Anything Legal, Legal Thrillers, Legal Mysteries and More discussion

2016 Book of the Month > September BOTM

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) taking nominations in advance for September BOTM:

please post your suggested title(s)

if you wish to lead the discussion, please PM Mod Mallory Heart Reviews

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Riegger | 127 comments Mod
I nominate Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwell:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

It's a nonfiction procedural, and is well-written and a fast read. Cornwell delves into all the evidence and puts forth a theory as to Jack the Ripper's identity. If you like ID Discovery shows (like I do), this is a super read.

message 3: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments I ordered Portrait from the library.

Una

message 4: by Portia (new)

Portia Porter One of the reviewers writes:
"This book is not for the faint of heart and I almost threw up a few times while reading it."
Just saying.

message 5: by Maria (new)

Portia, it's a fair point. I read the book and didn't have that reaction at all. Probably not for people who are squeamish at watching ID Discovery shows.

Mallory, you've read the book, right? What do you think?

message 6: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments If it's squeamish, I may pass.

message 7: by SerialReader (new)

SerialReader | 12 comments Mod
I'm curious about Portrait of a killer by Patricia Cornwell :) I am not a huge fun of her but I think I will give this one a try :)
For September BOTM I'd like to nominate The Butterfly Garden, by Dot Hutchison

message 8: by Maria (new)

SerialReader wrote: "I'm curious about Portrait of a killer by Patricia Cornwell :) I am not a huge fun of her but I think I will give this one a try :)
For September BOTM I'd like to nominate [book:The Butterfly Garde..."

I must confess, Portrait is the only thing I've read by Cornwell; I'd like to read more of her books.

message 9: by Portia (new)

Portia Porter ... All books by Portia Porter are set in the South, a fictional State of South Duck. Not exactly Georgia, but might be a selling point for one our MODs.

message 10: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments For September I'm going to nominate Sue Grafton, T is for Trespass.

message 11: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments SerialReader wrote: "I'm curious about Portrait of a killer by Patricia Cornwell :) I am not a huge fun of her but I think I will give this one a try :)
For September BOTM I'd like to nominate [book:The Butterfly Garde..."

This is the September BOTM nomination.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Romero (patriciafairweatherromero) The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison. I'm curious about this one!

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Kernene | 2 comments I vote for The Butterfly Garden. It sounds interesting!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Helton | 2 comments T Is For Trespass is my vote.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda (hotcha1) Maria wrote: "I nominate Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwell:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

It's a nonfiction procedural, and is well-written and a fast read. Cornwell del..."

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda (hotcha1) PROTRIAT OF A KILLER

message 17: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments When will the winner be announced?

Una Tiers

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick Nichols (nicknwrites) | 37 comments I vote for "T is for Trespass."

Thanks!

Nick

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele Whitecotton | 1 comments I already read The Butterfly Garden and it was excellent!! A lot of thriller books are so similar, but this one is truly unique and I couldn't put it down. I'd say it's one of the best books I've read this year because it stays with you.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 1 comments I vote Butterfly Garden.

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Butterfly Garden.

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick Nichols (nicknwrites) | 37 comments "T is for Trespass," although they both sound good.

Thanks,

Nick

message 23: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments T is for trespass, I have enough to scare me.

Una Tiers

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick Nichols (nicknwrites) | 37 comments LOL!

message 25: by Maria (new)

Una wrote: "T is for trespass, I have enough to scare me.

Una Tiers"

I agree there!!

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda (hotcha1) I VOTE FOR T

message 27: by Nola (last edited Aug 30, 2016 06:13AM) (new)

Nola I vote for T is for trespass. Although I haven't read Portrait, I may add it to my reading list and read it. I am not secure reading books that scare my skin off! LOL

message 28: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments The activity on BOTM is AWESOME. I look forward to the results. We'll then post a synopsis and some questions to think about.

Remember, no spoilers.

Best,

Una

message 29: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Kernene | 2 comments My vote is for The Butterfly Garden

message 30: by Maria (new)

I vote T for Trespass! Thanks!

message 31: by SerialReader (new)

My vote goes to The Butterfly Garden

message 32: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments Wow, thank you for the amazing response. We will post the winning book and moderator RIGHT HERE in the next day or two.
Thank you.
Una

message 33: by Una (new)

Una Tiers (unatiers) | 140 comments BUTTERFLY WILL BE THE SEPT BOTM. Synopsis and questions today or tomorrow.
Next month we'll do T.

Best

Una

message 34: by SerialReader (new)

Hello fellow readers! My name is Scila (aka SerialReader) and I am the moderator for the BOTM September!

