You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Louisiana Longshot
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > August 2016 - Louisiana Longshot

Comments Showing 1-50 of 155 (155 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments One of the group reads forAugust is Louisiana Longshot by Jana Deleon. Please discuss the book in this thread.

The discussion leader is Casceil.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during August 2016.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Waiting for my copy!!!

Casceil | 2695 comments Welcome to the discussion for Louisiana Longshot. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have. Feel free to post anything about your impressions of the characters, or the town of Sinful. I found that my impressions of the characters changed as I read, so it might be useful to note how you feel about them early in the book.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments I'm hoping to get to the book soon. I have to finish my current chunkster which is taking forever to get through.

Casceil | 2695 comments I understand, Janice. I'm reading an almost chunkster (under 500 pages, but not by much) and it is taking me forever. I've started mixing in other books for a change of pace. One of the many good things about Louisiana Longshot is that it is a fast read. I reread it over the weekend in less than two days. I expect people to drop in and out of this discussion as they read it. I do have some concern about how to keep the discussion going for a month if everyone reads it at the same time, so people coming in to the discussion later will be a good thing.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Have no fear. It will probably be at the end of the month for me, if I can find a copy. I have friends looking on their shelves for a copy for me.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Me too. Library is getting it for me but I am reading a book that is not grabbing me. It is Lord Jim. I will even stop reading it to do laundry. I will dirty clothes so I can stop reading it and do laundry,

lol

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments Renee wrote: "Me too. Library is getting it for me but I am reading a book that is not grabbing me. It is Lord Jim. I will even stop reading it to do laundry. I will dirty clothes so I can stop reading it and do..."

Oh dear. That's bad.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments I finished my lengthy time waster, so I'm good to start tonight. Woot!

Casceil | 2695 comments Renee, I sympathize. When I was a college freshman, I had to read Lord Jim for an English course. It was . . . slow. If I remember correctly it does get better by the end. Good luck.

message 11: by Lanelle (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lanelle | 3396 comments I picked up the free ebook from Amazon as soon as I saw that Louisiana Longshot was one of the monthly reads. I'm ready to start whenever.

Casceil | 2695 comments Great, Lanelle. I will be fascinated to hear what you think of the characters in this book.

message 13: by Cherie (last edited Aug 02, 2016 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Renee wrote: "Me too. Library is getting it for me but I am reading a book that is not grabbing me. It is Lord Jim. I will even stop reading it to do laundry. I will dirty clothes so I can stop reading it and do..."

Oh Renee, you had me falling off of my chair laughing! The guy sitting across from me was looking at me like I was crazy.

I have heard many stories about Robert Conrad books. Don't get Rusalka started on him!

I have Lord Jim on my TBR list, but no desire to get to it any time soon. I think this one is a "guy book" all of the reviews from males seem to be 4 and 5 stars and all of the ladies 1 or 2.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments I read the first chapter and so far, so good. I can see that it's going to be amusing.

Initial thoughts on characters - (view spoiler)

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments Oh, and Harrison - (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2695 comments Janice, the comparison to Miss Congeniality occurred to me too.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments Chapter 2 - We meet Gertie. (view spoiler)

Chapter 3 - I'm loving the fact that the town has been named "Sinful". It opens the way for some funny situations. (view spoiler)

Chapter 4 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 5 - (view spoiler)

Lots of laugh out loud moments in this book so far. I'm glad we have this as a group read because I would never have picked it up.

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I'm looking forward to this one soon. Something fun. This is available free on Amazon in Kindle format. That's the copy I'll be reading.

Casceil | 2695 comments Janice, I'm glad you are finding lots of laugh out loud moments. The first time I read this book, several years ago, I kept laughing out loud and then reading the funny parts to my family. They laughed, too.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments I finished to the end of Chapter 16. It's a bit difficult to discuss this book because it's fluff, stuff, and nonsense. But it's hilarious. I was howling in laughter last night.

Chapter 15 was wild. (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2695 comments Fluff, stuff and nonsense describes it very well, but it is entertaining fluff.

message 22: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan On page 10 and having fun already, glad she put the spike heels to good use.

Peter O'Tool starred in a movie version of Lord Jim, 1960's I'd guess. He'd be nice to look at even if the story gets boring.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments All of the comments make me want to read this book. I could use a good laugh; fluff, stuff and nonsense would be a nice diversion this week. But, my library doesn't have it, nor do the local used book stores. :(

Casceil | 2695 comments I'm sorry, TrudyAn. Here is a link to the book on the author's web page. She provides links for ways to buy the book. I see you are in Canada, so I don't know how these links will work for you. But in the US, Amazon has this available for Kindle for free. http://janadeleon.com/books/louisiana...

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments Amazon.ca has the kindle book for free as well, TrudyAn.

I finished the book last night. I gave it 4 stars because it's funny and had me laughing. It's rather a high rating for the brainless fluff that it is and I would have rated it much lower if I hadn't laughed so hard. I was a little disappointed in the end. (view spoiler)

I likely will read more in the series, at least until the novelty wears off. I love Gertie and Ida Belle. They really stole the show.

