Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - August 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 765 comments Mod
August 1 (Monday): What world problem would you like to fix?

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2512 comments Mod
Intolerance - whether racial, religious or other

message 3: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) This election!!

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Wednesday, Aug 3: You are having friends over for dinner - what are you making?

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 3: You are having friends over for dinner - what are you making?"

Probably a pasta dish because I love pasta and you can make large amounts without a problem.

message 6: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 3: You are having friends over for dinner - what are you making?"

Spaghetti or tacos!

message 7: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments Um for the record I would not be having friends over.....

message 8: by Leah (new)

August 4 (Thursday): What bad habit have you picked up that you'd like to stop?

message 9: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "August 4 (Thursday): What bad habit have you picked up that you'd like to stop?"

Eating late at night.

message 10: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 3: You are having friends over for dinner - what are you making?"

Oh so many things: We could have:
lasagne, caesar salad and ciabbata torn up smothered in garlic, oil and butter sauce
or
salmon on the grill with rice and green beans and french bread
or
mixed grill with baked potatoes and corn on the cob and bread
or
lamb stew with corn bread and cabbage salad with apple cider vingegar dressing
or
steaks and potatoes and vegetables and bibb lettuce with bleu cheese dressing and walnuts
or
bring in pizzas and salad

all of these with a few desserts always including something very chocolate

then end with something salty like mixed nuts

Our guests always show up with wine and my husband always has beer in the refrigerator and I just drink water.

message 11: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Leah wrote: "August 4 (Thursday): What bad habit have you picked up that you'd like to stop?"

eating

message 12: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) ilikeboox wrote: "Leah wrote: "August 4 (Thursday): What bad habit have you picked up that you'd like to stop?"

eating"

^ What she said.

message 13: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Great minds think alike, Marti!

message 14: by Leah (new)

August 5 (Friday): If you could change your name, what would you choose?

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

ilikeboox wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, Aug 3: You are having friends over for dinner - what are you making?"

Oh so many things: We could have:
lasagne, caesar salad and ciabbata torn up smothered in g..."

Let me know when you are serving lamb stew ... I have a very nice pinot noir that should go well with that .....

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "August 4 (Thursday): What bad habit have you picked up that you'd like to stop?"

Procrastination ... I'll stop tomorrow....

message 17: by Marti (last edited Aug 05, 2016 04:51PM) (new)

Marti (coloreader) Leah wrote: "August 5 (Friday): If you could change your name, what would you choose?"

ANYTHING but what I have! I'm literally an Aunt Martha! Ugh!! My parents couldn't decide on a name, so they settled on Martha. BTW, apparently they only owned one book. My brother is John and my sister is Mary.

message 18: by ilikeboox (last edited Aug 05, 2016 10:04PM) (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Leah wrote: "August 5 (Friday): If you could change your name, what would you choose?"

Well I sort of did. In my Italian group, I am Elisabetta. And among my French friends I am Gaston (that's right, the male version - it's more dramatic and I like it.) And in Iran I would be Shala.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy I got a laugh that the procrastination response turned up on my feed a day late!

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "August 5 (Friday): If you could change your name, what would you choose?"

Romelia .... I've always loved that name, but already have TWO cousins with the name.

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday August 8th - It's State Fair time! What's your favorite "fair food"?

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday August 8th - It's State Fair time! What's your favorite "fair food"?"

Funnel cake with cherry topping.

message 23: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday August 8th - It's State Fair time! What's your favorite "fair food"?"

Pork Chops on a stick.

message 24: by Leah (new)

August 9 (Tuesday): What's the worst physical pain you've ever been in?

message 25: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "August 9 (Tuesday): What's the worst physical pain you've ever been in?"

I've been lucky. Having babies is about it.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Leah wrote: "August 9 (Tuesday): What's the worst physical pain you've ever been in?"

I have had surgery on both my knees due to irregular bone angles that caused my knee caps to move and my knees to give out. That is the worse pain ever!

