NHCPL Reads discussion

What Are You Reading? > August 2016: What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Hanover (new)

New Hanover County Public Library | 42 comments Mod
Happy August!

Share with the group the title and author of books that you are reading this month.

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Aug 06, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Charlene | 21 comments I am reading The Gilded Hour by Sara Donati. She is the author of the Into the Wilderness series and the characters in this new book are descendants of the Bonner family. Great depiction of New York City in the late 1880s.

message 3: by Annice (new)

Annice (asevett) | 37 comments I started this month reading Good as Gone by Amy Gentry. I highly recommend it for fans of psychological thrillers like The Girl on the Train.

message 4: by Carla (new)

Carla (writeon1913) I have been a slacker lately, but I read and enjoyed The Invisibles: The Untold Story of African American Slaves in the White House by Jesse Holland. Great nonfiction about the history of those who worked in the White House as well as those who helped build the White House. I also learned a great deal about past presidents.

message 5: by Annice (new)

Annice (asevett) | 37 comments I have about 15 pages left in Brooklyn. Although historical fiction is not my first choice of genre for personal reading, I decided to read this book before I see the movie. I have enjoyed it and I like the writing style of Colm Tóibín.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shakeitout) | 2 comments I just finished "Born With Teeth" by Kate Mulgrew. I listened to it on Overdrive audio and Mulgrew narrates her memoir. Possibly my favorite read of the year. Her story is heartbreaking and uplifting. Simply beautiful.

message 7: by Patricia (last edited Aug 17, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

Patricia | 20 comments Finally got a copy of The White Donkey: Terminal Lance to read! I've been following the comic "Terminal Lance" for a while and I'm really looking forward to this book.

message 8: by Annice (new)

Annice (asevett) | 37 comments I just finished Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon. This psychological thriller focuses on a journalist who, struggling with alcoholism, takes on a case to try to revive her career. The case focuses on a young woman who is in a vegetative state due to an attack 15 years ago. As the journalist, Alex, works to solve the case, she realizes that while she thought it was Amy that needed her, Alex needed Amy too. I highly recommend it for anyone that enjoys psychological thrillers.

I have now moved on to Dope by Sara Gran. This book was recommended to me by a co-worker. While it is not something I would have picked up on my own, I am enjoying it.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 5 comments I'm reading The Widow by Fiona Barton. I'm enjoying the mystery so far, but it is very similar to The Girl On The Train to me.

message 10: by Carla (new)

Carla (writeon1913) I finishedA Thousand Steps by Anita Bunkley. It's been years since I read a book by her, but this was a great read. Historical fiction dealing with slavery as well as Native Americans who were forced to leave and head to "Indian Territory."