Books on the Nightstand discussion

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
This topic is about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Book Specific Discussions > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Aug 01, 2016 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 90 comments ***Don't read any further if you haven't read (and plan to read) the book.***

Dear bookish friends, has anyone else finished this book? We went to the book release party at Barnes & Noble and I read the whole thing yesterday. Now I'm waiting impatiently for my daughter, one sister, and two nieces to read it so I can chat about it.

It's not quite like having another novel in the HP universe, unfortunately, but given that we thought there would never be another story with the original characters, I'll take it.

I only had one major continuity quibble, related to the polyjuice potionmaking: how did Delphi, Albus, and Scorpius get hairs from Harry, Ron, and Hermione to use for the potions? Plus, also, doesn't it take a long time to make the potion? I seem to remember it taking ages.

In reading other reviews online, apparently others were peeved that time-turners were integral to the plot, given that supposedly all of them at the Ministry of Magic were destroyed. I think the fact that two remained and that Draco Malfoy had one of them is consistent with the books. Malfoy's father always wanted to have things that weren't allowed; it makes complete sense that Draco would follow in his footsteps this way.

Julie | 14 comments I finished it earlier today! My question was about them traveling back to the Triwizard Tournament - why was it 1994 one time and 1995 the other times?
Overall, I really enjoyed it, although I wish it had been a novel with fully fleshed out characters. I would love to learn more about James, Lily, and Rose.
And, I don't have an answer about the hair either! I thought it took a month to brew. Maybe advances in wizardry in 18 years?

Laura | 90 comments Julie wrote: "I finished it earlier today! My question was about them traveling back to the Triwizard Tournament - why was it 1994 one time and 1995 the other times?
Overall, I really enjoyed it, although I wis..."

Yes, I think everyone is wishing it had been a new novel and not a play . . .

Re: the years -- I think because the Triwizard Tournament took place over a whole school year, one task might've been in the fall and one in the spring of the following year?

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (bookandcat) | 31 comments finished and enjoyed it! would love to see it live.

message 5: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments No spoilers please

Julie | 14 comments Okay, the years make sense. Thank you!

Laura | 90 comments Gerald wrote: "No spoilers please"

Gerald, not to be a grouch, but how can we discuss it without spoilers? Plus, the name of the topic has the word spoilers in it to warn people off who didn't want to be spoiled. :-)

message 8: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Well I'm not a grouch. I might not see the topic when I call up the post. I have read all the Potter books and I'm a big fan of the series. I like to read the story without a clue . Sorry. I am not sure why simply asking not to use spoilers is so much of a big deal for some people. I'll take off notifications for a while.

message 9: by Savannah (new) - added it

Savannah Sher (savannahsher) | 1 comments Totally agree about the polyjuice potion- I had the exact same thought.

Sadly I really felt the distinct absence of JK Rowling's magic touch in this play. My expectations weren't very high because I knew she had only conceived the idea for the story and didn't actually write it herself, but I really expected that with her seal of approval we would at least have consistency with the wizarding world of the books. I felt that many of the characters acted in a way that was inconsistent with the ones we know and love. People like Ron and Hagrid have a very distinct way of speaking in the books and their lines were totally off in this play.

To me, The Cursed Child read like fan fiction, and not very good fan fiction at that.

As a standalone play, this is fine. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to see live as a Potter fan. But calling this the "8th story" feel totally wrong to me.

I'm really curious to know what others think!

Betsy Wolf (betsywolf) | 1 comments I did feel like Ron was a bit off, but I still enjoyed him. I even laughed out loud at him one time. I think them all being related and around each other often would make their hair easily accessible, so it was just something they breezed over for length.

I gasped at the return of Snape, that part was worth the whole thing, in my opinion! I admit, I wasn't raised on HP so my personal emotional investment has happened over the past few years. I can see lifelong Harry Potter fans have very high expectations. However, I didn't view this as canon since it's a play, not a continuation of Harry's story as much as a new and separate chapter. It was just wonderful to see all of these characters again!

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (bookandcat) | 31 comments keep in mind also usually the actors add in the accent and way of speaking, as opposed to it being written (see script for my fair lady). I think it'd be thrilling on stage but it is less successful as a book, so I have to imagine the staging and such

message 12: by Cadenxal (last edited Aug 04, 2016 05:51AM) (new)

Cadenxal Emorio | 2 comments Okay guys. What I really want to know is why did Voldemort's daughter take a job as a nurse at St. Oswald's Old Home?
GIve me a solid reason as to why she did that.
Also why is there so little mention of James and Lily Potter Jr.
and no mention of Teddy Lupin or George Weasley and where is Hugo Granger-Weasely?
I'm confused. o.O

message 13: by Cadenxal (new)

Cadenxal Emorio | 2 comments Savannah wrote: "Totally agree about the polyjuice potion- I had the exact same thought.

Sadly I really felt the distinct absence of JK Rowling's magic touch in this play. My expectations weren't very high becaus..."

I agree with you. It did not have that signature J.K Rowling-y feeling and felt......incomplete.
Also, Ron has a very solid character but in this book, he doesn't have that much existence, if you know what I mean. And Hagrid has no mention at all expect at the end when he goes into the Potters' ruined house.
Seems hastily wrapped up to me. I was a little disappointed.

Laura | 90 comments Cadenxal wrote: "Okay guys. What I really want to know is why did Voldemort's daughter take a job as a nurse at St. Oswald's Old Home?
GIve me a solid reason as to why she did that.
Also why is there so little ment..."

Completely conjecturing here: I guess she would have needed to get money for food/lodging, if she wasn't choosing to live completely off the radar of the wizarding world. A job like that might not require much schooling, so it wouldn't have been a big deal that she never went to Hogwarts. I was also unclear as to whether she was actually related to Amos Diggory. She called herself Delphi Diggory, but Mr. Diggory said he didn't have a niece.

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (bookandcat) | 31 comments She wasn't related to Diggory, but she needed him for her plot, so she was posing as his nurse. She was lying in wait until she could get her hands on a time turner or figure out a way to destroy harry potter, and she knew that controlling diggory would be a way to do so (sending him to guilt harry over and over can get her closer to it).

As for why no mention of George, Teddy, more of Hagrid, etc etc etc - well, it's a play. That's way more characters than necessary, you'd have to hire extra actors, and they were especially trying to keep it to as few child actors as possible (it's a nightmare negotiating professional kids on stage - work hours are very limited), plus then you need other adult actors who, for instance George, look like Ron or whoever without sticking out too much (you can see at the end how actors play multiple characters, red hair would stick out a lot and would create even more costume/makeup issues) and didn't really serve much of a plot. This isn't a true sequel to HP where you're checking in with everyone - it's a play, and in playwriting, a lot of stuff gets cut out for stage logistics and budgets, you want also it very streamlined or else you lose the audience in the theater. I'm surprised at some of the stuff they WERE allowed to put in the script, the entire scene with time passing at Hogwarts is very intense in terms of production value!
I agree that if you read this as a book, it doesn't feel JK Rowlingy, but as a play I see how they're trying to project her world for the stage and think it comes across in a very exciting way. It just requires a completely different writing style. I wish I could see the show :(