FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Gold Fame Citrus
This topic is about Gold Fame Citrus
Group Reads > Gold Fame Citrus group discussion (August '16)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
I know next to nothing about this, other than near-future in a parched California. Yet that sounds absolutely intriguing to me! Who's planning on reading this with us this month?

message 2: by Viv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 97 comments I'll be starting this one within next few days I think.

Amanda (tnbooklover) I read this a few months ago and gave it 4 stars. I thought it was a very well written literary dystopia. Reminded me a lot of Station Eleven. I'll be interested to see what you guys think.

message 4: by Alexa (new) - added it

Oh I loved Station Eleven! That's really high praise!

Amanda (tnbooklover) I don't think this book was marketed very well. It seems under read. I hope you guys like it.

message 6: by Alexa (new) - added it

This has a wonderful first sentence: "Punting the prairie dog into the library was a mistake." Doesn't that just leave you desperate to read on?

message 7: by Alexa (new) - added it

I meant to take this slowly, but I can't help myself, I'm racing right through it!

message 8: by Viv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 97 comments I've started too. I think the author is doing a great job at evoking the barren dryness of the land. Some of the language used is quite poetic. It makes me feel thirsty just reading it! Although I do keep being reminded of Mad Max :-)

message 9: by Alexa (new) - added it

This is all way too close to home for me, I grew up in California, I'm a fourth generation Californian - this is all too, too, possible!

Karen (kaye1119) | 5 comments Just finished this. The writing is outstanding, although the story is sometimes uneven.

message 11: by Alexa (new) - added it

The middle part of this is kind of driving me crazy - it's bouncing around all over the place.

Karen (kaye1119) | 5 comments Alexa wrote: "The middle part of this is kind of driving me crazy - it's bouncing around all over the place."

There is at least one chapter that veers off course that I really didn't understand ...

message 13: by Viv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 97 comments I must admit that I enjoyed Book 1 more than Book 2 in this. I thought that occasionally the writing veered from creative/experimental into pretentious.

It is becoming a bit clearer afterwards of the point of the "Neo-Fauna of the Amargosa Dune Sea: a primer" and I loved the descriptions and illustrations of some of the animals, especially the Stiltwalker Tortoise (also called the Dali Tortoise - how cool is that?!)

message 14: by Alexa (new) - added it

You're right, the Dali Tortoise is very cool!

message 15: by Viv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 97 comments On finishing the book I would say that it was a pretty interesting take on the genre, though I wasn't sure about the pacing, especially during the middle section. I think the author made her main characters flawed to the point of not being likeable, and that was a brave decision. They made some crappy decisions, but isn't that human nature, especially when under such pressure?

I didn't love it, but I liked it enough that I would read more from this author in the future.

Karen (kaye1119) | 5 comments I agree ... I love her writing but I didn't LOVE the book. And I agree with your comments on pacing. By the end I was ready to finish it and move on to something else. I would read more from her if she wrote another novel though.

message 17: by Alexa (new) - added it

Eh. Parts of this were brilliant, and parts of this drove me absolutely crazy. One minute we're being lectured at about nuclear waste, then this loooong sarcastic riff on TV programming, then this mystical stuff that just undercuts what I might presume to think was the main plot. Not to mention a trite melodramatic plot twist that I saw coming a mile away and couldn't believe she was really going to use. And then just when I'm ready to pull my hair out in frustration she gives us moments of such poetic beauty and some deeply important stuff about a cult mind that made me want to cry.