Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
This topic is about Cambridge Blue
Book Club Selection > August 2016 Group Read - Cambridge Blue, by Alison Bruce

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 4058 comments Mod
Cambridge Blue, by Alison Bruce

Gary Goodhew is intelligent, intuitive, and the youngest detective at Cambridge’s Parkside Station. When Gary discovers the first body in a series of murders involving an eccentric Cambridge family, he gets his chance to work on a homicide investigation. He must use his own initiative to flush out the killer, even though it means risking his job and discovering the truth about the one person he hopes is innocent.

Discussion Leader - Bill Kupersmith

David Gooch | 4058 comments Mod
Just got my copy arrived today. looking forward to reading this during August.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Started this book last night and like it so far.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 567 comments I read this one a while ago and did really like. I am curious to see what others think of it.

Bill Kupersmith | 582 comments Mod
Quite love the setting.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I'm half way through and it's very good. Love the characters.

Beth Stewart | 598 comments I am 1/3 of the way .... Not really grabbing me but am still reading.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Finished and just received her second book from the library.

I;m back into this one now & expect to finish by the end of the month. Another favourite setting.

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Stewart | 598 comments If goodhew worked for me he wouldn't be employed long. Not a good team player!

message 11: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Stewart | 598 comments I finished the book and it was a good read (except for the typos!) but I still think that the main character is unbelievable. I don't think his cavalier behavior would be tolerated in the team environment that makes up a detective unit.

message 12: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Stewart | 598 comments After I read the book I was looking at some comments on Amazon and noticed s few people complained that there was too much in the way of descriptions of Cambridge and that would bore someone from outside the area. Or did bore the reader.

I began to wonder if we read the same book because I did not find there was superfluous geographical or architectural descriptions! I recall a chapter with scary gargoyles on old buildings at night ... But since I don't have any gargoyles on any buildings where I live, I found that these bits added to the atmosphere of the story.

Interesting how we all have a different take on a book.

Juliann Johnson | 93 comments Almost done with book, but agree with you, Beth. I like the descriptions, especially the city at night and also the horse farm.
This book has held my attention.

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

About 1/3 into my 2nd read & it's starting to work nicely.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments This was a good choice.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 567 comments Beth wrote: "If goodhew worked for me he wouldn't be employed long. Not a good team player!"

i read this book a while ago (before it was book of the month here) and I remember thinking that Police Procedural fans would probably not like him because he is the anti - of police procedural. Not a team player and a bit of a maverick.

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just hit 1/2 way. Like it but for me living in Cambridge & not being a scholar would be like living in Cowes & not sailing.

message 18: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Here's my new review but you'll find my take on the villainy on the spoiler thread. Not sorry I nominated this one - it is well-done but not quite right to my taste. But I can eaily see others might enjoy in this series. Comments welcome.

I read this book again after five years have elapsed & remembering nothing of the original plot or characters with no idea why I’d given it a four-star rating except that I must have liked it. That was enough to make me nominate it as an el cheapo read from the Kindle English Mystery Group.. Whilst I personally found it disappointing, many readers ought to enjoy it. Partly that was the setting. I love Cambridge but not a single don or undergraduate appears as a character & even the colleges are only part of the distant geographic background. For me imagining Oxford or Cambridge without academics would be like Tombstone or Dodge City without gunfights. That’s what they’re there for!

Also, the solution depends a lot on learning details from the backstory that readers are allowed to discover only well into the book, so whilst the dynamics behind the crimes were obvious to an experienced reader of crime fiction, it simply wasn’t possible to form any likely hypotheses till our principal detective Gary Goodhew susses out what is going on for us. Gary reminds me a lot of Sophie Hannah’s Simon Waterhouse, an off-the-charts introvert who does everything his way. There is the usual superior who complains Gary is not a ‘team player’ – as if the team, esp. the sleazy Kincaide, could solve anything. But there is a big supply of interesting characters & it is satisfying finally to discover how Alison Bruce makes everything fit together. So I expect many readers, esp. those not like me so scholastically inclined or as fond of matching wits with an author who is willing to give the reader a fair whack @ a solve, may find this series a lot of fun..