.. discussion

The Girls
This topic is about The Girls
Emma Cline > The Girls | Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lex (likeliterallyliterary) | 194 comments Mod
I expected to really love this but I expected this to be more intense, more about the cult, and more of an insiders perspective instead of a coming of age story. Evie wasn't very involved in the cult and during the entire book she doesn't know how serious her involvement is.

What did you think about The Girls? What did you like? What did you dislike?

Full review: http://alexatalksbooks.blogspot.ca/20...

Roxanne | 75 comments I thought it was well written, to be honest I didn't like or get the present chapters, for me they seemed to have zero meaning. I also don't think the book came close to the creep factor (well the right one) and the whole vibe that surrounds the Manson family.

message 3: by Lex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lex (likeliterallyliterary) | 194 comments Mod
Roxanne wrote: "I thought it was well written, to be honest I didn't like or get the present chapters, for me they seemed to have zero meaning. I also don't think the book came close to the creep factor (well the ..."

I totally agree with you, Roxanne. I've now watched some interviews of Emma Cline about The Girls and she says she wanted to focus on the girls part of the cult scene but even with that knowledge I still think it was a miss. I don't feel like I've learned anything new, Evie is a girl who happened to find the cult and never knows how serious her involvement is.

I was really excited for this but it didn't pull through.

Roxanne | 75 comments Alexa wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "I thought it was well written, to be honest I didn't like or get the present chapters, for me they seemed to have zero meaning. I also don't think the book came close to the creep f..."

I feel exactly the same way. I was really looking forward to this book, but i just felt disappointed. It fell flat...for me