2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > July 2016 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 08, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11267 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Tracey
Lieke
Veronica
Mary Beth
Robin
Viki
Melissa
Angela
Laura
Jonetta
Quynh
Stephanie

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Aug 01, 2016 05:34AM) (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No

4 series:
1. The Naughtiest Girl by Enid Blyton
2. Frieda Klein by Nicci French
3. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews
4. Sebastian St. Cyr by C S Harris

No 5 star books this month but I continue to love the Frieda Klein series by Nicci French.

A quiet month for me but I think I am just having a reading slump which I know will pass. Just going to go with it and read what I feel like!

message 3: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1177 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I almost said no but I read Allegiant in the beginning of the month, so I finished my first series of the year.

I started 1 series: The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb and I will definitely continue the series. I have planned to read the whole series this year.

I moved forward in one series I read Slaves of Socorro by John Flanagan, a fun children's book full of adventures

I loved Het magische schip (Ship of magic) by Robin Hobb :)

It was a good month I read 7 books in total

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I got caught up with one series, The Greatcoats series by Sebastien deCastell.

Let's see, I started a few new series, the Casey Duncan series by Kelley Armstrong, the Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn, the Diane Fallon series by Beverly Connor, the Rachel Knight series by Marcia Clark, the Ian Rutledge series by Charles Todd, the Kate Buckholder series by Linda Castillo, and the Lady Trent series by Marie Brennan.

I will be continuing with the Casey Duncan series for sure. Diane Fallon, Kate Buckholder, and Ian Rutledge are strong possibilities.

I moved forward in two series: Will Robie and the Greatcoats.

The only five star book this month was my reread of When Maidens Mourn, which kept its original five star rating from me.

I did read three books that I rated at 4 stars: City of the Lost, The Hit, and Fantastic Voyage.

I had a much better reading month, in terms of productivity, than I was expecting considering I was out camping for a week and a half. I ended up reading 15 books in total and I liked or loved (to varying degrees) all but one of them.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? No 3. Did you move forward in any series? How man..."

Moving forward in four series in the middle of a reading slump ain't bad, Tracey! Can't wait to get back to the Frieda Klein series now that you're enjoying it so much.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I almost said no but I read Allegiant in the beginning of the month, so I finished my first series of the year...."

Congrats, Lieke in finishing your first series!!! Glad it was a good reading month, too.

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I got caught up with one series, The Greatcoats series by Sebastien deCastell. 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what wer..."

Two series named Sebastian? Really?:)

You really did have a productive month despite the camping trip. I love the diversity of your reading choices, too. Kudos for making a dent in your series list.

message 8: by Mary Beth (last edited Aug 01, 2016 06:20PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

1. I completed/got up to date in 5 series.
2. I started 3 series, DCI Erica Foster The Girl In The Ice and Creep Series and Ruth Galloway Series.
3. I moved forward in 7 series.
4. I had 5, 5 star books. You know that tingling excited feeling you get when the book just Wows you and has that Wow factor, well these 5 books just Wowed me. Just loved them! Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton, All Fall Down
The Last Mile, Redemption
Road
The Laughterhouse
5. My reading month was fantastic. I dont think Ive had 5, 5 star books in a month before and was proud that I completed/ or came up to date in 5 series, which I was focusing on this month.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Wow, Mary Beth! You're not kidding about a fantastic month, looking at your numbers. But even more importantly, your enthusiasm about your 5-star reads has me wanting to run out and read all of them:)

Thanks for the shot in the arm!

message 10: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Lol! I think I have become a magnet lately for gritty suspense books. I cant recommend them to everyone due to the grittiness, but I know you love Karin Slaughter and Cody Mcfadyen (Shadow Man)
So I know you will probably love these, and you are welcome for the shot in the arm. Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton was my favorite for 2016 so far, that one I can recommend mostly to anyone.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

I started her Lacey Flint series and really enjoyed it. I've definitely got to get back to it.

message 12: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments I loved the Lacey Flint series! I want to read all of her books. She has a new one that is suppose to come out soon, called Daisy in Chains that I am really looking forward to.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

I'm just getting further behind!

