributes. Altogether, the work dabbles in the mental battle of what the eye sees as opposed to what the heart feels-- an issue that is often disputed in our modern society.

message 40: by Kaeley (new)

Kaeley Cahill | 7 comments Kaeley Cahill Period 1

"Things base and vile, holding no quantity,
Love can transpose to form and dignity.
Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind;
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." -A Midsummer Nights Dream

This quote is an explanation of what love should truly be. Love is a powerful thing that can make anything feel or even look more beautiful than you originally imagined it to be. Shakespeare explains that love isn't what you can see, but what you can feel and know inside of you. It shouldn't be about a physical appearance because the love that you feel for someone else should purely be created by knowing who the person is on the inside and shouldn't be seen on the outside. This connects to society today because I feel that we have lost this idea. Media has made all ideas of relationships completely based on the looks of a significant other and if that person doesn't meet our standards we don't even bother to learn more about them or get to know them on a further level. Love, today, is based entirely on physical attributes we decide to find attractive and this quote should be used as a place society should try to return to, a place where people fall in love blindly.

message 41: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Schwartzberg | 7 comments Jacob Schwartzberg

"A nobler man, a braver warrior,
Lives not this day within the city walls:
He by the senate is accit'd home
From weary wars against the barbarous Goths."

In Shakespeare's work "Titus Andronicus" when Marcus declares the fact thatTitus hascome home from the war against the Goths, he describes the people that Rome has been fighting as barbarous. He states a common stereotype about the Goths. Additionally, he says that the Romans are the opposites of the barbaric people.

However, directly after this Shakespeare shows us that the Roman people are as capable if not more capable of violence than the Goths. Titus sacrifices Tamora's oldest son even though the Queen begged otherwise, then he murders his own son in cold blood. Shakespeare is proving to the reader or viewer that despite the way something looks, things are rarely as they may seem.

message 42: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Page | 7 comments Taylor Page period 1

Well, in that hit you miss: she'll not be hit
With Cupid's arrow; she hath Dian's wit;
And, in strong proof of chastity well arm'd,
From love's weak childish bow she lives unharm'd.
She will not stay the siege of loving terms,
Nor bide the encounter of assailing eyes,
Nor ope her lap to saint-seducing gold:
O, she is rich in beauty, only poor,
That when she dies with beauty dies her store.

This is from Shakespheres' Romeo and Juliet act 1 scene 1. Juliet refuses to be hit by cupids arrow. Cupid, the Roman god of love, shoots arrows at humans that make them fall in love. Diana is the Roman goddess of virginity and hunting. She’s as clever as Diana, and shielded by the armor of chastity. She can’t be touched by the weak and childish arrows of love. She won’t listen to words of love, or let you look at her with loving eyes, or open her lap to receive gifts of gold. She’s rich in beauty, but she’s also poor, because when she dies her beauty will be destroyed with her.

message 43: by Ryan (last edited Aug 06, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Ryan Freedman | 7 comments Ryan Freedman
Period 1
How all occasions do inform against me,
And spur my dull revenge! What is a man,
If his chief good and market of his time
Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more.
Sure, he that made us with such large discourse,
Looking before and after, gave us not
That capability and god-like reason
To fust in us unused. Now, whether it be
Bestial oblivion, or some craven scruple
Of thinking too precisely on the event,
A thought which, quarter'd, hath but one part wisdom
And ever three parts coward, I do not know
Why yet I live to say 'This thing's to do;'
Hamlet Act 4, Scene 4

These lines are from Hamlet on the plain in Denmark. Hamlet speaks to a captain from the Norwegian army, who is attempting to attack Poland, although he tells Hamlet that his campaign will have little impact and is for a tiny parcel of worthless land. Hamlet begins the above monologue. Here, Hamlet is commenting on what he feels is the purposelessness of his own existence and the tendency of humans towards leading purposeless lives.

message 44: by Bella (new)

Bella Speelman | 7 comments Bella Speelman pd 2
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages."

In this quote from Shakespeare's As You Like It, he is looking at the fact that just as an actor many times plays different roles, you play many different roles in your own life. Throughout our lives, a lot of us will take the roles of a child, a friend, a parent, an aunt or uncle, a worker, a leader, a follower, etc. All of these roles in our lives make up who we are. Our exits and entrances are the lives of others which we enter and eventually depart, and how we change and shape them. With each role we change who we ourselves are by gaining more knowledge from each of the said roles that we play, just as an actor does.

message 45: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Nichols | 7 comments "Sigh no more ladies, Sigh no more,

Men were deceivers ever,

One foot on sea and one on shore,

To one thing constant never.

Then sigh not so, but let them go,

And be you blithe and bonny.

Converting all your sounds of woe,

Into "Hey, nonny nonny.""

- Much to do about nothing.

This quote by Shakespeare has always been one of my favorites for it's plain and simple meaning. This quote explains a very important and simple life lesson for most. In this quote it is explained to women that most men do not not commit and that women should quit worrying over this. "One foot on sea and one on shore." This specific line from the quote explains just how much Shakespeare can identify the fear of commitment and men. This witty attempt to deliver a strong message speaks to manny people and groups at once and is easily interpreted, even today.

To this day you can find this message all over society and portrayed in many stories of romantic relationships. Even in my own experience in choir we have done songs with these exact words written centuries apart. This goes to show that this massage is lasting. So much so that it has almost become a stereotype amongst men in our society.

