SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
This topic is about A Court of Thorns and Roses
All Book Discussions > A Court of Thorns and Roses (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
A discussion thread for our Aug - Sept BoM. Spoilers are permitted.

Mareli Thalwitzer | 163 comments Oh my greatness! I need to get my hands on this one as soon as possible. Yea! Who else is going to read it?

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
Me!

message 4: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
Ordering a copy as we speak!

Mareli Thalwitzer | 163 comments I'm not finished wit this one yet!! BUT I did get a copy and will try me best to get to it this month.

message 6: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
Same here!

message 7: by Jax (last edited Sep 27, 2016 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
So, I finished this.

I started with the Throne of Glass series, and I think that Maas's writing is getting better as she goes along.
Although, I also think that the publishers need to rethink marketing her work at YA's!

There was so much that I enjoyed in Court of Thorns, sadly - Tamlin wasn't one of them.
I don't really have anything against him as a character, but as a love interest, I just don't think he fits.
And I felt that way long before I reached "Under the Mountain."
Even though he's supposed to be a warrior turned reluctant High Lord, he has an air of entitlement about him. A broodiness. And it just nagged at me.

I really like Lucien's character - but I just wish that he wasn't quite so under Tamlin's thumb. I'm hoping that we'll get to see his character develop, because he really does have the potential to become so much more!! :)

If anyone else has read this - What are your thoughts on the lack of inhabitants in the Spring Court?
Even once Feyre 'sees' them, they don't seem to be around much. And aside from Lucien, Tamlin doesn't seem to have anyone else in his Court - aside from servants; which I found a bit weird...

message 8: by Jax (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

I didn't like Tamlin either... he was so bland.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Court of Thorns because I really kinda hated Throne of Glass. I'm glad I gave Maas another chance and that her writing is maturing and getting better.

Hmmm... I didn't really notice the lack of inhabitants thing. I guess I got used to there never being anyone from the beginning. Though the court always did have an empty feel to it the whole time in my mind, except for that one festival but that happened outside.

message 10: by Jax (last edited Sep 29, 2016 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I read A Court of Mist and Fury as well,
and it really highlighted how abandoned Spring felt.
And... the outdoor festival had guests from other courts - probably because Spring was so lacking in inhabitants...

The one thing I didn't like were the sex scenes - although that's mostly because I'm a mom of 2 tweenage girls, who also want to read the series - so when I read those, I was a little surprised. I read adult urban fantasy with less detail in the 'boudoir'!
As an adult - it doesn't concern me overly much. But I really don't think the publishers should be allowed to target these to a teenage market, without at least forewarning people of the content within - much like the rest of the media world does - they warn you about explicit content - so that as a parent, you can make the decision as to whether to let your kid watch or listen to the stuff.

As for Throne of Glass, do you mean the book? Or the series?
I enjoyed the book - It wasn't bad for a debut novel... but the story only really picked up for me about midway through book 3.
And now I cannot wait for the last book to be released!
I've been trying to fathom what Maeve's agenda could possibly be - but so far, I'm stumped at "she's insane, and just really vindictive!" - but part of me keeps nagging - that that cannot possibly be it....

I've only read the first book in the Throne of Glass series. It's good to hear that it gets better! Maybe I should also give it another chance.

message 12: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
I finally finished!
I also wasn't a huge Tamlin fan and I LOVE Rhys. He was my fav character.
Will you guys read the next one?

Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "I finally finished!
I also wasn't a huge Tamlin fan and I LOVE Rhys. He was my fav character.
Will you guys read the next one?"

Rhys is the best! I also really like Lucien. (view spoiler)

The second one is definitely on my to-read list. Just don't know when I'll get round to it.

message 14: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
I feel you! I was hoping for the same!

Yea we now just need to make time :)

message 15: by Jax (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Finally - sort of back online!! yay!! :)

If you like Rhys in the first book, you're going to adore him in Mist and Fury!!

Bargain Books had a few copies on sale for R89 (not sure if it's limited to Cape Town or not...)

message 16: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12659 comments Mod
Yay can't wait!

Cool will check it out :)