message 14: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Daisy in chains is a stand alone but several of my GR friends have reviewed it and loved it, I think they might of gotten the arc on netgalley, if I am correct.

message 15: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Actually the book is already out. I just checked. I am going to have to get that book at the library.

message 16: by Robin (last edited Aug 02, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2521 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I completed or got up-to-date on four series this month. (Woohoo!)
Black Dagger Legacy by J.R. Ward
Lucy Kendall by Stacy Green
Daughters of Fortune by Lorraine Heath
Sinclair Brothers by Janet Chapman

I started Kristen Ashley's Dream Man series. The first book kind of left me scratching my head. I wasn't even sure if I liked the characters, but it was interesting enough to keep me reading more.

Along with the four series I completed, I moved forward on four more:
Troubleshooters by Suzanne Brockmann
Maggie O'Dell by Alex Kava
The Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason
Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly

My 5-Star books for July were:
Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7) by Suzanne Brockmann Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy, #1) by J.R. Ward All Fall Down (Lucy Kendall, #4) by Stacy Green Hidden (Otherworld Stories, #10.7) by Kelley Armstrong

This was my best reading month of this year. I finished 10 books. I moved forward in eight series while finishing four of them. And, four of the books were 5-Star reads. Can't beat that!

message 17: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 665 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No
No
None
The Martian. I loved this book. Even though it was different than what I normally read. I can't wait to watch the movie. I gave the book 4/5 The Martian by Andy Weir

I did pretty bad this month for reading. I read one book and it wasn't even part of a series, but that is ok as you are going to have some months where you don't read a lot ( especially with young kids)

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I completed or got up-to-date on four series this month. (Woohoo!) Black Dagger Legacy by J.R. Ward
Lucy Kendall by Stacy Gree..."

Wow, Robin! You rocked this month!!!!

I'm so happy you enjoyed Lucy Kendall. It's so different that it could easily have gone the other way.

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? No 3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?..."

Viki, I celebrate every month you get to finish a book! I loved The Martian and enjoyed the movie, too. Hope you get to see it soon.

How's your baby? Is she about 8-months old now? Fun time in her growth but much, much more active. She's crawling, right?

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1399 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No new series this month. I'm trying to stay away from new ones.

I moved forward in 3 - The Unwanteds series by Lisa McMann (1 to go), The Blackdagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward (on #7), Maggie O'Dell series by Alex Kava (on #5).

I enjoyed all the books I read this month.

I glad I moved forward in a few series, but I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to get more read. School started Monday, so I'll have more "me" time. Maybe August will be better.

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Up to date on Greatcoats series by Sebastien de Castell. Saint's Blood was a bit of a let down but I'm still keen to keep reading the series. The Girl in the Spider's Web Millennium 4. I don't think I'll carry on as it didn't' feel like the book had the same tension as Larsson's books.
No
Yes. Just one. Read Book 2 of Bloodsounder's Arc. Veil of the Deserters
Veil of the Deserters I'm enjoying reading some grimdark fantasy again. It was my standout, but no five star reads for the month.
Happy with my reading for the month. 5 books and I actually managed to read a couple of BotM for a change in one of my groups.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments I caught up in 4 series with these books
Torn (LOST, #4) by Cynthia Eden Nobody But You (Cedar Ridge, #3) by Jill Shalvis Hawke (Cold Fury Hockey, #5) by Sawyer Bennett Stuck-Up Suit by Vi Keeland

I finished The Stage Dive series with a binge read of the whole series 4 books Stage Dive Series (Stage Dive, #1-4) by Kylie Scott

I started 3 series and will continue all
Everywhere and Every Way (Billionaire Builders, #1) by Jennifer Probst
Dirty (Dive Bar, #1) by Kylie Scott A Cold Dark Place (Cold Justice, #1) by Toni Anderson

I moved forward in Karen Rose Romantic Suspense series Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5) by Karen Rose . This is the only group read I'm keeping up with.

