The F-word discussion

The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
This topic is about The Witch's Daughter
GROUP READS > August FICTION selection THE WITCH'S DAUGHTER

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) This month we have a fantasy/historical fiction selection, The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston. This looks like lots of fun! Who is planning on reading this with us this month?

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Me! I won this on a goodreads giveaway (like a year ago) so this will motivate me to finally read and review it. I'm super bad about reading books I actually own...

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) I know! Somehow the library books, with their due dates, always take precedence!

Candace | 35 comments I read this several months ago because I enjoyed the first book in the series. Did not enjoy this one though; too many instances of "How does this make sense" and "Well isn't that convenient."

message 5: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) I thought this one was the first in the series?

Candace | 35 comments Candace wrote: "I read this several months ago because I enjoyed the first book in the series. Did not enjoy this one though; too many instances of "How does this make sense" and "Well isn't that convenient.""

Sorry my mistake!

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) So this one you did enjoy, right? I noticed there were seven years between the publication dates of this and its sequel, so I was wondering if she initially planned on writing a sequel. Did the first book leave things hanging, or could it have been a stand-alone?

Candace | 35 comments Alexa wrote: "So this one you did enjoy, right? I noticed there were seven years between the publication dates of this and its sequel, so I was wondering if she initially planned on writing a sequel. Did the fir..."

I searched for it in "My Books" and I read it in March 2014 and gave it 3 stars. I wish I would have given a detailed review so I could post it here! I remember I enjoyed it, I liked the idea of the book, I enjoyed the characters and their development, and I was captured enough to finish the book quickly. I do remember there were some points where I thought some of the scenes were garbled and too convenient - for example it seemed like Gideon was all-powerful and could do what he wanted, but the main character somehow kept escaping him....like she would be worried about him sensing her, yet he would conveniently stay away. I realize we are talking about witchcraft here, but I found it annoying how unbelievable some of the events were.

message 9: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) Overall though, you make it sound like fun! I'm looking forward to it!

Gayle Noble (outsmartyourshelf) This was a bit of a mish-mash of a book. The historical flashback parts were much more interesting than the present day chapters. I found it really annoying that the main character would be (view spoiler)

I also intensely disliked the two (view spoiler) which quite frankly the book could have done without. It also beggared belief that Bess would be attracted to Gideon at all considering what she witnessed. That left me feeling a bit icky.

Overall, I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing the book if it wasn't a group read. Rating: 3 stars for the historical sections, 0 for the rest.

message 11: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) Gayle, you deserve a gold star for group dedication! Thank you for your thoughtful review! (I have MUCH higher expectations for this month's books!)

Gayle Noble (outsmartyourshelf) Alexa wrote: "Gayle, you deserve a gold star for group dedication! Thank you for your thoughtful review! (I have MUCH higher expectations for this month's books!)"

Thanks :-) I am really looking forward to the Jenny Norberg book, collected it from the library yesterday.