Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > What shall we read for SEPTEMBER?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Aug 01, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1458 comments Mod
Wow - oh no- it's not September already is it?

No it's August, but we spend half this month nominating books for September BOTM, then vote on them in a one or two stage process depending on how many nominations there are.

So here go.

Please nominate

- ONE book title
- in the theme HOLIDAYS/VACATIONS,
- suitable for MG readers (i.e. listed as MG on Goodreads' readers shelves)

If you can link your nomination to the Goodreads page using the 'add book/author' tool just above the comments writing box, so much the better. Then people can easily check the blurb etc for themselves.

Please try not to nominate anything we've read in the last two years. You can check our BOTM all-time list in this BOTM Discussion thread (or click here.)

I'll set up the poll around 18th or 20th August, depending on how many nominations there are.

Hope your vacation inspired you!

message 2: by Jemima (last edited Aug 01, 2016 06:27AM) (new)

I noticed that Goodreads say you can also add links to books by putting square brackets [ ] around
book:the book title

You do have to get the title exactly right, though. This may help if you're using the mobile app.

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 316 comments Ok, I'm experimenting with this new linking method on my app. I nominate [Dumpling Days] by Grace Lin.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) Justine wrote: "Ok, I'm experimenting with this new linking method on my app. I nominate [Dumpling Days] by Grace Lin."
You have to include the word book and the colon within the brackets, like this: [ book:Dumpling Days ] (with spaces removed)
Dumpling Days

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) I nominate Five on a treasure island. I read it as a child and again as an adult a few years ago and I think it could lead to interesting discussions. It is the first book in the series and takes place during the summer vacations.

message 6: by Jemima (new)

Thanks Paula - for the help and for the book. I would be interested to read the Five books again :)

I'm nominating Zoe & Zak and the Ghost Leopard since it fits the theme and is on my TBR list. And it could be useful for anyone doing the GMGR A-Z reading challenge!

El • Your Average Bibliovert I didn't know any but my mom suggests Meet the Austins. This book is also by Madeline L'Engle (wrote A Wrinkle in Time)

message 8: by Manybooks (last edited Aug 07, 2016 04:35PM) (new)

Manybooks | 349 comments Ellie wrote: "I didn't know any but my mom suggests Meet the Austins. This book is also by Madeline L'Engle (wrote A Wrinkle in Time)"

I would second that nomination, although the second book in the series might fit better with the vacation themes, The Moon by Night.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
Manybooks wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I didn't know any but my mom suggests Meet the Austins. This book is also by Madeline L'Engle (wrote A Wrinkle in Time)"

I would second that nomination, although the sec..."

I think the second book is more obviously dated than most of L'Engle's books. Maybe it's just because of the whole camping theme and some really obvious changes in the world.

I haven't read the Famous Five for ages! But I wonder about availability. (Wanders off to check the library). Oh! look, they're being reissued (or at least that one has been). Maybe not so hard to get hold of after all, then.

message 10: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 349 comments Rebecca wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I didn't know any but my mom suggests Meet the Austins. This book is also by Madeline L'Engle (wrote A Wrinkle in Time)"

I would second that nomination..."

I actually like the datedness as it reminds me of my own childhood.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 11 comments A great vacation book, though it's old, is "Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great" by Judy Blume.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 349 comments Sarah wrote: "A great vacation book, though it's old, is "Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great" by Judy Blume."

It might be old, but the datedness leads to great discussions. Why for instance, does the dog have to be outside?

message 13: by Jemima (new)

Well, it's 18th August and we have the following nominations:
Dumpling Days
Five on a Treasure Island
Zoe & Zak and the Ghost Leopard although I'm checking with the author whether he thinks it may be in libraries, since it isn't in mine.
The Moon by Night
Meet the Austins
Otherwise known as Sheila the Great

I'll put the poll up on Saturday together with any other nominations, and maybe not with Zoe & Zak :(

message 14: by Jemima (new)

The poll is now up at
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

It closes at midnight Pacific Time on 31 August.

I may not be able to post the result on Sept 1st, so check the poll again for the result if you need to get started on it early!

message 15: by Jemima (new)

Sigh - even with only a few contestants, we got a tie again! I'll put both up as options for this month!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.