Classic Trash discussion

The Maltese Falcon
This topic is about The Maltese Falcon
The Maltese Falcon > The Maltese Falcon: Finished (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1070 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished the book. Feel free to spoil away!

Cheryl | 938 comments I have already finished this book, but will wait until others are done to post my thoughts. I don't want to affect the reading experience of others.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 372 comments I really liked this book - a lot more than I thought I would (since, as you all know, this is usually not my genre). So this was one of the very first hard boiled novels? It's astounding how complex the characters are given the newness of the genre at the time. I had to do a double-take at the publication date. Now I must watch the movie...

Cheryl | 938 comments Sarah wrote: "I really liked this book - a lot more than I thought I would (since, as you all know, this is usually not my genre). So this was one of the very first hard boiled novels? It's astounding how comple..."

It certainly didn't seem like a book that was written in the 1930s. Lots of moral ambiguity for the "hero" of the book, and some frank sexuality. It was ahead of its time.

Cheryl | 938 comments I liked this book, but I think I liked the movie better. The plain writing style didn't pull me in , like other hard boiled writers have. That's not criticising Hammett, but simply a personal taste. I have to remember, too, how early in the genre this was published.

I really was pulled in to the backstory of the Maltese falcon statue. So when it turned out to be a fake, I was disappointed. It kind of felt like all that went on in the book was for nothing. Again, that's just my own preference.

I am glad I read the book, though. It's an important milestone in crime literature.

Adelaide Blair | 1070 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this one. My favorite private detective writer is Ross McDonald, but I enjoy Hammett's functional prose. I think it's hilarious though, when they discover the bird is a fake, and they're all, "Oh well, let's just go on another adventure." I think that end would have been more fun than everyone getting shot or arrested. Also, I do not get Effie's sympathy for Brigid O'Shaughnessy at all.

Cheryl | 938 comments Adelaide wrote: "Also, I do not get Effie's sympathy for Brigid O'Shaughnessy at all ."

My take on that is: the author was trying to show how great Brigid was at manipulating people and making them feel sorry for her so that they do her bidding. If she can fool even another woman, she must be extremely convincing.