21st Century Literature discussion

Stonemouth
This topic is about Stonemouth
2016 Book Discussions > Stonemouth - Friday Evening, Chapters 1-4, Spoilers Allowed (August 2016)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dianne | 224 comments I am dividing the threads based on the natural subsections of the book (Friday Evening, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday Morning. Post any thoughts on the Friday Evening section, the first four chapters, here.

Dianne | 224 comments I'm not much of a thriller mystery reader, so I don't know if this is typical, but the creepy, ominous setting of the introduction to this book seemed fitting. It's dark, it's in the middle of a suspension bridge (on foot, not in a car, mind you), and there is a "cold, clinging mist." We learn that Callum Murston died from an apparent suicide from jumping from this bridge, but have no indication of the circumstances as yet. We learn that our narrator Stuart has some serious obession with a girl named Ellie, but we have no idea who she is. And we learn about the mysterious Murston family, though not too much... yet.

What are your thoughts on the introduction to the book, do you have a sense of where the novel is going at this point?
What are your thoughts on the characters so far?
What are your thoughts on Stuart's homecoming, has much changed since he left Stonemouth?
If you had to predict based on Stuart' musings about Ellie in this early part of the book, what do you think will happen between the two of them?

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan Notzon | 102 comments I agree, Dianne: the beginning is very atmospheric and definitely hooked me. I also enjoy the author's sense of humor. My initial suspicion was, since the brother committed suicide and Stewart is persona non grata for the Murstons, fraternal incest that Stewart brought to light. But as I continue reading, it doesn't seem to be heading in that direction. It's good to be surprised.
I find the characters very interesting. Ferg is a hoot and exchanges between him and Stewart are very entertaining.
I have the feeling that things will not work out well for Stewart and Ellie (this is a "modern" novel after all--I think happy endings are verboten nowadays).

Peter Aronson (peteraronson) | 516 comments One thing I had figured by this point in the book was that the author was in no particular hurry to reveal exactly why Stewart had to leave Stonemouth, or we'd have known already by the end of this section.

This implies that this will be a book that rereads differently than it reads the first time.

Dianne | 224 comments Jan wrote: "I agree, Dianne: the beginning is very atmospheric and definitely hooked me. I also enjoy the author's sense of humor. My initial suspicion was, since the brother committed suicide and Stewart is p..."

It's interesting how the author shares bits and pieces of the past, and it takes quite a while to put it all together in the book. Ellie, for example. He clearly thinks that he has no reason to think she would get back together with him, but wants her to? At this point in the novel it seems he must have done something to her to make her not want to do so.

Dianne | 224 comments Peter wrote: "One thing I had figured by this point in the book was that the author was in no particular hurry to reveal exactly why Stewart had to leave Stonemouth, or we'd have known already by the end of this..."

I totally agree! The author is very strategic in dropping hints without revealing the whole story. It actually takes awhile before you learn why he was run out of town! But after finishing the novel, I wonder did he *really* have to leave town??? Or just think that he did. But maybe that's for the whole book thread. But in this section, was he happy to return home? Or did it just bring back the trauma of his past?

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
Was Stewart happy to return home? I would say his feelings were very mixed. He has both good and bad memories of his youth. In this section, he seems very ambivalent.