2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > TBR Twins, August

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Here are your TBR twins for August! We have a higher proportion of repeat participants than usual--because of this, I've only gone back three months to check for repeats (normally I go back six months). So it's very possible that you're paired with someone you've been paired with before. Hopefully you enjoy twinning together again!

Please message your twin to pick a book to read then post what you chose here. We would also love to hear what you both thought once you've finished. If you do not hear back from your twin, please post here so we can make other arrangements for you.

Yara
Tiffany

Dramapuppy
Leilani

Devi
Tereza

Sammi
Gabriella

Susan
Nurai

Isavella
Sabina

Kellie
Haley

Claire
Joaquin

Sherry
Corinne

Alexxy
Diana

Lauri
Anissa

Lucia
Mahsa

Jess
Cassandra

Kelll
Caro

Sydney
Tammie

Brandi
Kat

Kathryn
Anita

Rose
Elaine

Eileen
Harsha

Cosmic
Grace

Babitix
Renie

Emily
Lori

Stefani - SpelingExpirt
Janine

Precious
Lora

Melissa
Kara

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments How to compare books:

1. Go to your twin's profile and click "compare books"

2. In the top right corner, set the "common shelves" to "to read." If you or your partner keeps the TBR list somewhere other than the "to read" shelf, then you can use the two fields under that to compare books.

This should give you a neat list of everything you have in common.

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Melissa and I will be reading The Alienist.

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments Janine and I are going to be reading The Colour of Magic

JustThatBookishBabe (justthatbookishgirl) Yara and I are going to read The Five People You Meet in Heaven

message 6: by Dramapuppy (new)

Dramapuppy | 195 comments Thanks for doing this, Kara! Leilani and I will read House of Leaves

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments Corinne and I decided on A Court of Thorns and Rosess by Sarah J. Maas! I'm excited about this one and I haven't even finish the her other series yet.

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen  | 190 comments Harsha and I didn't have any books in common but we found something to read together :) we'll start with a book from his shelf Frankenstein and maybe later a book from my shelf if we have time The Time Traveler's Wife

message 9: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Contacted my TBR Twin. Waiting to hear back

message 10: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 992 comments Kelll and I will be reading The Last American VampireI am really looking forward!

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess Cassandra and I are doing The Poisonwood Bible.

message 12: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Jess, I absolutely love that book! I hope you both enjoy it.

message 13: by Nurai (new)

Nurai | 678 comments I messaged my TBR twin, but I haven't heard back yet.

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Hudac (ladyanaid) | 196 comments Alexxy and I will be reading Looking for Alaska.

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Precious, have you heard back yet from yours? If not, maybe you and Nurai could partner.

message 16: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 61 comments Messaged my twin five days ago and still haven't gotten a response yet. How long should I wait before assuming my twin is AWOL or MIA...?

message 17: by Nurai (new)

Nurai | 678 comments Oh yeah, that would work for me!

message 18: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Kara wrote: "Precious, have you heard back yet from yours? If not, maybe you and Nurai could partner."

I havent heard back. Thats fine with me.

message 19: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Nurai wrote: "Oh yeah, that would work for me!"

I just messaged you!

message 20: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Brandi wrote: "Messaged my twin five days ago and still haven't gotten a response yet. How long should I wait before assuming my twin is AWOL or MIA...?"

You are welcome to join me and Nurai if she is fine with being my reading buddy

message 21: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 61 comments I still haven't heard back from my twin, so I'm cool with joining you two.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 159 comments Renie and I are going to read The Secret Garden.

message 23: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Hi Brandi! I'd be happy to be your twin. Goodreads doesn't allow 3-way messaging, so doing a trio read might be a bit tricky. I'll send a message. :)

message 24: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Nurai and I are reading The Raven Boys!

message 25: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Brandi wrote: "I still haven't heard back from my twin, so I'm cool with joining you two." I just read we can't do three way messaging. We can definitely be twins next time or we can do buddy reading in our free time.

message 26: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 61 comments Precious wrote: "I just read we can't do three way messaging. We can definitely be twins next time or we can do buddy reading in our free time..."

Thank you, Precious. It's a shame that Goodreads doesn't allow 3-way messaging. If we can't be twins, then let's do some buddy reading.

It looks like you and I are twinsies, Cassandra.

message 27: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Brandi wrote: "Precious wrote: "I just read we can't do three way messaging. We can definitely be twins next time or we can do buddy reading in our free time..."

Thank you, Precious. It's a shame that Goodreads ..."

Ok!

message 28: by Mahsa (new)

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments Luci and I are reading Paper Towns :)

message 29: by Claire (new)

Claire  (claire6452) | 713 comments Joaquin and I are reading Mrs. Dalloway

It's a short book, so if anyone is still without a twin for the month, I can probably pair up and do two.

message 30: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 61 comments So August TBR Twins got interesting.

