Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] 6th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
The results are in for our first "second chance" poll. But... only two of them were granted access into the final list.

Winners
- An epistolary fiction book
- A title that doesn't contain the letter "E"

Bottom 4:
- A microhistory
- A comic or graphic novel
- A play or script
- A really long book

Those interested in additional insight: just about all of the topics were very polarizing in this poll. Many of the topics in the top positions were also in the bottom. For example, "microhistory" received 29 votes (3rd place) for it and 31 against it. "A book about a plague" received 28 votes (4th place) for it and 24 votes against it. It wasn't much better in the close call topics. With that in mind, the mods have decided to pull only the top 2.

The remaining 2 vacancies in the list will be filled either by close call topics in the future polls or through a 14th mini-poll.

Suggestions for the 7th mini-poll will open on Wednesday, August 3rd at 8am EST.

message 2: by Zaz (last edited Jul 31, 2016 05:42AM) (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments The results were very weird, it seems we had something like "this would be interesting in the list" vs "I prefer this category".

I'm very surprised Microhistory was so unpopular (half unpopular) but it's probably intimidating for many members (it's the case for me).

I voted for epistolary, so it's nice to see it there. It will add something new to the challenge as we never did these formats and it'll be interesting to see the different choices and genres that use them. I've many books on my TBR, so no idea which one I'll pick.

I didn't vote for E because it's not challenging for me, but it's a fun category. I've at least 13 books for it, I'll have a headache deciding what to choose.

Too many books, no idea how I'll fill my plan.

message 3: by Silvia (last edited Jul 31, 2016 07:02AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1064 comments Although I didn't vote for any of the top, I am actually excited with the epistolary fiction book :-) I am surprised that just two categories made it ... there were so many good categories :-(

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments Very happy with both of those.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) These winners are ok. But as discussed in previous polls, we really should start having actual genre winners instead of ones where you can pick any book you want. The point of a challenge is to expose you to things you don't normally read, not read whatever you want.

message 6: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3218 comments Jennifer wrote: "These winners are ok. But as discussed in previous polls, we really should start having actual genre winners instead of ones where you can pick any book you want. The point of a challenge is to exp..."

Well epistolary is very limiting (which I love) so that one works. The no "e" category isn't terribly challenging for some of us, but for others they will have to reach outside their normal comfort zone to fill that. At least that it what I was seeing in the posts about no "E" titles earlier in the week. Myself, I put that as a bottom 4 but I'm not unhappy that it made it.

If I had any slightly negative comment it would be that I am sad that we only ended up with 2 new topics from this poll. It just feels like we were SO divided that we kind of wasted a voting week. I agree 100% with the decision of the mods given how close the votes were though. So on to thinking about what topics to nominate next time I am eligible to do so. :-)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2801 comments I agree with Amy, it's a shame that we only ended up with 2 winners. It does seem like a bit of a waste. I think the nominations for this round though should give us a pretty good idea of what kinds of topics people want though.

message 8: by Francesca (last edited Sep 08, 2016 03:06AM) (new)

Francesca | 780 comments I'm really surprised by the result. Not surprised about which two won because I thought they were very popular topics but surprised that we only ended up with two, and with just how divisive the other topics were. Some of the bottom ones were pretty predictable. I knew the comic/graphic novel and the play/script topics wouldn't be very popular. I'm wondering if two of the divisive topics could've been added as well as the other two anyway though. If they were third and fourth as the winners then the fact that they got the same amount or more of people not wanting them wouldn't have made that much of a difference because I don't think everyone votes on these polls (as in, the whole group doesn't) and even if they were pretty divisive, some people wanted them and it could just add to the challenge. I wouldn't have minded if a topic I didn't want made it in if it had been voted for by others.

message 9: by Marina H (last edited Jul 31, 2016 10:46AM) (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Rachel wrote: "I agree with Amy, it's a shame that we only ended up with 2 winners. It does seem like a bit of a waste. I think the nominations for this round though should give us a pretty good idea of what kind..."

I wouldn't say that. I think this voting shows why these topics weren't picked the first time they were suggested. They don't appeal to the majority of the group, and that apparently goes for all of them.

