The Post Card Exchange discussion

Book Discussions > Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy Marie (new)

Tracy Marie (whatawhimsicallife) I just started reading this book, if anyone wants to joint me. :)

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

message 2: by Rift (new)

Rift Vegan (riftvegan) | 441 comments Mod
Hey Tracy,
I just finished a book, so I think I'll be joining you! Just glanced thru the reviews... A major point mentioned by several is the online grief support group in 1986 which is quite unbelievable: Yes, there was an internet back then, but were there enough people on it for a specific support group? doubtful.

But that's okay! The book looks interesting, and maybe the above isn't a major plot point and can be overlooked. :)

Happy Day,
rift

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 340 comments I'll join you, but I'll behind you. I have a couple in line ahead of it. I have been wanting to read it for awhile. ;)

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahenilk) | 53 comments I've been meaning to read this for a while and actually made sure it was one of the books I didn't pack away when I moved! Love to join if I haven't missed the boat.

message 5: by Rift (new)

oops, I finished it over the weekend and forgot to post my comments!

When I started reading it, there was some Major deja vu... I didn't know what was going to happen next, but every sentence was familiar. I think we listened to this book at my day job, back when we were able to do that. Which didn't bode well for the book: if the books we listened to were even close to being good, I went ahead and got the book to read.

Sure enough, I didn't much like it. oh well. Will type more later, if you want to discuss!

Happy Day,
rift

message 6: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 340 comments That does not sound good, Rift. I have heard several good reviews as well though. I'll have to see for myself.

message 7: by Tracy Marie (new)

Tracy Marie (whatawhimsicallife) I'm not finished with it yet. My father passed away, and I had to put my reading on hold for a bit. Just now today, I am getting on line and checking all my email and websites. :)

message 8: by Rift (new)

Oh No, Tracy. I'm so sorry.

Best Wishes,
rift

message 9: by Tracy Marie (new)

Tracy Marie (whatawhimsicallife) Thank you Rift. :)

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 5 comments Tracy
I am so very sorry you lost your father. My mother recently passed from an aggressive form of bone cancer which took her very fast. In 2013 I lost my younger sister whom was my closest confidant. I wanted to tell you that my heart goes out to you. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss of your father. You arr in my tboughts and prayers. We are never prepared to loze those who we love so dearly.

message 11: by Tracy Marie (new)

Tracy Marie (whatawhimsicallife) Thank you very much Karen. I am sorry that you have had to deal with loss recently too.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 5 comments Thank you Tracy Marie
That was so kind of you to acknowledge. I am so aware of how hard it is to lose a loved one. It is always a shock. Something we are nevet prepared for. You are very kind. I hope that you can be extra kind to youtself at this difficult time. I am thinking of ypu and will pray for you, your beloved dad and your whole family.

message 13: by Tracy Marie (new)

Tracy Marie (whatawhimsicallife) Thank you Karen. Yes, I am taking it easy on myself today, as I return to work tomorrow.

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 340 comments Karen wrote: "Tracy
I am so very sorry you lost your father. My mother recently passed from an aggressive form of bone cancer which took her very fast. In 2013 I lost my younger sister whom was my closest confid..."

Karen, I am sorry to hear about your recent loss. No, we are never prepared. My deepest sympathies.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen | 5 comments Thank ypu Tracy Marie
You ate very kind and I appteciate your thoughtfulness and your generousity.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 5 comments Thank you so much Betsy
I am touched by your kind words!