2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Veronica's August 2016 Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (last edited Sep 01, 2016 08:06AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Historical Fiction/Historical Mystery:
The Last Templar - first in series ★★
✔☊What Darkness Brings - group read, 8th in series ★★★★ 1/2
British Bulldog - 4th in series ★★

Crime Fiction/Suspense Thriller:
Forty Words for Sorrow - first in series - DNF/TRY AGAIN LATER
The Second Life of Nick Mason ★★

Science Fiction/Fantasy:
The Clone Republic - first in series ★★
Blood's Pride - first in series ★★
A Monster Calls ★★★★★

Carry Over from Last Month:
Collecting the Dead
The Concrete Blonde

The Mood Hit Me: (TBD)
Fortune's Blight - second in series ★★
Lock In ★★★★
Operation Goodwood - fifth in series ★★
Reaper Man - ★★★★
Blood of the Earth - first in series ★★

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11290 comments Mod
Best to plan for those mood reads:)

message 3: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I have my eye on Collecting the Dead. Its already on my tbr. I need to read that one.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments LOVED Collecting the Dead! Steps - the main character - is quirky like Amos from Memory Man.

Looking forward to your thoughts on The Second Life of Nick Mason...I have been looking at that one.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Stephanie wrote: "love your "Mood Hit Me" category!! :D Have heard such good feedback on A Monster Calls. Hope you enjoy!! Happy reading !! :D"

Have you seen the trailer for the movie, Stephanie? That already had me tearing up. Plus, Liam Neeson's voice. :-)

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Jonetta wrote: "Best to plan for those mood reads:)"

I know! Haha, I'm still trying to decide what I might want to choose from.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Mary wrote: "I have my eye on Collecting the Dead. Its already on my tbr. I need to read that one."

I'm excited about it. It looks pretty good.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "LOVED Collecting the Dead! Steps - the main character - is quirky like Amos from Memory Man.

Looking forward to your thoughts on The Second Life of Nick Mason...I have been looking at that one."

It was your review of Collecting the Dead that put the book on my radar, Kris. :-)

I actually hadn't been planning on reading the Nick Mason book just yet but when I saw it on the New Arrivals shelf at my library, I couldn't help but snatch it up.

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Hmmmm, my list looks a little anemic. I need to grow it.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11290 comments Mod
Your list looks just fine to me!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Veronica wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "LOVED Collecting the Dead! Steps - the main character - is quirky like Amos from Memory Man.

Looking forward to your thoughts on The Second Life of Nick Mason...I..."

Awww :)

I know...at work it is on display and I am trying not to put it on hold but it keeps beckoning me.

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Jonetta wrote: "Your list looks just fine to me!"

LOL, thanks, Jonetta.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "LOVED Collecting the Dead! Steps - the main character - is quirky like Amos from Memory Man.

Looking forward to your thoughts on The Second Life ..."

Well I love to enable so, go for it! ;-)

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Great list Veronica. Blood's Pride looks interesting. I'll keep an eye out for your review.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Veronica wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "LOVED Collecting the Dead! Steps - the main character - is quirky like Amos from Memory Man.

Looking forward to..."

Yep, broke down and requested it!

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Yep, broke down and requested it! "

Now don't you feel better? One less inner conflict resolved. lol

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Lmao, yes I do! Thanks for keeping me sane, Veronica. :)

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Lmao, yes I do! Thanks for keeping me sane, Veronica. :)"

:-)

message 19: by Veronica (last edited Aug 08, 2016 06:35AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments I finished The Last Templar, which was okay for a first book - ★★ (no review).

I also finished the first two books in a fantasy trilogy (both two stars):
Blood's Pride - my review
Fortune's Blight - ★★ (no review)

And I read A Monster Calls, which touched on so many of the emotions I felt when I lost my sister to cancer 13 years ago. I cried through most of it so I had to give it my very rare five stars - my review

message 20: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Veronica that had to be very emotional for you, but it had to be excellent because I know you rarely give a book 5 stars. I have it on my tbr and need to bump it up on my list!

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments It was very personal for me, Mary Beth. Be sure to get the version with the illustrations. I only hope the movie does it justice.

message 22: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I didnt know that there is a movie of it. It would be great if it did. Has the movie come out yet.

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments It sounds like a heart wrenching, but great read Veronica.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Veronica wrote: "I finished The Last Templar, which was okay for a first book - ★★ (no review).

I also finished the first two books in a fantasy trilogy (both two stars):
Blood's Pride..."

Sorry to hear about your loss and your sister's battle with cancer. One of the worst things. I will have to check out this book.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4454 comments Mod
Wonderful list as always, Veronica.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. It is an awful disease.

message 26: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Thanks, ladies. Cancer is a sucky disease.

Mary wrote: "I didnt know that there is a movie of it. It would be great if it did. Has the movie come out yet."

It comes out in October, Mary Beth. The trailer looks promising.

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Finished the audio book of What Darkness Brings - my original review still stands. Too much Kat made it lose half a star, lol.

I also finished Lock In - no review but a solid four stars.

message 28: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Veronica wrote: "Thanks, ladies. Cancer is a sucky disease.

Mary wrote: "I didnt know that there is a movie of it. It would be great if it did. Has the movie come out yet."

It comes out in October, Mary Beth. Th..."

Awesome!

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Thanks, Stephanie. It's been years but I still miss her every day. It's always a treat when she pops up in my dreams. :-)

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Finished British Bulldog, which was just okay (two stars). My (very short) review here.

I also finished Operation Goodwood, which was a two star read as well (no review).

message 31: by Veronica (last edited Aug 17, 2016 09:46AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Finished Reaper Man - my very brief review

message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Finally got through Blood of the Earth and wasn't too impressed overall. I seriously doubt I'll be continuing with this series. My review

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4454 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Finally got through Blood of the Earth and wasn't too impressed overall. I seriously doubt I'll be continuing with this series. My review"

Oy!

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments It was the characters. There wasn't a single one that I connected with.

message 36: by Veronica (new)