Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Getting into comic books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I'm not exactly new to the group but I haven't been super active...so hi!

I want to get into superhero comics, but I have no idea where to start! One of my friends said I might like Captain Marvel, but there are so many series and alternate universes and whatnot.... how does one begin??

I've read a couple of standalone graphic novels before, like Watchmen and Bone, but I haven't read any major serial comic books so I'm a total newbie to the comic world. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

message 2: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
Hi Kritika! :)

I can't help you, but this thread might!

message 3: by paolojackson (new)

paolojackson Sagullo | 5 comments For Marvel, you can pick up right after Secret Wars. For DC you can start with Rebirth. No matter where you begin, there is going to be a learning curve. I would just jump right in. Are there any characters you like? Start with them. You can find lists of their best story arcs.

I don't read much DC but for current Marvel you should definitely check out Vision and All-New Wolverine. Matt Fraction's Hawkeye was also incredible.

message 4: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) thanks Freya, that thread is exactly what I was looking for! and thank you Paolo for the recommendations!

message 5: by Rosie (new)

Rosie B Ms. Marvel is an amazing comic for beginners. The first trade paperback is called "No Normal". It follows a Pakistani-American teenager who suddenly gets super powers and has to figure out how to be a super hero.

message 6: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
No problem :)

message 7: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) PaperRose wrote: "Ms. Marvel is an amazing comic for beginners. The first trade paperback is called "No Normal". It follows a Pakistani-American teenager who suddenly gets super powers and has to figure out how to b..."

That sounds amazing! I'm super excited about Desis in fiction, people of south Asian descent are hardly ever in the media and it makes me feel like I fit in the fictional universe better :)

Thanks for the title also, I wasn't sure which book started which series!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.