Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > October 2016 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments October 2016 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination.
BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only ONE nomination OR one second per member.

4.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month. Books that have received a nomination and a second will advance to the poll.

message 2: by Bat-Cat (new)

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Sue wrote: "I'd like to nominate Man's Search for Meaning if it's allowed. It's non-fiction memoirs of a holocaust survivor that's supposed to be very uplifting. Not sure if Non-fiction is allowed"

That nomination looks great. Non-Fiction is absolutely allowed, as long as it is Classic! :-)

message 4: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I nominate The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas 528 pages and published in 1942.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments Can I withdraw mine and second Magic Mountain? I really want to read that and would prefer to nominate mine for November maybe.

message 6: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Sue!!! ;-)

message 7: by Sue (last edited Aug 01, 2016 07:08AM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "Thank you Sue!!! ;-)"

I was typing and didn't see yours! Hopefully Christine can delete my post. I can't delete it can I?

Nevermind I see that I can delete!

message 8: by Warner (new)

Warner West | 45 comments I'd like to nominate If on a Winter's Night a Traveler.

message 10: by Brina (new)

Brina Nominating Angela's Ashes.

message 12: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Phil wrote: "Life: A User's Manual"

This has been on my TBR list for a long time.

There are so many great books already nominated this month in every category. It will definitely be a challenge to choose which ones to read. On second thought... that's not so bad of a problem to have. ;-)

message 13: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I nominate Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Life: A User's Manual! I read Species of Spaces and Other Pieces by Georges Perec years ago and thought it was brilliant. I'd love to read his longer work.

message 15: by Brina (new)

Brina Nathan that is an amazing book but I already nominated one.

message 16: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments ...aaand as usual my New and Old School choices last month finished bottom of the Polls (The Magus and Dom Casmurro), but I'm going to keep plugging away :oD

I nominate William Gibson's landmark Sci-Fi Neuromancer
Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1) by William Gibson

message 17: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Nathan wrote: "I nominate Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison."

I'll second this, I've been meaning to read it for far too long.

message 18: by Emerson (last edited Aug 02, 2016 07:12AM) (new)

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Emerson wrote: "I'd like to nominate A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement by Anthony Powell..."

Emerson - If this book does not win please consider joining us in the group https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... for discussion of all twelve books in the series.

message 20: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments ok thanks!

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments I am committed to making American Pastoral happen. That's my nomination.

message 22: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments I am going to give up on A Confederacy of Dunces and do it as a buddy read instead, so I would like to nominate The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Published in 1990, 233 pages.

message 23: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments Pink wrote: "Nathan wrote: "I nominate Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison."

I'll second this, I've been meaning to read it for far too long."

Thanks, Pink!

Paula wrote: "I am going to give up on A Confederacy of Dunces and do it as a buddy read instead, so I would like to nominate The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Published in 1990..."

I read The Things They Carried in college. It is one of the best books I've ever read, both as a chronicle of the Vietnam War and as an exploration of the power of storytelling and the truth that can be found in fiction. I would be very excited to reread it. I'd second it, but I've already made a nomination.

message 24: by Brina (new)

Brina Seeing that so far no one is interested in Angela's Ashes, I will join the Invisible Man contingency :) Read in college it's time for a reread.
Paula- Confederacy of Dunces I'd love to read but at this point I have a busy schedule. Maybe late November after I finish Doctor Zhivago???

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'll second The Things They Carried.

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Wallace | 2 comments I'll second If on a winter's night a traveler

message 27: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Wallace | 2 comments I'll second If on a Winter's Night a Traveler.

message 28: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I nominate The Minority Report.

message 29: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5009 comments Mod
I've tried a few times in the past to get a book authored by Nevil Shute on our bookshelf. Of all the books of his I've read I think this will be the most appealing to the group, so I'll nominate A Town Like Alice

message 30: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) | 0 comments Nathan wrote: "I nominate Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison."

I second Invisible Man

message 31: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4087 comments Since The God of Small Things isn't getting any interest, I'll take back that nomination.

We don't have any women writers yet though, so I'd like to throw out this possibility: The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. Not very long, a little controversial, and I've really been wanting to read it since skimming it in college!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Phil wrote: "I nominate The Minority Report."