Today, my new TBR Twin, Cassandra, and I decided to read Prince of Thorns, and yesterday, my original TBR Twin, Kat, contacted me, saying she just got back from vacation and agreed to reading Wallbanger. Ah, the chaos my eagerness and impatience has wrought. Lol.

Even if one ends up being a buddy read, or they both are my twins, I'm still reading with both books with them because why not? The more, the merrier! :D

message 31: by Dramapuppy (new)

Dramapuppy | 195 comments Leilani and I are abandoning House of Leaves at 75 and 50 pages, respectively. It's dry as dirt and we weren't on track to finish. Do not recommend.

We still wanted to do a twin read together, so we are now starting A Head Full of Ghosts.

message 32: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Dramapuppy, I slogged through it and didn't find it improving. I think you made the right decision. It was interesting but not enjoyable for me.

message 33: by Precious (new)

Precious (precioush) Dramapuppy wrote: "Leilani and I are abandoning House of Leaves at 75 and 50 pages, respectively. It's dry as dirt and we weren't on track to finish. Do not recommend.

We still wanted to do a twin read ..."

I didn't make it to pg. 25. Definitely sleep-worthy.

message 34: by Diana (new)

Diana Hudac (ladyanaid) | 196 comments Alexxy and I finished a while ago Looking for Alaska by John Green. Alexxy liked it and gave it 3 stars. It got 4 stars from me since I really enjoyed it.

message 35: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 61 comments Cassandra and I finished Prince of Thorns. We both liked it, and we both found the setting and the lore fascinating - fascinating enough to want to read the sequel.

Kat and I finished Wallbanger yesterday. She and I had fun reading it until around 80 or 90% of the book, when the shininess wore of for both of us.

message 36: by Dramapuppy (new)

Dramapuppy | 195 comments Kara, Precious, I'm glad we made the right choice! It seemed like it might be building to a scary conclusion, but we weren't going to finish on time. Now I know not to pick it up again. A Head Full of Ghosts is going much better so far.

JustThatBookishBabe (justthatbookishgirl) Yara and I actually read two books together. The first was The Five People You Meet in Heaven and then Anna and the French Kiss. We both really enjoyed both.

message 38: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Kelly (goodreadscomsjaskelly) | 111 comments Isavella and i will read "The Poisonwood Bible"

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire  (claire6452) | 713 comments Joaquin and I read Mrs. Dalloway. We both found the writing style to be difficult, but enjoyed the story and the things Woolf was trying to say.

I had never read any of her books, so this was an interesting choice for me. I liked the way she used irony to make her observations about society.

message 40: by KellI (new)

KellI Preston | 156 comments Caro and I finished The Last American Vampire and both gave it 4 stars.

We agreed that we like this one even better than its predecessor Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Well worth the read if you like books with a definite twist on history.

message 41: by Barbara (last edited Aug 29, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 159 comments My twin Renie and I finished The Secret Garden.

I gave it 4 stars and I really liked it. It was hard for me reading the sentences in Yorkshire English, but this book is so cute that deserves a 4. My twin finished reading it but she doesn't reply me what she thought about it :/

message 42: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1129 comments Stefani and I finished The Colour of Magic. We felt pretty similarly about it, both giving it 4 stars at the end and feeling glad we finally got around to starting the Discworld series. The book is split into four parts, and both us found part three was our least favourite, but it was pulled up by the final part which we enjoyed the most.

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments Corinne and I read A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas.

We both liked it alot! Corrine couldn't believe how evil the villain was. She said she haven't read a book with that evil of a character in a while. The story has an retold fairy tale element in it; was a mix of Beauty and the Beast and the greek myth, Psyche and Cupid. It has similar elements from those stories. Corrine was surprised that the heroine falls for the main guy and wonders if there is a love triangle later on in book #2.

We both enjoyed it very much (all 448 pages) and can't wait to read book #2. Actually, I just started book #2- A Court of Mist and Fury but Corrine isn't ready for it just yet.

message 44: by Harsha (new)

Harsha Varma (masternamer) | 74 comments Eileen and I read Frankenstein in August but we were disappointed. We didn't really like the book's style; some of the transitions in the story were too abrupt and unreal. But then, the author was 17 years old when she wrote the book and we do understand it's one of the first in the genre. As my partner was a psychologist, it was fun analyzing the characters :D

Thanks Kara for taking time out and doing this :)

message 45: by Dramapuppy (new)

Dramapuppy | 195 comments Leilani and I finished A Head Full of Ghosts (late due to our bad start with House of Stairs). We both really liked it. The writing was solid all throughout, and the ending left us with chills. A good twist on traditional horror- it adds some new ideas, but still keeps all the benefits of a good ol' possession tale.