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "August 9 (Tuesday): What's the worst physical pain you've ever been in?"

I think the severe sciatica I got diagnosed with this weekend is the worst. Practically paralyzed with pain. Not how I wanted to spend my birthday lol.

message 28: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Leah wrote: "August 1 (Monday): What world problem would you like to fix?"
(I just noticed this question)

Insanity: If we could cure insanity in all its forms and nuances, we would solve all the world's problems - greed, criminal tendencies, delusions of grandeur, insecurity...

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday August 8th - It's State Fair time! What's your favorite "fair food"?"

Wisconsin State Fair's Cream Puffs! They are so light and delicious. (Sadly I haven't made it to the fair in a couple of years, and looks like we won't go this year either!)

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "August 9 (Tuesday): What's the worst physical pain you've ever been in?"

I've been lucky ... not many painful episodes that weren't handled by a couple of Tylenol. Probably when I needed a root canal, but first had to clear the infected abscess. Unfortunately we discovered that I was allergic to codeine ... throwing up everything, even water. So no pain pills and no antibiotics till my stomach settled. That was one excruciating day!

message 31: by Skeetor (new)

Skeetor | 159 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday August 8th - It's State Fair time! What's your favorite "fair food"?"
Fresh, salty, hot curly fries!

message 32: by Skeetor (new)

Skeetor | 159 comments Leah wrote: "August 9 (Tuesday): What's the worst physical pain you've ever been in?"
I've been blessed with a pretty painless life so far....Maybe that sneeze right after my C-section. That was a bit painful.

message 33: by Leah (new)

August 10 (Wednesday): What would you title your autobiography?

message 34: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) My autobiography would be called She Tried

message 35: by Leah (new)

August 11 (Thursday): Who is your favorite teacher? Why?

message 36: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) Who IS my favorite teacher? My older son. Who WAS my favorite teacher? My seventh grade English teacher. She was the first teacher who treated us the students we were, not little kids.

message 37: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments I had a psychology teacher in college who was very funny. Everyone paid very close attention to his lectures because they were listening for his jokes. He gave rather hard tests and even still I did pretty good on them since I was interested in listening to his lectures. Engaging and interesting presentations help a lot in learning.

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "August 11 (Thursday): Who is your favorite teacher? Why?"

Probably my piano teacher, Mrs Lippe. She was tough and demanding, but also very patient and encouraging. While she pushed me to excel, she also gave me confidence that I could meet her expectations.

message 39: by Leah (new)

August 15 (Monday): How do you recharge after a hard or stressful week?

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "August 15 (Monday): How do you recharge after a hard or stressful week?"

Reading (what else?), gardening, cooking, and in general just spending time with my hubby.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Leah wrote: "August 15 (Monday): How do you recharge after a hard or stressful week?"

I read or binge watch on NetFlix. If the family is home we do quiet things together.

message 42: by Leah (new)

August 16 (Tuesday): What language would you like to learn?

message 43: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments I'm learning French and Italian.

message 44: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Leah wrote: "August 16 (Tuesday): What language would you like to learn?"

French

message 45: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) Leah wrote: "August 16 (Tuesday): What language would you like to learn?"

I know a little French and a bit of Yiddish. I'd like to learn Latin just because and I'd like to learn Spanish because my son is a Spanish teacher and I'm embarrassed to ask him about words all the time!

message 46: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Spanish is a simple language and you could pick it up easier than French! Latin is a lot of memorization but the vocabulary is not so hard because we have so many latin roots in our own language. Do you know any Hebrew?

message 47: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "August 16 (Tuesday): What language would you like to learn?"

I learned German but would love to touch up on it since I haven't used it in years. I would like to learn Japanese and Polish.

message 48: by Leah (new)

August 17 (Wednesday): What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done?

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Leah wrote: "August 16 (Tuesday): What language would you like to learn?"

Italian

message 50: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Leah wrote: "August 17 (Wednesday): What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done?"

I went on a rollercoaster by accident.

« previous 1 3