What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Stand-alone fantasy novel. Protagonist has prophecy involving three goblets, the final goblet is missing representing oblivion.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Eisenhut | 3 comments I read the book about 10 years ago. The cover of my edition had a traditional wizard-type on the cover.

The protagonist was being hunted and the story ends when he annihilates himself. He received some prophecy about this (involving three goblets - where the final goblet was missing, representing that he had no future).

There was a particularly chilling scene where one of the hunters executed a criminal by binding them to a tree and decapitating them with a magical sword that bound their soul to the tree.

In reading this, I realize how completely insane I sound. Sorry! It's been driving me crazy that I can't remember this book's name. I think the title was just one word like "prophecy" or something. I'm less sure on this though.

Thanks for the help!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36067 comments Mod
A long shot - Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson?

Adam, is this fantasy for young adults/teens or older adults?

Is the hero a wizard or does he have special powers?

How does the prophecy describe the other two goblets?

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam Eisenhut | 3 comments Good guess, but I'm afraid that's not quite right. It is a book for older adults. I actually can't remember much about the protagonist - it was some type of redemption story (he may have been a thief or criminal). I actually don't think he had much in the way of powers as I remember thinking that the wizard on the cover was quite misleading! To answer your question I think the first goblet was the past, and the middle goblet was the present.

It was some obscure author. I'm on a fantasy kick and wanted to see if that author had written anything else, as I remember quite enjoying the book.

Thanks for the help!

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Do you recall if it was a new book at the time you read it, or had it been out for a while? What length was the book -- short, medium, long, doorstop? Do you recall who or what was hunting the main character? Or why he chose to kill himself?

Do you have any recollection of whether the author had written any other books? It sounds vaguely like something by Michael Moorcock.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Eisenhut | 3 comments It was a relatively short book (I laughed at "doorstop") and I think it was a first time author. I was looking for the book to see if he's written anything since. I unfortunately don't know how old the book was when I got it. The cover was some generic looking wizard holding a book or something... Sorry, that's all I can recall. Thanks for helping!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Adam, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gardens of the Moon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Steven Erikson (other topics)