Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > August Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2024 comments Mod
It's August! Let us know what romance you are listening to!

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4629 comments Mod
I finished listening to The Rock by Monica McCarty, Highland Guard #11, and liked the story even though there were shortcomings. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to One with You by Sylvia Day, Crossfire #5, the FINAL book in the series.
The Rock (Highland Guard, #11) by Monica McCarty One with You (Crossfire, #5) by Sylvia Day

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Jonetta wrote: "I finished listening to The Rock by Monica McCarty, Highland Guard #11, and liked the story even though there were shortcomings. Here's my review.

I'm now listening..."

I need to get back to the Crossfire series. I was rather annoyed she extended the series. I love me some Gideon but it got to make sense.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Samantha wrote: "I need to get back to the Crossfire series. I was rather annoyed she extended the series. I love me some Gideon but it got to make sense. ..."

Me, too, and I'm ready for the story to reach its conclusion. That's why I moved it up.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

I got too many to go but I feel invested to finish because my love for Gideon. Lol.

I'm listening to The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street, #2) by Karen White The Girl On Legare Street

message 6: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I didn't really enjoy One with you. I liked the first 3 but then it just..dragged on too long for me.

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

I figured she could have ended this at #4.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Happy August! I'm currently listening to a new author (to me), Alice Clayton's "Nuts." The narrator is doing a fabulous job, and so far, I'm quite enjoying this light-hearted romance set in the Hudson Valley, which is where I grew up. Anyone else read anything by this author?

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Claire wrote: "Happy August! I'm currently listening to a new author (to me), Alice Clayton's "Nuts." The narrator is doing a fabulous job, and so far, I'm quite enjoying this light-hearted romance set in the Hud..."

I haven't read anything by her but I plan on listening to this audio in August. Hope you enjoy!

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments I'm curious if anyone has read any of her previous books. In her review comments, many people said they expected Nuts to be funnier, so I'm assuming her previous books were. This one is cute-funny, but since I have no pre-set expectations, I am totally enjoying it!

message 11: by Ancientpeas (last edited Aug 03, 2016 07:13AM) (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I loathed Wallbanger. It offended me on my whole "your orgasm is your responsibility" front. She blamed everyone for her issues and behaved like a child. I couldn't take it anymore. I won't read another book by this author since her views on how adult women should behave and mine are diametrically opposed. The narration was good though.

Edited to add: Wallbanger is by Alice Clayton.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

I hear good things about her but I haven't read her. I tend to stay away from reviews before reading a book.

message 13: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Although I didn't dislike Wallbanger for the reasons Ancientpeas does, I found the humor a little too forced and cutesie for my tastes. It got a C from me. From the reviews I'm pretty sure more people liked it than not, though.

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Ancientpeas wrote: "I loathed Wallbanger. It offended me on my whole "your orgasm is your responsibility" front. She blamed everyone for her issues and behaved like a child. I couldn't take it anymore. I won't read an..."

Really! Well, maybe she toned it down for Nuts. I haven't gotten that impression from this book at all, and I'm already nearly finished with it. Good to know, though, AncientPeas, because I had considered going with Wallbanger next. Doesn't sound like a place I want to go.

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments JaneA wrote: "Although I didn't dislike Wallbanger for the reasons Ancientpeas does, I found the humor a little too forced and cutesie for my tastes. It got a C from me. From the reviews I'm pret..."

The humor in Nuts hasn't seem forced, but not much of it anyway. Just enough to keep it lighthearted.

message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Samantha wrote: "I hear good things about her but I haven't read her. I tend to stay away from reviews before reading a book."

That's probably a wise move, Samantha! LOL But as an author, I tend to choose books based on the reviews. Not necessarily the good ones: I like to see what people DON'T like as well - so I know not to do it in my own books!

message 17: by Samantha (new)

I read all of the reviews afterwards. I also go with the 3, 2,1 star reviews. I like to see what turned people off.

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments JaneA wrote: "Although I didn't dislike Wallbanger for the reasons Ancientpeas does, I found the humor a little too forced and cutesie for my tastes. It got a C from me. From the reviews I'm pret..."

I've enjoyed several of AC's books, but agree that the humor is sometimes forced like 'stand-up' comedy that points out too hard that this is a laugh line. Irritating, perhaps explained by her history with podcasts where the humor is live.

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Oh, I didn't realize she had a podcast history! That would explain a lot.

message 20: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments I've just started listening to The House on Tradd Street by Karen White. Although it's not specifically listed on Audible/Amazon as a romance, the description implies a romance...along with a ghost story! My kind of book. Anyone ever listen to/read anything by Karen White? This is my first time.

message 21: by Samantha (last edited Aug 05, 2016 05:29AM) (new)

I am listening to book 2 in the Tradd Street series and I'm loving it.

message 22: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Claire wrote: "Oh, I didn't realize she had a podcast history! That would explain a lot."

Yes, it does! I like the way she writes, maybe I'll try Nuts to see if she's mellowed a bit.

message 23: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Claire wrote: "I've just started listening to The House on Tradd Street by Karen White. Although it's not specifically listed on Audible/Amazon as a romance, the description implies a romance...along with a ghost..."

I'm next in line for the audiobook at my library. It sounds like a fun series. Every time Karen White is mentioned I think of the narrator.... :)

message 24: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments "Every time Karen White is mentioned I think of the narrator.... :)"

I am not familiar with this narrator. Like? Dislike?

message 25: by Samantha (new)

It can be confusing.

message 26: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Samantha wrote: "It can be confusing."

I do find the narrator talks a bit fast for my slow brain =/

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Claire wrote: "Samantha wrote: "It can be confusing."

I do find the narrator talks a bit fast for my slow brain =/"

Who are you referring too?

message 28: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Samantha wrote: "Claire wrote: "Samantha wrote: "It can be confusing."

