Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 6. Characters

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4208 comments Mod
Here are some further questions to help with your thoughts about the characters.

-- Did any of the characters remind you of yourself or someone you know? How?

--What is motivating the actions of the characters in the story? What do the sub-characters want from the main character and what does the main character want with them?

--What were the dynamics of "power" between the characters? How did that play a factor in their interactions?

--How does the way the characters see themselves, differ from how others see them? How do you see the various characters?

--How did the "roles" of the various characters influence their interactions? Ie. For a woman: Mother, daughter, sister, wife, lover, professional, etc.

--What past influences are shaping the actions of the characters in the story?

message 2: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1446 comments I particularly like the characters at the dinner party. They all displayed less than stellar parts of themselves, from the closet gay disparaging homosexuals to the hostess who is less than pleased that Brooke is there at all and that Miles turns out to be vegetarian.

message 3: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2061 comments Mod
I loved Brooke and her inner thoughts and play with words.

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4208 comments Mod
I loved Brooke, I liked hearing her thoughts, I appreciated her isolation because of her cleverness and possible (color). I liked Brooke's parents, they seemed like really great parents.

Wow, I wrote this question. How awful...too much.

I did not like the Lee's and a lot of the people who attended the dinner party. I did like Miles but I decided the story really wasn't about Miles but about the people who he had touched in some way during his life. He seemed so together, yet he locks himself in the bedroom.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1285 comments Mod
Kristel, I agree with you. I disliked the Lee's and most people that attended the dinner party. And I also realized that the book was not about Miles.