I too feel like this voting was a bit of a waste. And I'm wondering how the next polls with second chance topics will be? The topics that weren't picked this time, will they be possible topics in the next poll? If so, it seems to me that we in some cases might end up with topics only voted in because they were suggested so many times.
If I was to decide, the topics resubmitted in this poll has now had their chance and can't be submitted again. But that's just my opinion :)

message 10: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 697 comments Maybe we should do the next resubmit poll with topics from poll 7 and later polls. I think that will give us enough choice.

message 11: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

My suggestion would be to have polls 7-13 devoted strictly to new topics and then have poll 14 be dedicated to resubmits from the second half. We could then just have a top 2 again in order to get the 2 spots we have left over from this one.

I think that ensures that polls get a second chance but we aren't including ones that aren't truly liked.

message 12: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Laura wrote: "My suggestion would be to have polls 7-13 devoted strictly to new topics and then have poll 14 be dedicated to resubmits from the second half. We could then just have a top 2 again in order to get ..."

That sounds like a really good idea.

message 13: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments Wow, that was a bit unexpected.

In a largeish group like this, I think it is hard to say what the silent majority thinks, because either they are perfectly fine with anything thrown at them, they were unable to vote in this poll, and/or they just don't like voting. So to think that half of the group was against microhistory (my suggestion week 5) is a tad incorrect, but since more people didn't vote, we can't say but that they didn't vote for it.

I'm just amused by all this (human nature is fascinating), and in the end I'll read anything, as I'm not hugely passionately against particular genres/themes. As long as I get to read, all is good.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments I think the whole resubmit poll this time was interesting. It just didn't seem to have the same energy as when the poll has new suggestions. It took longer than most of the previous polls to get to 20 suggestions. That makes me think that maybe people are more enthusiastic about submitting new suggestions as opposed to using their chance to make a suggestion to resubmit.

I definitely had a hard time choosing what to vote for this time too. Up until now, I've just selected the 4 I like the best. This time I didn't know whether to try to go for ones I thought would win or not, whether to vote for ones I voted for the first time around or use this chance to vote for others that I liked that I hadn't selected previously. I probably overthink. I voted for epistolary novel the first time, but since it came through as polarizing in that round, I didn't vote for it this time. And then it won. That surprised me.

I'm also surprised that we could only get a top two out of 20 choices. That's so interesting. I am really bummed that even though microhistory was in the top, we still don't get to use that category. That means the group who doesn't like something always trumps the people who do like it, which is disappointing. Even though I totally understand and respect the whole reason for doing the bottom 4. It just stinks when your most favorite category gets left out because of it. It won't stop me from reading microhistories, since they're one of my favorite genres, but I was excited about the prospect of getting recommendations from other group members and seeing what other people picked.

I'm just looking forward to the next poll and a group of new suggestions. People have had a lot of time to think, so I bet there will be some good ones. I have an idea in mind, so I hope I am able to get my suggestion in this time.

message 15: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3218 comments Just out of curiosity, how many of the members participate in the voting? It doesnt really matter, the results stand if its 90% of thr group or only 10%. Just nosy I guess. If mods think knowing that number might cause issues of some sort, feel free to ignore me. :-)

message 16: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3218 comments And I agree that the next bunch of polls should be all new topic ideas. The old topics have all been voted to death by now. Moving on. :-)

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2801 comments I agree that the next resubmission poll, if we have one at all, should only include resubmissions from the second half. I find it a bit strange that when asked last time, the majority of us voted to have 2 resubmission polls but when it came time for it, there didn't seem to be much enthusiasm to participate. I think Amy may be on to something here with how many people the votes represent. Not that it matter since the decision stands, but it does make me a bit curious. I'm wondering if people who weren't keen on a resubmission poll chose not to vote this time around.

message 18: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Usually, the number of members who vote is between 100 and 200. This year, we have a little more participation than last year, which is nice :)

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments Question what's an epistolary fiction book,

message 20: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3218 comments 100-200 people voting out of 2,480 members (granted a portion of that probably isn't actively participating in the challenge at all, but still.) Wow. That's only 4-8% of the members making the decision for the group. There are a WHOLE lot of people here that have no right to complain next year if they don't like the topics we end up with!