I do find the narrator talks a bit fast for my slow brain =/"

Who are you referring too?"

Now I'm totally confused. I thought we were discussing the narrator for Karen White's book, The House on Tradd Street.

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Haha. Yes and no. I thought you were saying that Karen White, the narrator, was talking fast.

The narrator for Tradd Street is Aimee Bruneau. I love her narration. She does a great job.

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Samantha wrote: "Haha. Yes and no. I thought you were saying that Karen White, the narrator, was talking fast.

The narrator for Tradd Street is Aimee Bruneau. I love her narration. She does a great job."

I just started the book. It's really got me intrigued so far!

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Claire wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Haha. Yes and no. I thought you were saying that Karen White, the narrator, was talking fast.

The narrator for Tradd Street is Aimee Bruneau. I love her narration. She does a gre..."

Great series, narration is quite good. Book 5 of the series will be released in January. Cannot Wait!

message 32: by Sue (last edited Aug 05, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Just finished Nora Roberts The Search The Search by Nora Roberts , Tanya Eby. This has got to be one of the few books that has actual humor. NR is not known for that... but these two sparked big time (had me chuckling from time to time... she's no SEP in that department but it was a nice change from her usual "serious". Must love Dogs!!!

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Sue wrote: "Just finished Nora Roberts The SearchThe Search by Nora Roberts, Tanya Eby. This has got to be one of the few books that has actual humor. NR is not known for that... but these t..."

Oh, I will have to put that on my to-listen list! I like humor, and there have been a few of Nora's I really loved. The Obsession was very good, and the Boonesboro Trilogy is one of my all-time favorites.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 511 comments I finished For You For You (The 'Burg, #1) by Kristen Ashley today and it is definitely my least favorite KA book. It took me much longer to wade through all of the long ass descriptions mainly because I couldn't care less about Feb and Colt's romance.

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

I haven't heard a lot about this series. Think you'll read the next book?

message 36: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Lauren wrote: "I finished For You For You (The 'Burg, #1) by Kristen Ashleytoday and it is definitely my least favorite KA book. It took me much longer to wade through all of the long ass descriptions mainly b..."

I think the next few are better than the first, but that's just me.

message 37: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Sue wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I finished For You For You (The 'Burg, #1) by Kristen Ashleytoday and it is definitely my least favorite KA book. It took me much longer to wade through all of the long ass descri..."

I've not yet listened to anything by KA, but have come close a number of times. For those of her who have read her, what would be a good one to start with?

message 38: by Samantha (new)

I recently saw that book 5 of the Tradd Street series would be out in January. That is good news.

message 39: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 05, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Claire wrote: "'ve not yet listened to anything by KA, but have come close a number of times. For those of her who have read her, what would be a good one to start with? ..."

I've listened to the first four books of her Colorado Mountain series and have loved them.

message 40: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem | 30 comments Yay! I will give them try!'

message 41: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Claire wrote: ""Every time Karen White is mentioned I think of the narrator.... :)"

I am not familiar with this narrator. Like? Dislike?"

Karen White the narrator is excellent. She narrates for Jill Shalvis and Julie James, among others. Highly recommended!

message 42: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Claire wrote: "I've not yet listened to anything by KA, but have come close a number of times. For those of her who have read her, what would be a good one to start with?"

I'd also recommend the Colorado Mountain series, narrated by Emma Taylor. Of that series the first 4 are the best, IMO.

I tried listening to Kate Russell, who narrates the Dream Man and Chaos series, but did not care for her at all.

message 43: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Lauren wrote: "I finished For You For You (The 'Burg, #1) by Kristen Ashleytoday and it is definitely my least favorite KA book. It took me much longer to wade through all of the long ass descriptions mainly b..."

The only ones out of that series I liked were Games of the Heart and possibly Hold On.

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 511 comments Jonetta wrote: "I haven't heard a lot about this series. Think you'll read the next book?"

Oh yes. I will definitely read the next. There were just a few tropes in this one that rubbed me the wrong way. I love KA's other books and I'm sure the next one will be better.

message 45: by Lauren (last edited Aug 05, 2016 09:16PM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 511 comments Claire wrote: "I've not yet listened to anything by KA, but have come close a number of times. For those of her who have read her, what would be a good one to start with?"

I started with the Dream Man series and moved on the Colorado Mountain series.
She has a recommended reading order on her website but its not hard and fast unless you are like me and have to read in order. Here's the link to the Reading Order

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 511 comments Samantha wrote: "I recently saw that book 5 of the Tradd Street series would be out in January. That is good news."

Fantastic!

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 511 comments JaneA wrote: "I tried listening to Kate Russell, who narrates the Dream Man and Chaos series, but did not care for her at all.."

It took me some time to get used to her mainly because her New Jersey accent didn't mesh with the Denver setting, but I ended up enjoying her narration very much by the end of the series.

message 48: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "Claire wrote: "I've not yet listened to anything by KA, but have come close a number of times. For those of her who have read her, what would be a good one to start with?"

I started with the Dream..."

Thanks, Lauren. I think I'll resume the Rock Chick series when I'm done.

message 49: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Lauren wrote: "It took me some time to get used to her mainly because her New Jersey accent didn't mesh with the Denver setting, but I ended up enjoying her narration very much by the end of the series."

Yes, it was that New Jersey accent! And the characters were either from California or Colorado! I am afraid I was a little more intolerant than you. :)

message 50: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Lauren wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "I haven't heard a lot about this series. Think you'll read the next book?"

Oh yes. I will definitely read the next. There were just a few tropes in this one that rubbed me the wron..."

I'll be interested in your thoughts on them. Also, about what you think of the narrators, I think they use a different one for each book in The Burg series.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.