I second The Minority Report

message 33: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 329 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "Phil wrote: "Life: A User's Manual"
This has been on my TBR list for a long time.
There are so many great books already nominated this month in every category. It will definitely be ..."

I second this too, as Perec has been sitting on my dusty shelf for far too long. (Also I nominated Mann's Magic Mountain for the 4Q Long Read, so there's a chance of reading both, if anyone seconds?) Also I have to say Calvino's If on a Winter's Night is one of my all-time favorites, so great choices people!

message 34: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments I second A Town Like Alice. This 5 star book is on my favorites bookshelf.

message 35: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5009 comments Mod
Duane wrote: "I second A Town Like Alice. This 5 star book is on my favorites bookshelf."

Thanks Duane, 5 Stars for me also and a favorite author.

message 36: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Thank you, Sarah!

message 37: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Thanks, Nathan. Nobody has seconded it yet, so I don't have high hopes. I still plan to read it before the year is up, though.

message 38: by Phyllis (last edited Aug 06, 2016 10:01AM) (new)

Phyllis Darren wrote: "...aaand as usual my New and Old School choices last month finished bottom of the Polls (The Magus and Dom Casmurro), but I'm going to keep plugging away :oD

I nominate [author:William Gibson|9226..."

I second The Neuromancer. This has been on my TBR forever, and every Sci-Fi fan I know tells me I how great it is!

message 39: by James (new)

James (pepecamello) | 41 comments Since it's for October and Halloween and all that, I'll nominate The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty.
385 pages from 1971.
Let me know if it doesn't meet the classics definition and I'll withdraw.

message 40: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments Phyllis wrote: "I second Neuromancer. This has been on my TBR forever, and every Sci-Fi fan I know tells me I how great it is! "

Thanks Phyllis! :o)

it's nearing the top of my re-read pile, and I am especially keen having just finished Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, which Gibson quotes as being his fave sci-fi novel and helped inspire hime to write Neuromancer

message 41: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments Oh I'm so ignorant of sci-fi! I'm a baby waddling, I don't know where to start! Well that's two books on my list then!

message 42: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I'd like to nominate The Big Sleep.

message 43: by Susie (new)

Susie | 755 comments Jon wrote: "I am committed to making American Pastoral happen. That's my nomination."

This is on my Bingo list so I am happy to second American Pastoral

message 44: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments Emerson wrote: "I'd like to nominate A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement by Anthony Powell..."

I'd like to change my nomination for Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry if possible!

message 45: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Would anybody be interested in "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys? The book got mentioned several times during the "Jane Eyre" discussion.
Though, as it is just a reread for me and you already got a lot of nominations, I could just as well nominate it some other month ...

message 46: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9693 comments Mod
Lilly wrote: "Would anybody be interested in "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys? The book got mentioned several times during the "Jane Eyre" discussion.
Though, as it is just a reread for me and you already got a..."

It is on on of my challenges this year, so I do plan to read it.

message 47: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Brina wrote: "Seeing that so far no one is interested in Angela's Ashes, I will join the Invisible Man contingency :) Read in college it's time for a reread.
Paula- Confederacy of Dunces I'd love to read but at..."

Brina, just to clarify, does this mean you are withdrawing your nomination for Angela's Ashes?

message 48: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Lilly wrote: "Would anybody be interested in "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys? The book got mentioned several times during the "Jane Eyre" discussion.
Though, as it is just a reread for me and you already got a..."

It is on my TBR for this year. I was actually hoping to read it last month, but I ran out of time. :-(

Lilly, to clarify, are you nominating Wide Sargasso Sea for this poll?

message 49: by Christine (last edited Aug 10, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Five more days before nominations close for this month! We have lots of great books up for consideration this month. Here is our list of nominations so far. Let me know if I've made any errors or missed anyone's posts.

Nominated and Seconded:
The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Neuromancer by William Gibson
American Pastoral by Philip Roth
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Nominated:
The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

message 50: by Brina (new)

Brina Christine- I'd love to keep my nomination but so far no one has seconded it. If there's no interest in reading Angela's Ashes I will withdraw.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.