ThatOneReader's Book Club discussion

August Book Club > August Book Club

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary ♥ (new)

Mary ♥ (sortofafairytale) | 593 comments Mod
I say that we should make another marathon but this time about manga and comics/graphic novels. Everyone will read as many as they can, starting from tomorrow :) Do you guys agree?

message 2: by Elisa (new)

Elisa The-Bookie-Monster (the-bookie-monster) | 135 comments Sounds good to me, I work in a comic book shop so I have pretty much have a library I can choose from during slower times

message 3: by Mary ♥ (new)

Elisa wrote: "Sounds good to me, I work in a comic book shop so I have pretty much have a library I can choose from during slower times"

Good :)
Also, on Thursday it's my birthday so I will recommend to each one who puts their name here a book, based off their profile and preferences. Just write your name and what book you are craving to read and I'll search my lists and recommend something

message 4: by Lin (new)

Lin Let | 142 comments Is it for the whole month?

message 5: by Alesandra (new)

Alesandra (buyanearthquake) | 80 comments Wow that's perfect, I'm so in the mood for graphic novels right now!

message 6: by Elisa (new)

Elisa The-Bookie-Monster (the-bookie-monster) | 135 comments I've just finished Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughn. 5/5 I love his other work (Saga, Y the Last Man, and Runaways) and this is no different. Basically, it's about a group of girls who deliver newspapers in the 80's and weird stuff happens, people go missing, there are weird alien-esque people walking around etc. The artwork is just beautiful, the colors are super vibrant and it fits with the story perfectly.

message 7: by Mary ♥ (new)

Elisa wrote: "I've just finished Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughn. 5/5 I love his other work (Saga, Y the Last Man, and Runaways) and this is no different. Basically, it's about a group of girls who delive..."

Good job my friend :D Continue this way

Alesandra wrote: "Wow that's perfect, I'm so in the mood for graphic novels right now!"

Glad you like it :)

Lin wrote: "Is it for the whole month?"

Yes it is. It's sort of like a TBR reducer as well :) Illustrated books count too btw xD

message 8: by Lin (new)

Lin Let | 142 comments Oh ok :)

message 9: by Lin (new)

Lin Let | 142 comments My book has photographs but it's a YA novel

message 10: by Mary ♥ (new)

Lin wrote: "My book has photographs but it's a YA novel"

Lin wrote: "Oh ok :)"

If you mean Ms Peregrine's Home, it counts I think. But you will have to read the whole trilogy for the marathon

message 11: by Elisa (new)

Elisa The-Bookie-Monster (the-bookie-monster) | 135 comments Oooohhh I still need to read Library of Souls but I need the paperback to come out so they all match

message 12: by Mary ♥ (new)

Elisa wrote: "Oooohhh I still need to read Library of Souls but I need the paperback to come out so they all match"

I see :) ♥
I do not know which series I am gonna be reading yet but I think it'll be either Black Butler or Soul Eater (yes, I love manga)

message 13: by Lin (new)

Lin Let | 142 comments I'll try my best to get my hands on the rest of them this month but I'll also read manga for the readathon and other illustrated books

message 14: by Mary ♥ (new)

Lin wrote: "I'll try my best to get my hands on the rest of them this month but I'll also read manga for the readathon and other illustrated books"

Good :) same here
I may read the Infernal Devices in manga version

message 15: by Lin (new)

Lin Let | 142 comments Does illuminae count? It's not a normal YA structured book because it is told through emails and files and they draw the computer files and stuff. Sorry I just don't have many graphic novels and I'm going to go get some more in my local library soon.

message 16: by Kami (new)

Kami (kalicu) | 187 comments Mod
Yes it can count! Sorry I haven't been here much--on vacation in Spain. :D

message 17: by Mary ♥ (new)

Kami wrote: "Yes it can count! Sorry I haven't been here much--on vacation in Spain. :D"

How was Spain? :D

Lin wrote: "Does illuminae count? It's not a normal YA structured book because it is told through emails and files and they draw the computer files and stuff. Sorry I just don't have many graphic novels and I'..."

Yeah, Illuminae counts :)

message 18: by Elisa (new)

Elisa The-Bookie-Monster (the-bookie-monster) | 135 comments I've just finished Bee and Puppycat Vol 2. 5/5 I adore this series it's a lot of fun to read and it's super cute!

message 19: by Mary ♥ (new)

Elisa wrote: "I've just finished Bee and Puppycat Vol 2. 5/5 I adore this series it's a lot of fun to read and it's super cute!"

Good :D
I am reading Soul Eater. It's also very cool, full of fun and adventure. It has some nudity in it though but there's nothing I can do to avoid it, so...
But still, it's a very good series so far!!
I'm excited to finish it this month

message 20: by Alesandra (new)

Alesandra (buyanearthquake) | 80 comments I'm binging Saga and it's the best!
I've also read Paper Girls and you were right, it was so awesome!

message 21: by Lin (new)

Lin Let | 142 comments I recommend Smile by Raina Telegiemer, it is so good! The art is nice too and it teaches you about braces

message 22: by Mary ♥ (new)

Gooooood :)
I am happy about all of you guys. I wanna read them all!! :)

message 23: by Elisa (new)

Elisa The-Bookie-Monster (the-bookie-monster) | 135 comments Alesandra I'm so glad you like them!!

message 24: by Elisa (new)

Elisa The-Bookie-Monster (the-bookie-monster) | 135 comments I've just finished Deadly Class Vol 2! It's a great follow up and I'm gonna start volume 3 right after I hit post. 4/5. The art and the story complement each other very well.

message 25: by Mary ♥ (new)

Good :)
I finished Soul Eater Vol 3 :D