Pleasant Valley Library Online Book Group discussion

Book of the Month > August Book - We Are Water

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (last edited Aug 01, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Courtney | 300 comments Mod
The book for the month of August is We Are Water by Wally Lamb. You can reserve the book from the Mid-Hudson Library System here

"In middle age, Annie Oh—wife, mother, and outsider artist—has shaken her family to its core. After twenty-seven years of marriage and three children, Annie has fallen in love with Viveca, the wealthy, cultured, confident Manhattan art dealer who orchestrated her professional success.

Annie and Viveca plan to wed in the Oh family's hometown of Three Rivers, Connecticut, where gay marriage has recently been legalized. But the impending wedding provokes some very mixed reactions and opens a Pandora's box of toxic secrets—dark and painful truths that have festered below the surface of the Ohs' lives."

As you read the book, let us know what you think here!

message 2: by Courtney (new)

I started this book recently, and I'll be honest, I'm finding it a little hard to get into. I like the characters so far, but it has started out kind of slow for me. I'm going to stick with it for a while though, because it still seems like it has potential.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 63 comments I thought the story of the cousin was compelling and the author Wally Lamb is interviewed at the end to explain how he knows so much about this "topic". I think the book had several twists and turns, which is highlighted in Lambs discussion about his writing process.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

SPOILERS!
I have to admit that I'm not quite done with this book yet (vacation threw off my reading schedule), but I have a lot of thoughts on it so far. I definitely enjoy the book a lot more than I did at the beginning, and I plan on finishing it in the next few days. This book really confused me for a while; I couldn't figure out if I liked it or not. It's so different from what I normally read. I have grown attached to the characters though (more Orion than Annie). I don't really like Annie; I don't understand why she wants to marry Viveca in the first place. I don't have a problem with gay marriage or anything. Honestly, I just hate Viveca. She doesn't seem like she actually loves Annie, not like Orion does. I'm really hoping that the book ends with Annie leaving her and reconciling with Orion. I really like how the story has branched out to include Annie and Orion's children, and I look forward to see what that leads to. Overall I am surprisingly enjoying the book so far, considering my feelings about it when I first started.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Mary wrote: "I thought the story of the cousin was compelling and the author Wally Lamb is interviewed at the end to explain how he knows so much about this "topic". I think the book had several twists and turn..."

I will definitely check this out when I'm done!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 63 comments It really is a multifaceted story and I grew to like it a lot! Some surprises and some loose ends but overall a very interesting story!

message 7: by Courtney (new)

I stayed up till 2:30 last night finishing this and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I wish the whole book had been like the last 1/3 of the book because I couldn't put it down at that point. But I understand that to get the story to that point, we had to go through the whole history of the family. I'd say my favorite character was Orion. I also liked the kids. But I just could not like Annie. I understand that she had a really messed up life, and that's what caused her to do what she did but I just can't forgive her for treating her kids the way she did. I also *still* have no idea why she and Viveca are getting married. The only sign of love I see between them are at the very end of the book, and it's almost too little too late. I think the book would have been better if Lamb had developed their relationship more.

The twist with the cousin was really surprising (and honestly really hard to read at points). Even though I liked the last 1/3 of the book the best, I'm not really satisfied with how it ended. I accept why Lamb ended that way, but I really think Orion deserved a better ending than that. That being said I have to agree with you, Mary, I grew to like the book too. I think it was a worthwhile read, and I'm glad I finished it. I'd be interested to read more of Lamb's books in the future. Unfortunately, my copy of the book doesn't have the interview at the end so I have to try and find that somewhere else.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 63 comments Thank you for your thoughtful comments on Wally Lamb's book. For some reason, I stopped receiving email notifications, so I've missed lots of discussion. Hope these emails are not going into spam! In the final interview with Wally Lamb, he admits he doesn't write with any structure. He lets ideas come to him as he writes, so the resulting story becomes somewhat disjointed. I agree he could have deepened the love between Annie and Viveca; I thought it was over when Annie "destroyed" the wedding dresses! But it was interesting how each member of the family was affected by Annie's experiences. And Orion was flawed as well! I did enjoy the book.

Pleasant Valley Library Online Book Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

We Are Water (other topics)