Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Green Room (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments I just finished Green Room and it wasn't as extreme as I was expecting. The most horrifying moment to me was when Anton Yelchim got his hand hacked almost off.

It was an interesting set up though and I might appreciate the story more on repeat viewings. I did like the punk band vs neo-Nazis idea.

What did everyone think of it?

typewriterdeluxe I liked it. I wouldn't call it a horror film-- maybe thriller or survival? Help me out if you know a better genre fit.

I did go into it thinking that there was going to be a lot more nazi murdering than there was, so that was a little disappointing. I also didn't dig the atmospheric music they played during the van ride or the concert; I found it jarring and cheesy compared to the punk music in the rest of the film. But overall I liked "Green Room."

One of my favorite aspects of the film was that the band listed these hardcore musical acts as their desert island listening choices, which eventually changed to more honest and mainstream answers as the movie went on (and by the time Yelchin's character finally decided on his desert island band, nobody was there to listen (or nobody was there who cared, anyway)). I think it went well with my other favorite aspect of the film, which was that they were supposed to be a group of friends and a team but as soon as the shit hit the fan, they panicked and ran to save themselves (even if it meant losing track of their friends, who were getting mangled by dogs or baseball bats). The athletic character that I thought would have led them to victory died right away when the violence started. All these things-- the punk personas, the selfish fear for their lives, lack of success with typical action movie norms-- are disappointing and realistic and somehow refreshing.

typewriterdeluxe Oh! I should also add that I was very impressed (read: sickened) by the gore makeup/special effects. I wasn't expecting it to be so disturbingly realistic. Prosthetic Renaissance did an incredible job on this film.

message 4: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments I did like the desert island thing.

Good point here: "All these things-- the punk personas, the selfish fear for their lives, lack of success with typical action movie norms-- are disappointing and realistic and somehow refreshing."

message 5: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments The violence did feel realistic and well done.