What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Romance book where the heroine dresses/pretends to be male

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angella (new)

Angella | 4 comments It's been 10-15 years since I read this book, I cant tell you a whole lot but I can tell you in the book the heroine grew up with brothers and thus dressed and pretended to be a boy/male herself. I want to say her name was Nick/Nicky short for Nicole (but I may be wrong) I think it takes place during wartime or at least some type of battle (it may not be an actual historical one and I don't remember when/where/what) Though I THINK it takes place in the US?

Anyways What I remember the most is she does have some doctoring skills and as they are fighting the enemy she is actually taken by the enemy to help save the hero who is at the time also the enemy and the one she wants dead.

I'm sorry I can be of more help, I've been scouring the internet trying to figure out what this book was called so I could once again read it as I remember it being very good. It was a paperback book when I read it.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Aug 02, 2016 10:23AM) (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Angella, is the heroine on a ship when she's captured - e.g., Sea Change by Darlene Marshall?

Is she trying to rescue/find a family member or does she want to fight in the war?

message 3: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments Ashes in the Wind sounds a little similar. It's been so long since I've read it though to know how closely it might match.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina | 138 comments Shirlee Busbee's Lady Vixen has a main character named Nicole who is disguised as a cabin boy during the War of 1812. Don't ask me how I remember this, since I read this book in the 80s.

message 5: by Angella (new)

Angella | 4 comments No, there was no ship, it was all on land more particularly in a wooded area and if I remember correctly there was mention of a Jacobites group (sp) or maybe I'm crazy and confusing two books together. They were waring and I know he was shot and she was "recruited" by his men to save him.

Sigh, I should never ever sell another book ever again. You never know when you'd want to read it again. I'm pretty sure I read this in my teens, so it was a good 10-15 yrs ago, and it wasn't a new book then. I believe it was given to me by a friend of my mother's who was getting rid of a bunch of her books or her friends books..

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6966 comments Mod
Jacobite would be English history. This is the "Bonny Prince Charles" time frame. Other than that--I don't remember a whole lot about the time period. Could this be the time period you are thinking of--and do you remember which side was which?

message 7: by Angella (new)

Angella | 4 comments Possibly, and unfortunately I don't remember who was on what side.

message 8: by Angella (new)

Angella | 4 comments I'm wondering at this point if my search for this book is a lost cause. Forgo the Jacobite part, because I am unsure if it is truly part of it. I also believe the cover of the book had some type of woods scenery. I do remember it takes place in a forest type setting. Though again I can not remember exactly where it takes place...

I have come across so many heroine in disguise books, but have not actually found the one I'm searching for. It drives me nuts that I can remember parts of it so vividly but it's like it never existed!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Do not lose heart! Some of us have found our book after many months -- even years! You can bump your thread every month or so to keep it at the top of the folder. More people will see it regularly and someone will know your book!

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Angella, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1437 comments Never Tempt A Duke by Virginia Brown? It was first published as Hidden Touch. The h Alyssa disguises herself as her twin brother, Nicholas (Nick).

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizberry) | 63 comments Jacobite - maybe Moonstruck Madness by Laurie McBain?Moonstruck Madness

message 13: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Moore (llamalluv) | 104 comments If it's not Jacobites, maybe you also got the doctoring part mixed up, and if so, could it be The Texan's Touch?

The heroine is a young woman named Nicole (goes by Nick) and was basically raised by her older brother Wolf. They are Shadows in the Civil War (fighting for the South) and Nick is wounded. The men kidnap Wes McClain (the hero) and he patches her up, discovering she's a woman. When she comes to after, she kisses him, and her brother declares he's going to kill the man, but she insists that if anyone is going to shoot McClain, it'll be her. Then she distracts Wolf long enough for McClain to escape. It picks up a year or two later after the war and McClain and his brothers are headed to Texas from Indiana to make their fortune in cattle.