Monthly Challenges discussion

August 2016 Challenge > August's Celebrate the Author "John Steinbeck"

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana S (last edited Sep 01, 2016 07:02AM) (new)

Diana S | 1801 comments Mod
For August - We are celebrating:

John Steinbeck John Steinbeck

Click Here: John Steinbeck's Booklist

Here's the spot to tell a little about the book you read. Rate it! Give us a mini review on how you like/dislike the book.

** You get a bonus point for your mini review. :D

message 2: by Diana S (last edited Aug 15, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

I read The Pearl by John Steinbeck The Pearl ★★★★

The last time I read The Pearl, I think I was in Middle School. Shorty afterward, I saw a TV movie about this book and I was scarred for life. The movie just reinforced the cruelty, injustice and greed that I experience while reading the book and I had NO desire to even to this book again.
The reading experience this time was still tough, but I could appreciate the Grace of Steinbeck writing while showing the injustice of what Kino and his fellow pearl divers deal with by the cruel and greedy pearl buyers. Steinbeck just told it like it was. Which was not probably not popular with the prejudice of the time that the book came out.
My heart still go out to Juanita and her baby. I think even more now that I have a 4 month grandson. It was an excellent read.

message 3: by Diana S (last edited Aug 15, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

I also read Cannery Row by John Steinbeck Cannery Row ★★★★★

I loved this book :D It remind me a lot of my favorite book by Steinbeck Tortilla Flat.
I loved the characters in this community of Cannery Row. It could be like any other community along the shoreline. But it had some very usual characters: like
Mack and the Boys, Doc, Dora Flood and her girls, Lee Chong, and the others which makes Cannery Row a great people watcher place. I glad I visited it and I would not mind visiting Cannery Row again. :)

message 4: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 338 comments Ha! I also read Cannery Row! I think this is my favorite of the Steinbeck I've read (I haven't read Tortilla Flat). It reminds me very strongly of Grapes of Wrath in that there is a main plot (oddly, the quest to throw a party for Doc, which emerges throughout the story) interspersed with vignettes about the other people living there. It's not as grandiose or overtly philosophical as Grapes of Wrath--it's a fun and interesting group of characters all figuring out life together in this small part of town.

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 484 comments Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck Of Mice and Men--8/25/16--it's been more than 50 years since I read this book in high school, and of course I bring a different viewpoint to it. While I still think it's depressing, I really enjoyed his spare writing and characterizations. The sense of impending doom hangs over every page, and next to his other books, I rate it just as highly.

message 6: by Diana S (new)

Marilyn wrote: "Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck Of Mice and Men--8/25/16--it's been more than 50 years since I read this book in high school, and of course I bring a different viewpoint to it. While I s..."

It still gets to me about Lenny. :(

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 610 comments Have either of you read Blaze by Richard Bachman (a/k/a Stephen King)? It's a sort of homage to OM&M. The language is VERY crude and profane, but the ending is almost as heart-breaking.

message 8: by Diana S (new)

I haven't, I'll have to check it out.