Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > October 2016 Short Story Nominations

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5129 comments Mod
October 2016 Short Story group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. Only books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

4. Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

5. Nominator is responsible to insure that the edition nominated fits the above requirements.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina I'd like to nominate Breakfast at Tiffany's

message 3: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I nominate Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

message 5: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I nominate The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran 127 pages and published in 1923.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran 127 pages and published in 1923."

I will second The Prophet.

message 7: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Christine wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran 127 pages and published in 1923."

I will second The Prophet."

Thank you Christine! :)

message 8: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 907 comments I nominate the Child of the High Seas by Jules Supervielle, finally someone put up an english version online
http://www.ndbooks.com/article/from-t...

Its a beautiful and haunting piece of weird fiction. There's also a couple of animated adaptations on youtube but they can't quite capture the beauty of the original text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H912T...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2PwR...

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I nominate Meditations by Marcus Aurelius."

I second Meditations.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Nathalie wrote: "I would like to nominate The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald."

I was actually going to nominate this one, so I second your nomination.

message 11: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Sarah!!! ;-)

message 12: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments I second Breakfast at Tiffany's

message 13: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you Duane :)

message 14: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments Renee wrote: "Nathalie wrote: "I would like to nominate The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald."

I was actually going to nominate this one, so I second your nomin..."

Thank you Renee! I'm glad there is some interest.

Michaela (Journey into Books) I second Breakfast at Tiffany's.

message 16: by Simone (new)

message 17: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you Michaela.

message 18: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I nominate a volume of poetry, Morning in the Burned House by Margaret Atwood. I don't know if it will win or not, but I'm hoping it will spawn a buddy read if it doesn't.

message 19: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments I second Wreade1872's nomination of The Child of the High Seas.

message 20: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 586 comments I just finished my second Steinbeck book and am ready for a third, so I would like to nominate The Pearl, 96 pages.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'll second The Pearl. I love that story.

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina | 117 comments I second Lady Susan.

message 23: by Darren (last edited Aug 04, 2016 05:41AM) (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2018 comments I nominate The Door in the Wall by H.G. Wells
The Door in the Wall by H.G. Wells
(it's about 30 pages and is freely available on gutenberg.org)

message 24: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Since I'll be back in October and since it'll be the Halloween period I nominate Carmilla.

message 25: by Simone (new)

Simone Martel | 45 comments Tina wrote: "I second Lady Susan."

Thanks, Tina!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

message 27: by Brina (new)

Brina Because I read the book I nominated and see that 2 people seconded it, I'm changing my vote to The Pearl.

message 28: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5129 comments Mod
Saturday the 6th I will but together a summary and see where we stand.

message 29: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 586 comments Thanks, Sarah Anne and Brina!

message 30: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5129 comments Mod
With just over a week to go here is where we stand.

*indicated books receiving a second

*Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, 127 pages, 1958
*Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, 304 pages**, 180
*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald, 64 pages, 1922
*The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, 127 pages, 1923
*Child of the High Seas L'Enfant de la haute mer by Jules Supervielle, 160 pages, 1930
*Lady Susan byJane Austen, 80 pages, 1871
Morning in the Burned House by Margaret Atwood, 127 pages, 1995
*The Pearl by John Steinbeck, 96 pages, 1947
*The Door in the Wall by H.G. Wells, 66 pages, 1906
Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, 108 pages, 1872

Before two of these nominations go forward to the poll the nominators will have to do some clarification.

1. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius nominated by Bat-Cat. I know that this went to the poll in the past and I should have asked for clarification earlier. The edition selected is 304 pages and on checking other editions the majority exceed our maximum of 130. A little Google checking and I tend to agree a true and correct copy of the book should requires more than 130 pages. If you can make a case for this book to be readily available to the group in an edition under 130 pages please let me know.

2. Child of the High Seas L'Enfant de la haute mer by Jules Supervielle nominated by Wreade1872. This book doesn't seem like it fits the groups requirement of easy accessibility. There are 6 editions listed on goodreads, three fit the page requirement. However these editions are only in French, Russian, and Spanish. You provided an English version with the web link you provided with your nomination post. Can you provide me some assurance that if this nomination goes to the poll and wins the our members will have easy access to a copy?

message 31: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 907 comments I can only assure that its free to read online in english http://www.ndbooks.com/article/from-t... but if people need a hardcopy... i can only suggest printing it i'm afraid.

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3423 comments Wreade1872 wrote: "I can only assure that its free to read online in english http://www.ndbooks.com/article/from-t... but if people need a hardcopy... i can only su..."

I clicked on your link and couldn't help but read it Wreade. What a achingly beautiful story. Thank your for the link.

message 33: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I second Carmilla.

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Aug 15, 2016 06:21AM) (new)

Bob | 5129 comments Mod
Corrected list on nominations, *indicated books receiving a second

*Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, 108 pages, 1872
Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen, 112 pages, 1890
*Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett, 109 pages, 1952
Second Chance by Syd Banks, 100 pages, 1989

Bat-Cat and Wreade1872 please feel free to make another nomination or second another nomination.

Sarah and Emmerson please feel free to make another second or a nomination if you preferSyd Banks, 100 pages, 1989

message 35: by Emerson (last edited Aug 08, 2016 06:13AM) (new)

Emerson | 348 comments In the case I cannot second Wreade1872, I'll nominate Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen. But if I can keep my second then I'll keep it.

Wreade1872 I'm eager to read your text even if it doesn't go to the polls.

message 36: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments Wreade1872 wrote: "I can only assure that its free to read online in english http://www.ndbooks.com/article/from-t... but if people need a hardcopy... i can only su..."

I read it, it's a beautiful story, thank you for the link!

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments I do think that the month of Halloween would be a lovely time to reread The Shining, I'd like to nominate that.

message 38: by Brina (new)

Brina Ugh if I didn't second a book already I would second that. The Shining looks like fun. Bob if someone already seconded The Pearl does this count?

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The Shining is a full length novel rather than a short story. Maybe it would work better in New School? I don't think it's on the shelf and it was published around 1977.

message 40: by maja (new)

maja | 41 comments My nomination: Waiting for Godot

message 41: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5129 comments Mod
Emily, Sarah Anne is correct, as perfect as The Shining would be for October it has to many pages for the short story category. It is perfect for New School if you have not already nominated or seconded in that category.

The above nomination has been updated.

message 42: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments Ina wrote: "My nomination: Waiting for Godot"

Ina, perfect! I thought just yesterday that I´ll have to nominate that for November.

So I´ll second it now. ;)

message 43: by siriusedward (last edited Aug 13, 2016 08:45AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Wreade1872 wrote: "I can only assure that its free to read online in english http://www.ndbooks.com/article/from-t... but if people need a hardcopy... i can only su..."

Thanks for this wreade. a hauntingly beautiful story as Sue said...

message 44: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Wreade1872 wrote: "I can only assure that its free to read online in english http://www.ndbooks.com/article/from-t... but if people need a hardcopy... i can only su..."

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us Wreade!

message 45: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 518 comments It´s really beautiful!
Though most sad ...

message 46: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I nominate Second Chance by Syd Banks.

message 47: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Sep 01, 2016 05:06AM) (new)

Bob | 5129 comments Mod
Nominations are now Closed, Poll opens on the 16th

*Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, 108 pages, 1872
*Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett, 109 pages, 1952

Nominations not moving forward to Poll
Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen, 112 pages, 1890
Second Chance by Syd Banks, 100 pages, 1989

Link to Poll: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This Months Winner: Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, 127 pages, 1958

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.