Libri Labra Book Club discussion

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
This topic is about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Buddy Reads > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Desirai | 256 comments Mod
I picked this up at the midnight release last night. I was concerned I wouldn't enjoy reading a screenplay format but I got over it after the first scene.

I'm on page 30 now and hooked. I'm concerned about where the story is going though. I feel like JK Rowling wants to break everything we've learned about the wizarding world.

I also hate the name Scorpius. I'll be back when I've read more.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates that name!! Haha

BUT... he does seem nice so far and I feel kind of bad about his mom. Not really sure what's happening yet but this is starting out pretty sad.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments Ok so I am halfway through and I feel gypped. Des you and I were so immersed into the books, do you feel this way too?

This book reads faster because the pages are half blank due to the format, so essentially it says it's 308 pages long but it's probably 3/4 that.
The story isn't as deep as it would be if it was a book-it's less detailed, I don't feel immersed in this book, I feel like I'm watching it not living in it. I understand that's the point of a script format but I miss that feeling of being there inside the story. To feel like I was up to 'no good' with them.
Also, I hated that four years flew by in a few pages, I wanted to get to know the characters better, I wanted to feel that same rush I used to feel reading her books.

Now, I know that's a lot of negative comments but as far as the story goes so far I am enjoying it, I decided to read it as if it were not really apart of the story, kind of like a fan fiction. It's an hors d'oeuvre to hopefully an even better entree...

Yeah. I know how you feel. I honesty had not planned on picking it up, but the midnight release hype got to me.

I get that it's a hardcover book and all but I'm not sure the story/script itself is worth $25. But I may feel different once I'm done with it. I don't know. I wish there was a way to see the play.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments I finished the book and at the end you see it is an actual play-started on July 29, 2016. All you have to do is go to London to see it.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments What part are you at?

AJ keeps taking the book from me to do his daily reading. lol I think I'm like 100 pages in.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments What's happening in the book, let's chat!

They used the time turner. Albus and Scorpius are back but they've clearly fucked shit up. Hermione is the DADA Professor and she's not very nice. Merlin's beard! What have they done!?!?

Venusproxxy | 13 comments Haha they keep saying Hermione was mean but I didn't think she was that mean. I find Albus to be a brat. I like scorpius. He's the only one who is making sense. I also don't like how Harry is being portrayed or acting.

Well you know more than I do. But think about it. Harry is just trying to protect Albus. He's projecting he's feelings about Draco onto Scorpius, in addition to being concerned about the rumors and Bane's divination. He's not seeing things as they are.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments But I still feel like Harry would never say those things

Really why? He's a dad now. And when you say those things... what exactly are you referring to?

Venusproxxy | 13 comments Like what Harry said to Albus. That's terrible!

Yes. It was really mean. But I'll admit that as a parent some close things have come out of my mouth in absolute frustration. Examples include "God! You're always in the way!" and a couple others I'm not too proud of. It happens. I don't think it makes him UN-Harry. I think it makes him human.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments I don't know, I don't have kids but I wouldn't forgive my parent if they ever did say that to me

Venusproxxy | 13 comments I should say I don't know if I could forgive my parent if they ever said that

I KNEW I shouldn't have trusted that chick! She was being WAY too helpful with their whole time turning scheme. Ugh! What do people get from being followers of Voldemort? Doesn't he treat everyone like crap? Why do they want him in power so bad?

Venusproxxy | 13 comments I never liked her. She seemed sketchy!! Plus what older girl hangs out with little boys....

OH! You know what I want to talk about that I had an issue with? People suggesting that Ron gave Albus a date rape drug.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/harry-...

What are your thoughts on that?

Venusproxxy | 13 comments That is the most absurd thing I have ever read-it's stupid! Hahaha wtf?
A rape drug? Jeez

Yeah I really don't see why someone would feel the need to turn it into that. Though I'm not entirely sure why Ron gave Albus the love potion anyway. Is this explained in the book subtly or not at all like the article suggests?

message 24: by Desirai (last edited Aug 07, 2016 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok. I finished it. Give me a day to process and I'll come back to give my thoughts. I noticed you also gave it 4 stars. Care to elaborate? I was torn between giving it 4 or 5 stars. But then the GoodReads rating tool tip popped up and that helped me decide.

Venusproxxy | 13 comments I don't remember reading anything about the love potion but it does play an important part in the end and I think that's why it was chosen. Ron is seen as a jokester and meant it to be funny, not maliciously

Overall I think I liked this. It scratched the Harry Potter itch I didn't realize I had. I'd really love to see more from this universe even if it's just about their kids. I like that Scorpius was unexpectedly different. I also appreciate that I didn't hate anyone. Even the villain in this story was understandably villainous. Well, maybe that's not true. I still REALLY hate Umbridge with a fiery passion. I'm not sure I've ever hated another character that much, ever. lol

I know JK Rowling didn't write this screenplay but it felt about 95% like the Harry Potter I remember, so I think they did a good job of getting the voices of her characters across. However, there were a few parts that may have raised an eyebrow and made me ask "Would this character say that or behave that way?" Luckily it wasn't enough to turn me off.

While I was at the book store the other day I noticed that the Fantastic Beasts screenplay will be out in November. I don't think I'll be picking that one up since the movie will be coming out that month. This just made me realize the biggest reason I got The Cursed Child was because seeing the play is not possible, unless I go to London, which isn't happening anytime soon.

In conclusion, I liked it, I enjoyed the story. However, I wish there had been a paperback option because $25 was too much for this one. It was not something I needed to have a hard cover of.