Overall Shakespeare has proven knowledgable about life and it's obstacles. Because of this there are many pop culture and media references to him. This message is specifically applicable to many lives and will be for years to come.

message 46: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell Ryan | 5 comments Maxwell Ryan

"Full many a glorious morning have I seen
Flatter the mountain tops with sovereign eye,
Kissing with golden face the meadows green,
Gilding pale streams with heavenly alchemy;
Anon permit the basest clouds to ride
With ugly rack on his celestial face,
And from the forlorn world his visage hide,
Stealing unseen to west with this disgrace:
Even so my sun one early morn did shine,
With all triumphant splendour on my brow;
But out, alack, he was but one hour mine,
The region cloud hath mask'd him from me now.
Yet him for this my love no whit disdaineth;
Suns of the world may stain when heaven's sun staineth."

This whole sonnet, yet alone the line about "he was only one hour mine" shows something of an appreciation of his youth from a lover, and the sun being compared to a king or queen, and the admiration for a ruler of such stature. The clouds block out the sun, and this is a sad line, making me think of a love that you once felt, and an affinity for a lover who is now with somebody else blocking them away from you, where you have to silently admire from a distance. You can never quite reach the sun or your youth, and this sonnet displays that with a lot of modern day meaning, (as love is timeless!)

message 47: by Rose (new)

Rose Cobb | 8 comments “Love is not love
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken."

(Sonnet 116)”

This particular passage of Shakespeare, when removed entirely from backstory or context, is a timeless testament to the patience and tenacity that must be present in love in order for it to brave the test of whatever hardships with which it is faced. Shakespeare's writing, in pertinence to romance, even to this day resounds with an air of unshakable truth, which one could easily believe is the reason to it's longevity, and is a significant factor in establishing it's relevance at present and indisputably for many years to come. One line in particular, "That looks on tempests and is never shaken," is striking both in the imagery it evokes, the merciless destruction of a natural disaster, and it's depth. It attests that love in its truest most unequivocal form, is not fleeting, or punctuated by thoughtless swells of lust and disdain, but rather characterized by a steady and unrelenting strength, consistency and unconditional dedication.

message 48: by Artur (new)

Artur Korotin | 3 comments From fairest creatures we desire increase,
That thereby beauty's rose might never die,
But as the riper should by time decease,
His tender heir might bear his memory:
But thou contracted to thine own bright eyes,
Feed'st thy light's flame with self-substantial fuel,
Making a famine where abundance lies,
Thy self thy foe, to thy sweet self too cruel:
Thou that art now the world's fresh ornament,
And only herald to the gaudy spring,
Within thine own bud buriest thy content,
And, tender churl, mak'st waste in niggarding:
Pity the world, or else this glutton be,
To eat the world's due, by the grave and thee

This sonnet speaks of values and how those inheriting don't appreciate what they obtain as much as those who earn it. "Beauty's rose" being an accomplishment of a "fairest creature" that gives to the common man. The "tender heir" is anyone that is to potentially uptake the responsibility of the "fairest creature". At this point there could be two outcomes-one outcome would be that the heir also become as fair as those before them or where they lay waste to what has been done while taking with them the remaining benefits of "beauty's rose". By the end, Shakespeare asks this creature to take pity on the world and not take away the beauty this gift presents because if everyone will just consume the world's gifts like that there won't be a world left.

A parallel of today would be anyone inheriting any form of leadership like a child inheriting the money or company of their parents and not keeping up this chain of hard work that gave to the community making this child just another consumer of the parent's fruit of hard work.

message 49: by Caitie (new)

Caitie Smith | 5 comments Caitie Smith
Period 2

“All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts.”
—Jaques in As You Like It

This short, yet strong quote from Jaques in As You Like It by William Shakespeare has a powerful meaning behind it. This speech, in the context of the play, was a continuance of the idea given by Orlando earlier in the play. Shakespeare draws attention to his readers in his plays through dramas that are lived/ ones he had to live throughout his life. The meaning of these lines is simply that humans are merely players, and they play their allotted roles in everyday lives. An example of this would be if someone is now a soldier, they are playing the role the Lord has given them. This goes along with lots of other professionals. Other roles, smaller in this case, could be a grumpy middle aged man, or someone who is excellent at a sport, or a young lover even.

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie Luchtenburg | 7 comments Mr. Eric Mills wrote: "1) Copy and paste, or type up your 4-10 (more is ok) lines of Shakespeare. Then 2) comment with a brief description of the verse. Make note of how you see a contemporary incarnation. What I mean is..."
Katie Luchtenburg
P. 2

Shakespeare Sonnet 12: When I do count the clock that tells the time,
And see the brave day sunk in hideous night;
When I behold the violet past prime,
And sable curls, all silvered o'er with white;
When lofty trees I see barren of leaves,
Which erst from heat did canopy the herd,
And summer's green all girded up in sheaves,
Borne on the bier with white and bristly beard,
Then of thy beauty do I question make,
That thou among the wastes of time must go,
Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsake
And die as fast as they see others grow;
And nothing 'gainst Time's scythe can make defence
Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.

Although overly popular, this sonnet is my favorite by Shakespeare as it accurately illustrates the passage of time. The nogolstia that sinks through the 12th sonnet, perhaps placed twelfth to represent the 12 months in a year, goes beyond the simple passing of time depicted through the language and leaves the reader breathless; time is an abstract idea. The idea of mortality is so bluntly displayed in a way that relieves copious amounts of anxiety surrounding the idea of the beginning and the end. I found that this especially applies to enter senior year, as ridiculous as it sounds, as a part of our lives we believed would last forever is coming to an end; our piece of forever is fading.

« previous 1