Square In Wonderland Book Club discussion

August 2016 > Let's Talk: Dystopians

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Derbas (In Wonderland) (in_wonderland) | 211 comments Mod
What are your favorite DYSTOPIANS? What dystopian books should we put on our TBR's? What dystopian books do you want to read? What's your favorite thing about dystopian? The list can go on and on, so let's talk about standalones! :)

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana | 240 comments Mod
I love that dystopians play up human flaws. Obviously it is a genre about dysfunctional and tyrannical government but usually it reference something going wrong today and thematically I am interested in that. Inherently it implies a hero will be trying to save the world which is always entertaining.

My first dystopian read: The Giver

I still love The Hunger Games, specifically Catching Fire!

message 3: by Shellee (new)

Shellee | 84 comments Dana did you read the entire The Giver Quartet? I have not heard of this series but it sounds great! As far as the books were published apart it seems to have lost a lot of the audience that read the first book...

I still love The Hunger Games too!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

The first dystopian I ever read was The Giver as well! I haven't read the rest of the quartet, but I want to!

I've never read The Hunger Games. And I don't really know if I ever will... Don't hate me. :)

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana | 240 comments Mod
Shellee wrote: "Dana did you read the entire The Giver Quartet? I have not heard of this series but it sounds great! As far as the books were published apart it seems to have lost a lot of the audience that read t..."

I only read the first one! It is has become a pretty standard novel taught in middle schools, at least where I live! I didn't know there more books until recently.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Dana wrote: "Shellee wrote: "Dana did you read the entire The Giver Quartet? I have not heard of this series but it sounds great! As far as the books were published apart it seems to have lost a lot of the audi..."

Yea, I read The Giver when I was in middle school and it is still one of my favorite books!

message 7: by Shellee (new)

Shellee | 84 comments Dana wrote: "Shellee wrote: "Dana did you read the entire The Giver Quartet? I have not heard of this series but it sounds great! As far as the books were published apart it seems to have lost a lot of the audi..."

Ok thanks! That explains it because it was written well after I was in school. :)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (miss_melissalee) I think everyone is required to read The Giver at school and i was in 4th grade and dont remember it at all. The only dystopian series I completed and enjoyed was The Darkest Minds series. Never finished Divergent or Hunger Games. I feel like I'm super picky with dystopian. I plan on reading 5th Wave soon though.

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana | 240 comments Mod
I definitely had my issues with the way Hunger Games and Divergent ended. I really like how The Darkest Minds ended though. I wouldn't necessarily categorize The 5th Wave as true dystopia, since it is an alien post-apocalyptic story where there truly isn't a government which is what makes dystopia.