Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's July Jigsaw 3/3

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Aug 01, 2016 12:16AM) (new)

Shomeret | 1392 comments 8)Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovich (urban fantasy) 325 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/24 Finished: 7/30

Why Read: This is the most recently published in the Rivers of London series, and I hadn't read it yet. I kept on checking it out from the library and taking it back unread. I had enjoyed the first book in the series very much which is why I have been reading the sequels--with decreasing enthusiasm, I'm afraid. I'm more interested in the protagonist's boss than the protagonist.

Comments: The protagonist works for a paranormal division of the London police. He is sent to investigate the disappearance of two girls in Hertfordshire. This is the first book in the series to take place outside London. As you might expect, there is a magic involved--faerie magic. I'm allergic to the fae. Rating C.

9)The Secrets of Flight by Maggie Leffler (contemporary/historical) 344 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/30 Finished: 7/30

Why Read: My friend and co-blogger over on Flying High Reviews (formerly Book Babe) really loved this book. It's about a woman in her eighties who was an aviator during WWII and her relationship with a teen who helps her to write her memoirs. I'm very interested in female aviators.

Comments: I really liked the protagonist. The teen was annoying to me at first, but she matures. Rating B+

10)Dark Entry by M. J. Trow (historical mystery) 320 pages. Source: Library Started: 5/29 Finished: 7/31

Why Read: The facilitator of the F2F mystery group that I attend had read a book by this author. I looked him up and discovered that he wrote a series in which the Elizabethan playwright Christopher Marlowe investigates murders. Marlowe is widely believed to have been a spy, but in this book he's just a university student. I thought it would be a fun read. Books about Marlowe are usually entertaining.

Comments: One of Marlowe's friends is murdered, but he was thought to have committed suicide. Marlowe refuses to believe it.
It is a fun read with some great dialogue. Rating B

I rediscovered something that I knew already. I can read more books if I don't blog about them. My blog reviews take hours. Sometimes they take an entire day. I could be reading a book during that day. I love blogging, but only when I feel that I got a great deal of insight from the book. I dislike blogging out of a sense of obligation--especially when I could be reading an additional book instead.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1234 comments Shomeret wrote: "8)Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovich (urban fantasy) 325 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/24 Finished: 7/30 As you might expect, there is a magic involved--faerie magic. I'm allergic to the fae. Rating C."

Too bad about Foxglove Summer. I don't particular care for the fae in the Dresden series but did enjoy War for the Oaks by Emma Bull a number of years ago.

Otherwise looks like you had a great month and I added a number of the historicals you read to my TBR.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14992 comments Shomeret: I can see that happening, there are some books that an extensive review (blog) adds to the enjoyment, and some you just want to let go.
Shomeret wrote: "I rediscovered something that I knew already. I can read more books if I don't blog about them. My blog reviews take hours. Sometimes they take an entire day. I could be reading a book during that day. I love blogging, but only when I feel that I got a great deal of insight from the book. I dislike blogging out of a sense of obligation--especially when I could be reading an additional book instead. "

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14992 comments The Secrets of Flight looks interesting Shomeret!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments Dark Entry sounds good. I never know what to make of books where real life characters are given fictional lives, so I've stayed away from them, although there are a number around that get high marks. I certainly enjoyed the real life characters that were inserted into the Discovery of Witches series.