Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's July Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments 1. Day of the Dead, J.A. Jance. Yet another book about a serial killer, but at least there's a slight twist. 4

2. Little Elvises, Timothy Hallinan. Gotta admit, this was a unique plot. Hallinan is entertaining. 4

3. Path of the Assassin, Brad Thor. This is the second book in the Scott Harvath series. The first one must have been better or I would never have read this one. 3

4. Chasing the Dime, Michael Connelly. Early stand-alone didn't grab me like the other 25 or so books of his I've read. 4Minus

5. The Last Ranch, Michael McGarrity. I liked everything about this book but the ending. 4

6. Stealing the Countess, David Housewright. If he'd stop saying, "my inner self," I'd probably grade it higher. 4Miunus

message 2: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Good month. Chasing the Dimewasmy least favorite Connelly book

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments Good month, Dan-O!! :-)

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Great month! Agree with your critique of Chasing the Dime, and Stealing the Countess!

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1229 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Good month. Chasing the Dime was my least favorite Connelly book"

I think that was pretty much the consensus so I decided to skip that one. Not all books can be great but Michael Connelly has a pretty high batting average.

The Junior Bender series looks like fun.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments i read Chasing the Dime quite some time ago,. but it did not impress.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Good month Dan! I did like Chasing the Dime :)

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14963 comments Nice month Dan! I keep meaning to get back to J A Jance's books. Little Elvises looks intriguing and I somehow forgot that Michael McGarrity has a prequel trilogy set in the old west. I guess I need to add those books to my ever expanding to be read list too!
I read Chasing the Dime in 2002 so don't remember much about it.

Dan in AZ wrote: "1. Day of the Dead, J.A. Jance. Yet another book about a serial killer, but at least there's a slight twist. 4
2. Little Elvises, Timothy Hallinan. Gotta admit, this was a unique plot.
...The Last Ranch, Michael McGarrity. I liked everything about this book but the ending. 4"

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments I am keeping up with Jance, though sometimes she seems so yesterday.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14963 comments Barry: I sometimes wonder if a series that stays more or less the same is because the publisher wants that or the author is past the point of being interested in change. There is a point where a series that feels like a comfortable old shoe needs some new style.
Barry wrote: "I am keeping up with Jance, though sometimes she seems so yesterday."

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Connelly (other topics)