Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 9. Overall:

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
17. Are there any books that you would compare this one to? How does this book hold up to them?

18. Have you read any other books by this author? Were they comparable to your level of enjoyment to this one?

19. What did you learn from, take away from, or get out of this book?

20. Did your opinion of the book change as you read it? How?

21. does it deserve to be on the list? Did you feel this was a book you should read before your die?

message 2: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1448 comments I do feel it was a book that I should read before I die. It skewers modern preoccupations: the internet (or 'the intimate' as May Young called it) and the 15 minutes of fame and celebrity culture. The use of word play created a most enjoyable read. It was a book that I loved, although apart from the delight in language I have difficulty in articulating why.

message 3: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 38 comments Unlike Pip I did not love this book. I believe that I only gave it 2 stars. I did not particularly like the characters or care what happenedd to them. I found it to be tedious. I loved her other book, The Accidental and thought I would love this one.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments I liked this very much. It touches on current culture, yet has timeless themes as well. The characters were interesting, with many layers. Curiously, it seemed to me that Miles, while an enigma, had the least depth. And I loved Brooke. The word play reminded me a bit of Larva by Rios, but without the double entendre. Ali Smith has a quirky, yet engaging style, and I look forward to more from her. 4 stars from me.

message 5: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
This was a 4 star read for me I really enjoyed all of it especially the play on words and the pop culture references. I would describe it as delightful.

message 6: by Diane (last edited Aug 13, 2016 02:29PM) (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 2.5 Stars
Read: August 2016

I did not like this as much as most of you. Although the book was not unpleasant overall, it was still frustrating to me. I spent the book really wanting to learn more about Miles and why he locked himself in the room, and felt cheated when the book ended and I still knew very little about him or his motives. I thought there was way too much dialogue and in the case of "The", too much stream of consciousness. I did enjoy the wordplay, however, although some of it was a bit cliched. Overall, I think I totally missed the point of this book somewhere along the line.

I do not feel this book should be on the list.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
I agree with Sally and Diane on this book. It was very tedious for me to read and I spent nearly 2 weeks getting it finished. I don't know if I missed the point of the book or I was just a distracted reader due to family celebrations. I am looking forward to starting a new book and putting this one behind me.

2 stars

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments There but for the (Ali Smith) ***

This started as a potential story about a dinner guest (Miles Garth) who all of a sudden decided to seek refuge in a guest bedroom and then refused to come out for a long period of time. Instead, we were offered external views of this story from characters very loosely related to Miles. Even though this was a bit original and the fact that I enjoyed the numerous puns and play on words, I didn't really enjoy this novel and failed to appreciate many of its possible messages/meanings. I struggled many times with sleep-inducing passages from the third part ('for'). I was expecting more.