Casceil | 2695 comments I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Janice. I also gave it four stars for much the same reasons you did. The book is very funny, and so many books aim at funny and miss. Rarely does one cause me to laugh out loud as often as this one did. I first read it several years ago, when there were only one or two sequels out. Since then, I have read every book in the series as it comes out. They are always pretty cheap. The series has its ups and downs, but the books continue to be funny (at least when they are spaced out).

One thing I liked, and found surprising about this book, was the extent to which characters developed depth as the book went along. Fortune finds herself in new and challenging situations, and seems to grow a bit, emotionally, through dealing with them. And with her new "partners," Gertie and Ida Belle. I also liked the way Gertie and Ida Belle turned out to have more to them than it appeared at first read.

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments I agree about Fortune. (view spoiler)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments Thanks, Casceil and Janice. Ugh, I feel so old-school - I thought I needed a Kindle or other ereader and just realized that all I need is an app for my iPad. And the book is free? It can't get any better than that. I am going to try to fit this in before the end of the month.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments It's an easy and quick read, TrudyAn. You could zip right through it.

I have the Kindle app on my iPad. Works like a charm.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments My August plan was to read The Garden of Evening Mists, but I'm still waiting for it (I ordered it from the UK, hopefully it will arrive in time to read before month end). So I started Louisiana Longshot and finished about 35% becore I went to bed last night. You're right, Casceil, it is a quick and very easy read. This is so totally different from what I normally would choose to read (I seem to be saying that frequently these days). It is very light reading, but definitely has made me smile. I am interested to know the back story of Gertie and Ida Belle. Wouldn't they make great neighbours? Fortune's reactions to her new surroundings have been interesting.

Casceil | 2695 comments By the end of the book you will get more of Gertie and Ida Belle's backstory.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments I finished the book last night. It fit the "book that makes you smile" category perfectly. Good choice, Casceil! It was fluffy, quick to read, and amusing. I doubt that I will continue with the series, but it was a fun diversion.

There were clues that (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2695 comments Re: TrudyAn's spoiler: (view spoiler)

Jannene | 2934 comments I just started it.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments Casceil wrote: "Re: TrudyAn's spoiler: [spoilers removed]"

That would explain it! :)

Casceil | 2695 comments Hi, Jannene. I hope you like it.

message 37: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan CAUTION: reading this book on a commuter train may scandalize other passengers. The section about the trip to Number Two may cause you to chuckle aloud.

message 38: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Walter is such a cutie, carrying a torch for 40 years.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51934 comments Joan wrote: "CAUTION: reading this book on a commuter train may scandalize other passengers. The section about the trip to Number Two may cause you to chuckle aloud."

Oh, there are a few other parts that will have you laughing and snorting. Best to watch where you are when you read it.

Actually, I would love to witness someone losing it because the book they're reading is hilarious. Just as long as that person isn't me.

That happened to me in a card shop a number of years ago. I was browsing cards and found one that read, (view spoiler)I cracked up laughing in the store. There were a few funny looks aimed towards me. I was away from home at the time so I bought it and mailed it to my then-husband. He was a little insulted. I was so surprised. His sense of humour is umm... kind of crass, and I thought he'd think it was funny. I guess he couldn't get past the (view spoiler) bit.

Jannene | 2934 comments This book reminds me a lot of Stephanie Plum and her grandma Mazur. It is cracking me up.

Jannene | 2934 comments I enjoyed this book. I love Gertie as she reminds me of Grandma Mazur. However, once I read the ending I found out how wrong I had assessed her.

I like Fortune and will likely finish the series.

message 42: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan What fun this was, thanks Casceil, perfect for a summer read. I see the similarities to "Miss Congeniality " but I kept picturing Emma Peel from "The Avengers". Oh how I wanted a Lotus Elan like hers.

message 43: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 1426 comments It turns out I have the audiobook, and I just started listening. The narrator is really good. I love that when Gertie asks what to do about the evidence that Fortune's first question was (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2695 comments Re: Lara's spoiler (view spoiler)

Heather Morris | 125 comments I'm so excited to see this book is free on Kindle. I was disappointed that my library didn't have either book of the month.

YAY! for free kindle books!

message 46: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 1426 comments Casceil wrote: "Re: Lara's spoiler [spoilers removed]"

Yes, I thought it was awesome that was her first response. She was surprised, but willing to help her new friend without concern.

message 47: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Lara, it must have been great fun as an audiobook.

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Lara wrote: "It turns out I have the audiobook, and I just started listening. The narrator is really good. I love that when Gertie asks what to do about the evidence that Fortune's first question was [spoilers ..."

I loved that, too. Very amusing. And then even funnier when Gertie asks Fortune why she asked, and Fortune answers (view spoiler).

I'm about 4 chapters in. Glad for some fluff to read : )

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Casceil wrote: "Re: Lara's spoiler [spoilers removed]"

Me, too! My page wasn't refreshed when i wrote my comment, or i wouldn't have posted her response.

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Chapter 4 really had some parts that really cracked me up. Like (view spoiler).

« previous 1 3 4