Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

With Baited Breath (Lotus Bay Mysteries #1)
This topic is about With Baited Breath
Featured Series and Cozies > Lotus Bay Mystery by Lorraine Bartlett

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Jul 31, 2016 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nell | 2842 comments Mod
The featured series for July '16 is Lotus Bay mysteries by Lorraine Bartlett. The first book in the series is With Baited Breath. After her grandmother's death, Tori Canon helps her grandfather run their bait shop and motel.

With Baited Breath (Lotus Bay Mysteries #1) by Lorraine Bartlett

There is an e-book prequel
Panty Raid (Lotus Bay Mysteries #0.5) by Lorraine Bartlett

Panty Raid

Discuss this series here.

Nell | 2842 comments Mod
I started reading With Baited Breath this afternoon. This is a new series for her. I recently read the third (and last) book in her Victoria Square series.

Barbara Sousa | 444 comments I've had this book on my TBR list for a while now and am happy to get started on it. Since this month is going to be dominated by the Olympics (at least in my house), I will be concentrating on just this one book. Happy reading to all!

Julesy | 398 comments I've read With Baited Breath a while ago and enjoyed it but didn't love it.

Nell | 2842 comments Mod
Finished this one yesterday. Unexpected developments at the end of the book when the author weaves in a pressing social issue. I like the main characters. This series has promise.

Barbara Sousa | 444 comments I finally got a chance to read With Baited Breath. It was an enjoyable read overall, but could have been really good with a few tweaks.

In the first half of the book, the same incidents were relayed through multiple characters (or by means of narration) without the later iterations revealing any new information or perspective.

And, while I generally enjoy the inclusion of multiple narrators, there was so much back and forth in perspective, I had trouble connecting to any one particular character at first. I would have preferred to focus on Tori, whose point of view we see from the beginning and only weave in Kathy's perspective when absolutely necessary. The author could easily have focused on Kathy (or, more hopefully, Anissa) in a subsequent book.

That said, the second half of the book picked up when the mystery came into focus. The social issue made the resolution more meaningful, but it probably should have been foreshadowed in earlier chapters.

The ending was predictable, but sweet, and the characters really do grow on you. As Nell said above, the series has promise, and for that reason alone, I will probably read the next book.