message 21: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Katie, I do think it's really important to just vote on what you like and not on what you think the group will like or what will win. If everyone votes on what they think will be popular then the list won't really represent anything. I only say that because I've seen a lot of people saying that they vote according to popularity so it doesn't seem to just be you :)

I try to add weight to the bottom 4 just because if someone puts something in their bottom 4 then they probably really don't like the topic. Maybe some are more ambivalent but I would guess that most of the more ambivalent topics would just not be represented in the bottom and would fall more in the middle for people. If someone dislikes a topic enough to place it in their bottom 4 then I don't really want to put it through to the final list.

I did notice that the suggestions came in slower this week but we got about the same number of votes. I know I was able to suggest in this round but I decided to save it for poll 7 since re-submitting would prevent me from giving my new one. Some may have been thinking along those lines.

Elizabeth, epistolary fiction is told through letters, emails, diary entries. Here's a link for inspiration: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

Amy, just judging by the commenting I think it's safe to say that we have about that number of active participants in general. Unfortunately, a lot of people join a group and then trickle off. I wouldn't really saying that we're wrongly representing the group since I have a feeling a good number of the active participants are also participating in creating the list.

message 22: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3218 comments I don't think we are wrongly representing at all. If people aren't voting, then they must not care. And just like in elections, if you don't vote, you can't b****!

I say we pick all really crazy out-there topics from now on just to screw with them! (like the one I just saw, pick a title with one word from a name on a Campbell's Soup can.) Have fun with that! :-)

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments Laura wrote: "Katie, I do think it's really important to just vote on what you like and not on what you think the group will like or what will win. If everyone votes on what they think will be popular then the l..."

thinks for answering my question, and for putting up the link ,just got check it out and I found out that I own some of them , so for that one I don't have to go get any.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments ok so for this one A title that doesn't contain the letter "E", the can't be in just the title or does it have to not in both the title and the author's name, sorry for been a brother,

message 25: by Peter (new)

Peter | -20 comments I can't say I'm keen on either of the top two. I don't care for the "no E" topic at all, and I'm not a fan of epistolary fiction. I just find it gets tedious with the repetitive nature at the beginning of letters or diary entries with dates, times, etc. That said, I believe Dracula is considered epistolary in nature. Can anyone who has read it confirm that? If so, I'll use this topic as an excuse to catch up on a classic I feel like I should have read by now. For anyone who is looking for a book for this category, I can recommend Ella Minnow Pea: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable. I read it this year for "a girl's name in the title". It's a very quick read and a pretty clever book.

I don't know if I would call this a waste of a voting week though. It's not like we are on a deadline or will run out of polls and be stuck with 50 topics instead of 52. I think if there was a lot of division in the voting, we will only be better off taking the two that were clearly on top.

In the end. Laura's idea of doing another resubmit for the second half of the polls and only taking the top two from that after the rest of the polls are finished seems like a great idea to finish off our list.

message 26: by Pamela (last edited Jul 31, 2016 03:43PM) (new)

Pamela | 1078 comments Amy wrote: "I don't think we are wrongly representing at all. If people aren't voting, then they must not care. And just like in elections, if you don't vote, you can't b****!

I say we pick all really crazy ..."

I did vote, but for some reason I did not get a notice there was voting, even though I'm subscribed to the thread

I love the idea of some crazy ones! If we do the Campbell Soup can. at least I have an excuse to read the microhistory Salt.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments Peter wrote: "I can't say I'm keen on either of the top two. I don't care for the "no E" topic at all, and I'm not a fan of epistolary fiction. I just find it gets tedious with the repetitive nature at the begin..."

Dracula is an epistolary in nature , because the story is told in epistolary format, as a series of letters, diary entries, and ships' log entries,

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Amy, I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you about the no "e". There are plenty of book titles with no "e", in every genre so it is still very easy for people to choose a book that fits into their comfort zone for that topic. I voted for the epistolary type book because I despise books like that so i'm glad it won.