We are reading The Butterfly Garden, by Dot Hutchison.

Synopsis:
Near an isolated mansion lies a beautiful garden.
In this garden grow luscious flowers, shady trees…and a collection of precious “butterflies”—young women who have been kidnapped and intricately tattooed to resemble their namesakes. Overseeing it all is the Gardener, a brutal, twisted man obsessed with capturing and preserving his lovely specimens.

When the garden is discovered, a survivor is brought in for questioning. FBI agents Victor Hanoverian and Brandon Eddison are tasked with piecing together one of the most stomach-churning cases of their careers. But the girl, known only as Maya, proves to be a puzzle herself.

As her story twists and turns, slowly shedding light on life in the Butterfly Garden, Maya reveals old grudges, new saviors, and horrific tales of a man who’d go to any length to hold beauty captive. But the more she shares, the more the agents have to wonder what she’s still hiding.…

Reading Group Guide
The Butterfly Garden is a very dark, disturbing yet fascinating story and I'd love to discuss it with you guys.

In order to keep it "spoiler free" I decided to post a bunch of questions every week (let's say..on Saturday, till the end of the month).
Let's start!

1. Define The Butterfly Garden in one word.

2. Is anything in this book too graphic/disturbing?

3. Once the Gardener captures his victims, he can unleash his fantasies and he starts "depersonalizing" the girls by giving them a back tattoo and a new name. What do you think that means?

4. Avery -the Gardener's son- has access to the garden and the girls. How is Avery different from his father?

5. Maya's behaviour is not what you would expect from a victim. During the course of her interview with the FBI she seems self-contained and unaffected. How would you explain that?

Feel free to share your thoughts! Happy reading everyone!

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick Nichols (nicknwrites) | 37 comments Hey,

Love the questions.
Just started the book, and I like it already.
Always better when the author begins with something intense already going. Very descriptive, too.

Nick

message 36: by SerialReader (new)

Hello Nick,
thank you! :) more questions coming next Saturday!
Can't wait to hear everybody's thoughts :)

message 37: by Maria (new)

I finished this book in one weekend, had a hard time putting it down. It was disturbing, but there was nothing too graphic for me, (I was expecting it to be worse). I found the scenes described in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo worse than here, so if you could handle Dragon Tattoo, you'll be fine with this book.

Love the procedural scenes, the FBI questioning, etc. Great development; short chapters keep the flow moving along.

In reading it initially, I thought Maya's reaction was her unconscious way of dealing with trauma; everyone deals with it differently, and some people disassociate more than others.

Looking forward to seeing what others think!!

message 38: by SerialReader (new)

Happy Week End readers! So…how’s everyone enjoying The Butterfly Garden?
As today, #1 on Amazon best sellers list (serial killer thrillers) - 22,546 ratings here on Goodreads, and even if it hasn’t made it (yet) into the NYT Best Seller list (which is widely considered “the” list of best selling books in the USA) this book is definitely having big success among the readers community.

This week’s questions are more frivolous :)

1. Movie lovers out there will be thrilled to know that the butterfly garden is going to be a movie!
June 22, Dot Hutchison announced on her blog that The Butterfly Garden book has been optioned for film by Anonymous Content and PalmStar Media!
Do you like book-to-screen adaptations? What's the best movie you've ever watched based on a book?

2. Love sequels? Ms. Hutchison already announced that if not a sequel there will be a companion novel out next year, entitled Roses of May that will be following the Butterflies and FBI team for a time and then shifting to a new case, a new story.
Would you read it?

Share your thoughts! and Happy reading! :)

message 39: by Maria (new)

I may read the companion novel. The Butterfly Garden is well-written and well-paced, although I had some practical/logic issues with it. I would likely read more by the same author.

message 40: by SerialReader (new)

Maria wrote: "I may read the companion novel. The Butterfly Garden is well-written and well-paced, although I had some practical/logic issues with it. I would likely read more by the same author."

I am curious about the "sequel" and I would probably read that. I enjoyed The Butterfly Garden but I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by the end :(

message 41: by Maria (new)

SerialReader wrote: "Maria wrote: "I may read the companion novel. The Butterfly Garden is well-written and well-paced, although I had some practical/logic issues with it. I would likely read more by the same author."
..."

I was also disappointed by the end, a bit too far-fetched and wrapped up too quickly. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

message 42: by Jaideep (new)

Jaideep Khanduja (pebbleinthestillwaters) SerialReader wrote: "Hello fellow readers! My name is Scila (aka SerialReader) and I am the moderator for the BOTM September!

We are reading The Butterfly Garden, by Dot Hutchison.

Synopsis:
Near an ..."

It seems quite interesting.