Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > October 2016 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments October 2016 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only one nomination OR one second, per member. Only books that have been seconded will advance to polls.

4. Nominations will remain open until the 14th August; polls will open on the 16th and run until 31st August 2016.

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I'll second Divine Comedy

message 4: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Dianne!!! ;-)

message 5: by Tintinnabula (new)

Tintinnabula | 58 comments I'd like to nominate "The Monk" by Matthew Gregory Lewis (sorry I cannot add the link with the App!).

message 6: by Warner (new)

Warner West | 45 comments I'd like to second The Monk.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4098 comments I nominate Indiana by George Sand, a relatively short romantic tale of desires and constraints in 1830's France.

message 8: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments I second Indiana.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Since this is for October I'm going to nominate The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by The Brothers Grimm :)

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4098 comments Duane wrote: "I second Indiana."

Yay! Thanks, Duane.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I nominate The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri."

Dianne wrote: "I'll second Divine Comedy"

I'll add another second for The Divine Comedy.

Maybe this time we'll get lucky, Bat-Cat!

message 12: by Tintinnabula (new)

Tintinnabula | 58 comments Thank you Warner!

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9712 comments Mod
Warner wrote: "I'd like to second The Monk."

One I've been meaning to read a quite a while now. I will second this one.

Michaela (Journey into Books) I second The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales.

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Great start everyone, that's four books suggested and seconded in the first day and all good choices!

message 16: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments Hmm...October...a good time for something scary. I nominate The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories by Robert W. Chambers.

message 17: by Katarzyna (new)

Katarzyna S. | 96 comments I'd love to see some Polish accent Quo Vadis

message 19: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Sarah Anne wrote: "Since this is for October I'm going to nominate The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by The Brothers Grimm :)"

This would be fun! I have my copy of The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm on preorder for mid October (waiting for the paperback).

It'd be nice to have an excuse to finish comparing the first and seventh editions.

message 20: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I second The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories by Robert W. Chambers 287 pages and published in 1895.

message 21: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Julie wrote: "I nominate The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving"

Since that's only 100 pages, it would probably be better for a short story nomination?

message 22: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments Melanti wrote: "Julie wrote: "I nominate The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving"

Since that's only 100 pages, it would probably be better for a short story nomination?"

Unless you mean the collection it was part of: The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, Gentleman. The Sketchbook is now generally sold as The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories, and I totally second reading that because I have had a bookmark about 25 pages into my Penguin Classics copy for well over a year.

message 23: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments In honor of the spooky Halloween season, I nominate Uncle Silas by J. Sheridan Le Fanu.

message 24: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I nominate Mary Barton.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Mary Barton.

message 26: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Julie, would you like to keep your nomination of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in Old School, or would you prefer to move to the short story category as suggested by Melanti?

Also would you like to stick with the short story, or swap for the collection that Jon mentions The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories?

Any decision is fine, just let me know how you want to proceed :)

Jon, I'll wait to see what Julie decides, but do you want to second the individual story of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, or just if it's the collection?

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 649 comments Pink wrote: "Julie, would you like to keep your nomination of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in Old School, or would you prefer to move to the short story category as suggested by Melanti?

Also woul..."

Pink wrote: "Julie, would you like to keep your nomination of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in Old School, or would you prefer to move to the short story category as suggested by Melanti?

Also woul..."

I'll stick to my original nomination - if no-one chooses to second I'll just read it by myself :-)

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments That's fine Julie, there's time yet for it to be seconded yet. Obviously if it was to win at polls, everyone is free to read the additional stories in the collection, as extra reading :)

message 29: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Thank you, Wendy!

message 30: by Laurie (last edited Aug 06, 2016 05:40AM) (new)

Laurie | 1676 comments Katarzyna wrote: "I'd love to see some Polish accent Quo Vadis"

I will second Quo Vadis.

message 31: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Julie wrote: "I nominate The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving"

I'll second.

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 649 comments Susan wrote: "Julie wrote: "I nominate The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving"

I'll second."

Thank you Susan :-)

message 33: by Pink (last edited Aug 15, 2016 02:55AM) (new)

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Tintinnabula wrote: "I'd like to nominate "The Monk" by Matthew Gregory Lewis (sorry I cannot add the link with the App!)."

I second The Monk as well!

message 35: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments I'll second Uncle Silas.
This is for October, after all. The more horror choices on the ballot, the better.

message 36: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Melanti wrote: "I'll second Uncle Silas.
This is for October, after all. The more horror choices on the ballot, the better."

Thanks, that's all books seconded at this point, with a few hours left until nominations close.

message 37: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Nominations are now closed, all nine book suggestions were seconded this month and will progress to polls, which open on the 16th August and run until the end of the month.

message 38: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Our winning book for October is The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.