I also think it's a great idea to have all new topics for the next few rounds of voting just so we can get some new topics. The campbell's thing does sound interesting and that may make it a little harder to find a book.

As far as lack of participation from majority of the members of our group, maybe it's time for the mods to eliminate those that have never commented or participated in any form.

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I don't think we should remove people from the group if they're not actively participating. Some people may be reading the message boards and getting book ideas without posting anything at all. One of the reasons why I joined this group last year is because I wasn't required to participate like some other groups. I think it's what gives this group such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. I don't think we're suffering by having inactive members.

message 30: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3218 comments I agree with Nicole. There are several groups that I actively go into and browse, I just don't post anything there for various reasons. I would be sad to be bumped out of those groups just because I didn't post comments ever.

And Jennifer, you are right about the no "e", however there are very very few challenges that you couldn't twist to fit your own genre preferences into if you really, really wanted to. I personally have 674 books in my TBR right now. I bet almost anything that ANY genre, title challenge, cover challenge, etc, I can find something on that list to fit it, if I want to. My intent for next year is to add more challenge to myself by having books that fit the 52 books challenge AND fill a slot on my US or Around the World personal challenges. Some people, who just want to read more, not harder, will just pigeon hole in their current tbr to fit the list we come up with. That's fine too. I think Zaz and Laura have both said that it's really up to each of us to make the challenge as difficult (or as easy) as we want it to be. As long as we're all having fun, it's all good!

message 31: by Peter (new)

Peter | -20 comments Inactive members don't have any detrimental effect on the group. There is no reason to start making assumptions and excluding people based on whether or not they have posted. This has always been an open and inclusive group and there's no reason to change that now.

message 32: by J (new)

J Austill | 664 comments Jennifer wrote: "I voted for the epistolary type book because I despise books like that so I'm glad it won. "

I like how you think! I've been voting for topics that are challenging for me without being impossible for other people. But the only one of these that I voted for or against (either the winners, the bottom 4, or the controvercial ones was the play (voted against).

I already had books picked for both the Epistolary (The Martian) and the No E (Wool) topics, since they seemed popular and I thought they'd win.

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments J wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I voted for the epistolary type book because I despise books like that so I'm glad it won. "

I like how you think! I've been voting for topics that are challenging for me without ..."

I also like the idea of the epistolary fiction because it gives me a chance at either re reading Dracula or picking up one of the books I have by others that I've still not read or books by authors that I've read but the books listed on the list I still haven't picked up, as for the read a title with no e I'm going through my kindle books to see if I actually have some.

message 34: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments There's no way the mods will clean the members because:
- it's not a web forum we own and we're not all powerful, it's a group inside a large website;
- there are many people that participate actively to the challenge without commenting (I follow some on GR or Booktube);
- as said by some others here, the group is inclusive and if you want to start to participate more next year, it'd be difficult to do so after being removed (last time I deleted a spam member, I think he was banned and I don't know where to unban);
- we have books to read and other fun things to do in our lives so spending hours deleting members is totally not scheduled.

I vote against the Campbell soup, I don't have them in my country :p Be inclusive and go with just "on a soup package" thanks :D

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) The only reason I mentioned the inactive members is because had mentioned before about how only a very small portion actually contribute to the group with discussion and other group activities. I have also browsed through our member list and have noticed there are several that are not even active on GR anymore. It's somewhat misleading to keep the actual dead members in the group when they don't even do anything on GR anymore, because others that come across the group think we have thousands of active members, which might deter them from joining thinking that the group already has too many members to keep up with. Kind of like the original mods of of the Popsugar challenge we were all in last year.

Zaz, we could give you all kinds of photos of Campbell's soup labels. Heaven knows there are more than enough of them, lol. Especially if we post some of the original photo's of soup labels.

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Aug 01, 2016 01:04AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments Fair points, Jennifer. The participation aspect of the group is what keeps it thriving and growing and that's not possible without our active members. Tip of the hat to you all!

