101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

The Color Purple
This topic is about The Color Purple
Completed Reads > The Color Purple - pages 101-200

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
This section starts with "Dear God, Poor little Squeak come home with a limp." It goes through the section that starts "Dearest Celie, Just when I think I've learned to live with the heat, the constant dampness, even steaminess of my clothes..."

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
There's so much crammed into this section that I don't know what to think. Nettie and her perspective is probably the most interesting, since she's seeing the white imperialism move further into the African continent, but she's also seeing the flip side of the people who don't want to see beyond their own world. She sees that both whites and blacks are guilty of many of the same mindsets, though in different ways. I'm curious how her story in Africa will ultimately turn out.

On one level, it's been interesting watching the Celie/Shug friendship/relationship develop, but for some reason it's not engaging my attention as much now. Celie's learning about her father and what happened to her children is important of course, but all the relationships around her just seem so bland colorless. Is that why she's moving away, to try to get a new start?