World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Selfie culture: narcissism or technology?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments 'Selfie' - what a beautiful new word describing the novelty and innovation in new millennium's cultural heritage.
I remember passport photos to capture my physiognomy for offical documents. That was mostly it. Most other photos were against some memorable background.
But nowadays, selfies are probably the most frequent pictures taken in millions every given minute. And those selfie sticks? Some would say it's the most awesome invention of the century.
Have I done selfies? errr...... Confess
But if the phones manufacturers put two cameras on the cellphone, it's for a reason, right?
What do you think: does selfie culture reflect a growing narcissism or is it just a natural response to a technology allowing to shoot backwards and forward? -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments It's tempting to define this as narcissism but it doesn't necessarily fit the definition. It is more about using technology as another way to self-express. It is more about validation than clinical self-absorption.

message 3: by Chikamso (new)

Chikamso Efobi (cheexy) | 16 comments I don't think there is anything wrong in selfies, I also don't think it is a sign of narcissism to take selfies. It just reflects the instant gratification culture of modern society. I remember when I was much younger and I had to go to the photographer and wait for 2 weeks after the snap before I lay my hands on my picture. Now it is all instant.

Sometimes when I am in too much of a hurry or not in a place where I can find a mirror, I use my camera to check that everything on my face is in place...lol.

The fact is that the world is changing and technology is both changing with the needs of those it serves and also driving said change.

I say embrace and monetise it if you can.

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Eeeek! *waves all crazy-like* Miss Chikamso!!!

Instant gratification? Monetisation?

Ditto.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments Thinking of monetising selfies, should I offer readers new selfie each week, if they buy the series? -:)
Probably not as appealing as offering a personal post card sent every holiday by some writers to their investors on crowdfunding sites

message 6: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2277 comments I just pity the historians of the future that have to wade through all those pictures to find something important....

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments -:)

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I don't like pics of myself, so I have never taken a selfie. I met a woman only a few weeks ago who wanted to keep in touch, so we agreed to connect up of FB. But when I saw her page and all the pics were of her, I thought, no thanks. This woman loves herself a little too much... I've noticed more than a few guys like that as well and I always think two things. 1, it's odd. 2, It's shallow. Whilst love of self is important - if you don't love yourself, how can you possibly expect anyone else to love you. But obsession with self is warning of a personality that expects the world to revolve around them. No thanks.

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Oh dear...

A little while ago, my buddy hopped on my laptop to help me with tech stuff and the first thing he said was, "Your background is a picture of yourself? Seriously, Ann??"

Well, yeah... *grins sheepishly* ...but in my defense (if I even have a case here haha) I adore that photographer! He is so freakin' talented!! Plus, he's an absolute sweetheart and my favorite to work with by far!! Sooo, it's more of a tribute to him. Or at least that's what I tell myself hahahaha!

@ Mr Tim: Friends off. ^_~

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Haha.. I do love that profile pic of you. Are you are were you a model?

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Tim: Haha, thanks! My profile pic isn't professional, though. My girlfriend took that in a back alley downtown. We got accosted by a dude who wanted to get in on the photos. It was freakin' hilarious! Ah, gotta love drunk people, eh?

Anyhoo, she's actually a nurse. I told her to change careers ^_~

As for the rest, errr, I'm gonna PM you cuz I don't think anyone else cares LMAO!!!

message 12: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments Thousands are dying to know, don't tease them, Ann-:)

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: Nooo, I'm actually not quite THAT self-centered... *smirks*

message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments Never thought you were -:)

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: Phew! *wipes away sweat* I'll do my best to keep it that way XP

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Chikamso wrote: "It [a selfie] just reflects the instant gratification culture of modern society. "

a succinct and incisive comment.

before cameras, the nobility would hire artists to paint their portraits. now, because of polaroids at first and now digital in conjunction w/the internet, pictures have become completely disposable.

that disposability is somewhat paralleled by the rise of the ebook. an ebook doesn't take up as much physical space as hardcopy; same w/music. anything digital becomes eminently disposable and hence a product's value--and in particular artistic value--has become more dependent on its effect on our selves rather than the physical medium itself. soon you'll be able to switch out your entire living room wall for another landscape painting at the flick of your finger. people won't want to buy paintings and prints w/"expensive" custom framing any more to decorate the interior of their houses.

message 17: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments What do you think?

message 18: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments It's funny that you should raise this again. I've always thought it was narcissistic, but I was sorting out my old photos recently and I realised how little photos I had of my teen years. I'm really quite jealous of young people today who have so many photos of their youth, I wish that I had more of mine.

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments Jen Pattison wrote: "I'm really quite jealous of young people today who have so many photos of their youth, I wish that I had more of mine...."

More, but hardly thousands? The good measure probably applies. Having a very few photos (me too, btw) is not cool, but being engaged in taking self-pic every moment instead of 'living the moment' is also a little too much, imo -:)

message 20: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments True, Nik - my friends and I in our teens weren't taking photos all the time, but talking, going out, doing stuff like going for a run, horse ride or a bike ride.

message 21: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Paulson | 94 comments Nik wrote: "What do you think?"

IMO, taking pictures of other things is technology; taking selfies is narcissistic.

message 22: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments What an amazing cultural breakthrough, these selfies are, aren't they? Am I a dinosaur occasionally asking passersby to take a pic instead of buying a selfie stick?

message 23: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Taking constantly selfies of yourself is definitely a mark of nacissism in my opinion.

message 24: by Ian (last edited Dec 09, 2017 01:13PM) (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 214 comments I've got mixed views on this.

On the one hand, I see the constant obsession with selfies at every opportunity as narcissistic. On the other hand, in a sense selfies have always been there. How often have I and my wife asked strangers to take a picture of us, or propped the camera on a suitable perch and set the timer so we can both be in the shot? The technology has simply made things a lot easier. Then again, most of those older shots had us as a part of a bigger view, whereas the selfie by it's nature tends to be up close and personal. Anything other than self is pretty much incidental background. Agh, it's complicated!

Then we come to the whole "living the moment" question. Yes, I used to hate carrying the camera around because my wife would be constantly prodding me to take a picture of this, or that, when I really wanted to take in the moment through my senses and carry away a vivid memory. These days, we take relatively few photographs and now I'm working on our Christmas newsletter I'm lamenting the fact that I have so few pictures to include. Yes, back in the summer I didn't think we needed yet another shot of us camping, but it would have been nice to have those shots to share with others.

*Head explodes*

message 25: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments Billions of megabytes of selfies and often meaningless pics make 'cloud storage' biz so lucrative ....
On the other hand, indeed having some memories perpetuated in photos cannot be bad..
And you know ... all those artists at Montmartre and other touristic places offering to draw or paint a portrait in half an hour, are still there -:)

message 26: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15676 comments Excessive selfies, might not be enough. Would you record your entire life, if you could?

message 27: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6019 comments Seriously?? The faux pas and boring far outweigh the triumphant moments. And not even I would waste my time wading through all that a second time, so why record it? It seems to me that selfies are mainly for public consumption on social media, to show how happy and successful you are. I want to see some selfies in which people are drunk or mournful or look like crap. Let's see selfies of people in the back of a cop car or throwing up after a night out or stalking an ex. Then I might be interested.