Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin, #1)
This topic is about The Dragon's Path
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Dragon's Path

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
The Dragon's Path Kicks off September 1st and we have a lot of interest so I'm just getting this ready and reminding everybody in case they need to make a purchase that involves delivery.

Looking forward to a large group.

message 2: by Seán (new) - added it

Seán | 602 comments My main bookstore was selling each book in the series for €4.99 each - I'm hoping to get in soon enough and pick up the whole series!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am in! Just need to get the book and I am ready to start! I am really looking forward to this one (as much as I looked forward to most of the series I started - yes, I should make up my mind before blabbing so much...)

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments Hey, I did want to say that if anyone got the ebook for Leviathan Wakes, check your copy. Mine had a bonus copy of The Dragon's Path included.

message 5: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3586 comments Mod
I'm in for this one as well. Looking forward to it.

message 6: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Good solid series. Hope you guys enjoy your read (I just finished reading it with the FBC Series group)

message 7: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've got my hands on this from the library. Looking forward to starting it soon.

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "I've got my hands on this from the library. Looking forward to starting it soon."

I have my copy as well - only a week left!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am still waiting on my copy to be delivered! I hope this is going to come in on time... Plus I will be traveling for work on Friday so I could have additional time on the train to simply read! Priceless!

Solseit | 1460 comments The book is finally in my hands! I am looking at it and I am really fighting against starting the book earlier!

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma | 12 comments Aristea wrote: "The book is finally in my hands! I am looking at it and I am really fighting against starting the book earlier!"

It would be really terrible to start early..

Solseit | 1460 comments Haha Emma you are totally right! I need to be strong, by hiding the book!

message 13: by Seán (new) - added it

Seán | 602 comments I couldn't get a hold of this for a decent price, so I think I'll sit this one out. I've enough on my plate as well - if I grab it at a later stage I'll catch up.

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just started this book. I'm terrible for starting early, I know. ;)
I didn't want to start a new book two days before this group read.
I read the prologue and it was just alright for me. I'm not usually a huge fan of prologues. They try to be all mysterious and foretelling, but I have no idea what is going on so I generally don't care because I know it won't make sense until after I've read the whole book.

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Which sounds better.......Jenna the Prologue hater? Or Jenna I'm gonna start early mod? :)

I tried to start a short book yesterday so I wouldn't start until tomorrow but unfortunately I DNF's at 45% so I'll also be guilty of starting today and early.

I read the prologue which I thought was good by prologue standards. I do agree it's tough to appreciate them until later but there was a lot of good hints and info.

Also sometimes early in a book I find myself re-reading sentences or even paragraphs until I get used to the writers style and phrasings. That didn't happen here. His prose flowed for me.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1080 comments My library still hasn't text me to inform me the book is here, starting to get impatient :(

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Aug 31, 2016 03:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Do you want me to go down there and motivate them? :)

So this book doesn't have chapter numbers and I'm sure we all have different editions so I'll label spoilers as I'm doing below.

Captain Marcus Wester pages 11-24

(view spoiler)

So I find the races interesting but nearly impossible to keep straight so far. So I found the link below for full descriptions to keep them straight.

http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by...

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sir Geder pages 25-35

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cithrin 36-57. Three chapters and three perspectives and chapter 4 adds another looking ahead. I feel like at the end of chapter three things are finally coming into focus and I'm worried chapter 4 will spin this around again.

(view spoiler)

I tried searching the web for images of the races but a ton of video games images come back and I can't find anything good on Wiki or Abraham's site.

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 31, 2016 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Which sounds better.......Jenna the Prologue hater? Or Jenna I'm gonna start early mod? :)

I tried to start a short book yesterday so I wouldn't start until tomorrow but unfortunately I DNF's at 4..."

Well, you start early too sometimes so I guess I'll be the Prologue Hater. I would agree that Abraham's prose is very easy to follow so that made the prologue bearable.

Thanks for the link of the races. Very fascinating.