That being said, Zaz is right on all points. Most particularly that our time could be better spent on nurturing the group we have rather than trying to weed out who we perceive to not be participating. It's a slippery slope. I've been silently working on a directory of all the member plans to make it easier to locate them and, in the process, have been in the plans folder a lot. I can say, with confidence, that there are many people updating their plans who I have not seen actively commenting. If they're with us in spirit, that's good enough for us.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments With me I try to do both up my challenge and do the discussion,but there are some days when I have a bad day, thinks to this stupid ovarian cyst,there are days I'm not hurting and there are days where I hurt that I just want to lay in one place and try not to move,even if my laptop is beside my bed.

message 38: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I think it's great to have a challenge that's balanced between prompts that are easier and more challenging to fill. We don't all use reading challenges for the same reason - I personally have a ridiculously large TBR, and I'm currently focusing on reading some of the classics that I haven't read yet. And I guess the main thing is, what's challenging for some people isn't necessarily challenging for others.

For those who don't find some of the prompts challenging enough, you can always add your own extra layers of difficulty. If you have a bunch of things you also want to achieve (read a book in a particular genre, or a microhistory), you could always stick a bunch of paper slips in a jar and pick one out to match with the not-so-challenging prompt), so you could end up with something like "read a Steampunk book with a title that doesn't have an E in it".

message 39: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Don't worry Zaz, you can find inspiration here: Campbell's soup :-D

message 40: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments With regard to inactive members, the 'dead weight' will disappear when the 2017 group is started and everyone will have to make an active choice to continue.

I think this is the nature of Goodreads, people come and go, and the most important thing to see to in my opinion is that those who actually wish to vote, will have a fair chance at doing so by keeping voting open across time zones long enough.

message 41: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments Oh, and like Jody said, we can make it as easy or as difficult as we wish to. I could see myself grabbing some of the not chosen prompts for those chosen.

For example, if I was very keen on reading a graphic novel or microhistory not chosen, I could pick one without an e in its title, since I have several to choose from on my tbr. In fact, I'd love to see this kind of creativity in others' choices, too!

message 42: by Zaz (last edited Aug 01, 2016 04:15AM) (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Aglaea > we won't move for 2017 so we'll just have more inactive members on top of the others :p (it's the same for all the groups, usually there are less than 200 active members and I've to say that I've less than 10 comments in some groups I'm since 2014).

Marina > wow, thanks, you saved my life. Now I'm ready for the Campbells prompt, bring it to me!

message 43: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments Ah okay! Whatever works, I'm not bothered by inactivity, the people must have found something appealing when first signing up :)

message 44: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I can see the concern over inactive members but I honestly think that the organization of the group trumps the number. If we had over 2,000 members and the threads were also a mess and confusing then people would likely be overwhelmed. That's largely why I (and likely the other mods) try so hard to keep on top of the things like "Title, by Author" format and duplicate discussions. I'm a member of plenty of groups where's there's just insanity in the thread organization and it is a big deterrent for me. While I'd love to see 2,000 votes on a poll, I don't mind having inactive members. And my free survey software would no longer be free :P

message 45: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments A question about the alphabet folders: if we're not moving, will all those threads be archived? Because week numbers obviously will be different, but then again people have read a particular book for a number of different weeks this year, so I'm assuming the foundation has been made this year on top of which we keep building next year?

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments We haven't decided on that yet, Aglaea. We're weighing the pros and cons of both because, as Laura said, we like to keep it neat and orderly. :)

message 47: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments I know I've said it before but I'll say it again. I absolutely love the neatness here and how logical everything is. Thank you so much!

message 48: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I think we should keep the A-Z folders active. The books are still the same books, and I can't really see any benefit to archiving them, since they can be read for multiple weeks, no matter what year we are in. It feels like to close them only to reopen them next year would be creating duplicate threads for no real reason,

message 49: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1064 comments Jody wrote: "I think we should keep the A-Z folders active. The books are still the same books, and I can't really see any benefit to archiving them, since they can be read for multiple weeks, no matter what ye..."

I think the same. We would loose interesting comments if we just archive them.

message 50: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Maybe we could add a post in each A-Z topic with a "--- End of the 2016 discussion ---", so it'll be clear for everyone.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.