I loved every book and 7 out of 13 were 5 stars. I'm easy to please.
Stuck-Up Suit by Vi Keeland Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5) by Karen Rose Lick (Stage Dive, #1) by Kylie Scott Lead (Stage Dive, #3) by Kylie Scott Deep (Stage Dive, #4) by Kylie Scott Nobody But You (Cedar Ridge, #3) by Jill Shalvis Torn (LOST, #4) by Cynthia Eden

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
No new series this month. I'm trying to stay away ..."

Hey, take those three series where you made progress and run! Great, also, that you enjoyed everything you read. That's more important.

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Angela wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Up to date on Greatcoats series by Sebastien de Castell. Saint's Blood was a bit of a let down but I'm still keen..."

I think you had a good month, too, Angela!

I wondered whether The Girl in the Spider's Web would "feel" like the other Larsson books. Sorry it didn't but I can't say I'm surprised.

message 25: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 04, 2016 11:20AM) (new)

Laura wrote: "I caught up in 4 series with these books
Torn (LOST, #4) by Cynthia EdenNobody But You (Cedar Ridge, #3) by Jill ShalvisHawke (Cold Fury Hockey, #5) by Sawyer BennettStuck-Up Suit by Vi Keeland I finished The Stage Dive series w..."

Laura, I always like seeing your monthly reads as your shelf looks so much like mine. And, I think I'm easy to please too but it might be we're selecting good reads!!!

You've really got me itching to start the Stage Dive series:) Congrats on a good month.

message 26: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 04, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 6 series: One-Eyed Jacks by Cindy Gerard, Whiskey Creek by Brenda Novak, Fatal by Marie Force, Everything I Left Unsaid by Molly O'Keefe, Night Prince by Jeaniene Frost, and Fairham Island by Brenda Novak.

I started two new series, Colorado High Country by Pamela Clare and Elizabeth McClaine by Catherine Lea. Definitely plan to continue Clare's series, on the fence about Lea's.

I moved forward in five more series: Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris, Maggie O'Dell by Alex Kava, Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly, I-Team by Pamela Clare, and Highland Guard by Monica McCarty.

I had two 5-star reads, both by Pamela Clare. Barely Breathing was a great start to a new series. Striking Distance was just powerfully emotional, dealing with a tough topic. Another outstanding read was Molly O'Keefe's Burn Down the Night. It was a hard read as both characters were pretty unlikable for most of the book, which amazingly turns around.

I had another great month, not just for the numbers but the quality of the titles. And, I had a nice genre mix for my moods.

Barely Breathing (Colorado High Country, #1) by Pamela Clare Striking Distance (I-Team, #6) by Pamela Clare Burn Down the Night (Everything I Left Unsaid, #3) by Molly O'Keefe

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 6 series: One-Eyed Jacks by Cindy Gerard, Whiskey Creek by Brenda Novak, Fatal by Marie Force, Everything I L..."

You had a fabulous month, and I enjoy your reading list as well. I really am thankful that you are here, as not many in this group read what I read. I loved Stage Dive and I really think reading them back to back added to the enjoyment.

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "I loved Stage Dive and I really think reading them back to back added to the enjoyment...."

That's my plan! I have the audiobooks.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "I loved Stage Dive and I really think reading them back to back added to the enjoyment...."

That's my plan! I have the audiobooks."

I hope they are as good on audio. I look forward to your take on them.

message 30: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 245 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No.

Yes. I started the Scorpius Syndrome series by Rebecca Zanetti and will certainly continue.

Moved forward with 2 series. Sin Brothers (book #2) and Psy-Changeling (book #3).

Mercury Striking was a standout 4.5 stars. It's got action, suspense, and a great plot.

Not as productive as I would like but it's hard keeping up with reading when you do shift work. But at least I've enjoyed every single book I read so that's a plus.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Quynh wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No. 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? Yes. I started the Scorpius Syndrome series by [a..."

Glad to see you getting some reading in with the new job! Are you enjoying?

Congrats on getting some series reading in.

message 32: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 245 comments I miss my reading time but yes I'm loving my job!! :)

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Stephanie wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes!! Up to date on DCI Erika Foster.... The Girl In The IceThe Night Stalker 2. Did you start a..."

24 books!? That's outstanding!! And, you've completely sold me on DCI Erika Foster.

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

I've got the first book. Now to figure out how to fit it in.