So far I'm liking Marcus and Cithrin as characters. The other POVs have interesting stories, but I just don't like the characters as much.

message 21: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma | 12 comments I really enjoyed the prologue. It intrigued me and made me want to continue. I like the fact the action/adventure/quest has got underway pretty quickly. Love all the different races. They'd look great on the big screen!

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma wrote: "I really enjoyed the prologue. It intrigued me and made me want to continue. I like the fact the action/adventure/quest has got underway pretty quickly. Love all the different races. They'd look gr..."

Yes, all the different races would look awesome if it was made into a movie or TV show.

Solseit | 1460 comments So the gates are open, officially? I am going to start then too!

Solseit | 1460 comments So the gates are open, officially? I am going to start then too!

message 25: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aristea wrote: "So the gates are open, officially? I am going to start then too!"

Do it!

message 26: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's September here Aristea!!! Of course you can start. I'm hoping to start tomorrow.

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna wrote: "
Well, you start early too sometimes so I guess I'll be the Prologue Hater.."

Yes we should both try to be better about it......being the mods and all. :)

Through page 70 and Dawson's chapter.

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "
Well, you start early too sometimes so I guess I'll be the Prologue Hater.."

Yes we should both try to be better about it......being the mods and all. :)

Through page 70 and Dawson..."

I rely on you to be the responsible mod since you're the older and the wiser ;)

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna wrote: "I rely on you to be the responsible mod since you're the older and the wiser ;)"

Pulling out the age card aye? Hoser!

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I rely on you to be the responsible mod since you're the older and the wiser ;)"

Pulling out the age card aye? Hoser!"

To be fair, you labeled me a prologue hater. ;)

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

You are! This, MOI and The Thiusand Names as proof!!

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "You are! This, MOI and The Thiusand Names as proof!!"

I didn't hate the MOI prologue....it was just not as good as DHG.

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lil I know. I was just teasing. You did pretty much say you hated prologue a earlier in the thread.

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Lil I know. I was just teasing. You did pretty much say you hated prologue a earlier in the thread."

Well, it's kind of true and Prologue Disliker just doesn't have the same ring as Prologue Hater.

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through page 159 a Geder chapter

(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Page 159? I need to step up my game tonight! I will just grab a quick dinner and then read, read, read.

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through page 211 Dawson's chapter

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Sep 01, 2016 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aristea wrote: "Page 159? I need to step up my game tonight! I will just grab a quick dinner and then read, read, read."

I'm on vacation and have an over-stacked Septembers so don't feel like you have to keep up the pace. I think most people will be slower on this one.

Solseit | 1460 comments The prologue is fairly good though! Mystery mixed with "normal" activities.
(view spoiler)
I am really enjoying it so far!

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through 284 Geder chapter............did not see that coming......

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Sep 01, 2016 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just getting through the introduction of the main characters. I'm liking what I'm reading so far.

message 42: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through 307 Marcus's chapter

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1080 comments I'm jealous of everyone. My book still hasn't arrived. Went to the library today to see if by any chance it was on a shelf. And it wasn't. Only book 4. How helpful.

message 44: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm done. Very good book and I'll definitely be continuing the series.

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm over 50% now and really enjoying the book. I love that there are multiple POV's, but that it's only 4 POV's and not dozens.

Marcus Wester is my favourite character in the books so far.

message 46: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm over half-way done, but I haven't been reading (or been on Goodreads) as I've been visiting family.

Marcus is awesome. I like the story with Cithrin and Marcus the most so far.

message 47: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't realise Daniel Abraham was James S.A. Corey. The Expanse series has been on my TBR for a while.

75% now and yeah still liking Marcus Wester. Cithrin is growing on me. Geder is interesting as well, but I just have this sense that nothing good can come from what he is seeking.

message 48: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma | 12 comments I've never heard of James S A Corey but I am going to look him up now!

message 49: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1080 comments I thought they're 2 people writing the Expanse? So he's not the 2nd person but Corey?

message 50: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Sep 06, 2016 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

You are right they are co authored. Ty Franck is the other author.

« previous 1