Harry Potter and the Cursed Child discussion

Spoilers > Questions about characters. *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Have some burning questions regarding the various characters in the play/book? Please discuss below. Please know that potential spoilers will be discussed as well as predictions or back story that may or may not have been given in the play/book.

message 2: by Meredith (new)

I will reframe from saying too much at the moment until more folks have read the book, but I have some serious questions regarding the Weasley family, particularly Ron.

message 3: by Meredith (new)

Okay, now that a few people have read the book…

I don't have my copy or the library's so I can't refer back without knowing if I read this part wrong or missed something. Okay, so Ron is all the sudden owner of the twin's joke shop, Wizard Wheezes. Maybe I missed this, but is George just never mentioned or acknowledged? This got me a bit worried… did he die at some point and Ron took over? Or was he skimmed over, I missed it and they are co-owners? I am guessing Ron's career as an auror just didn't pan out.

message 4: by Ereska (new)

Ereska | 15 comments George isn't mentioned as far as I remember, but JKR has stated before that Ron quit his auror job after two years and became his brother's partner at the shop.

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Ereska wrote: "George isn't mentioned as far as I remember, but JKR has stated before that Ron quit his auror job after two years and became his brother's partner at the shop."

*Phew* Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was getting al little worried about George for a minute. I like the thought of Ron and George coming together not only as brothers and business partners but what would seem to be a mutual respect. Ron always felt like the outsider Weasley, almost in a sad way it seems both him and George come together over Fred to keep the joke shop going and his memory.

message 6: by Josephine (new)

Josephine | 3 comments You're right, I was wondering about that as well. Did anyone else also feel like Ron was over-the-top goofy? Like, I know he is a funny character but I felt like it was too much at times.

message 7: by Meredith (new)

Josephine wrote: "You're right, I was wondering about that as well. Did anyone else also feel like Ron was over-the-top goofy? Like, I know he is a funny character but I felt like it was too much at times."

Yes! He seemed even more goofy from when he was a kid. and that is saying a lot. Maybe the death of his brother changed him in that way? It's like he was trying to be the cool uncle when he really didn't need to try.

message 8: by Hemma_J (new)

Hemma_J | 5 comments I am surprised noone has brought this up yet, but WHAT WAS UP WITH THE TROLLEY LADY ???? o_O

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rasashbrook) | 2 comments I really disliked Ron's characterization, but could see how the could work as comic relief in the play version. I sort of hope that Ron's investment in the joke shop and drinking is linked to PTSD. Not that I want him to be traumatized, which he has every right to be, but that it would explain the way his character behaved and why he took up the joke business. Rob was always more susceptible to trauma, for example with the Horcrux. He also isn't the main focus on this play but I missed him and Hermione as a part of the triad that as always held this series together.

message 10: by Hemma_J (new)

Hemma_J | 5 comments Ron served as a comic relief in the books as well, though to be fair, in the play there were also non-comical typical-Ron moments, which I really liked.

However, in terms of comic relief characters, I was VERY surprised that Scorpius was one of them! It weirded me out at first, then I just kept ignoring it. I hope it works better on stage.

message 11: by Nafia (new)

Nafia Zalal | 10 comments I think the character Rose was really ignored in the story. I had my hopes high for her. It was really disappointing to see her that way. Though she was quite a jerk, her character could have developed throughout the story. I know that she was really young but still, it would have been much better if she appeared more in the story. Three of them would have made a great team. ( Sorry for the terrible English. It's not my first language)

message 12: by Nafia (last edited Aug 03, 2016 03:10AM) (new)

Nafia Zalal | 10 comments Katie wrote:

"I think that Rose reacted badly to Scorpius because of the whole Voldemort's son rumour - she'd obviously been aware of it where Albus wasn't. "

Yes I hope that too. ( You know, I really liked the idea of Rose and Scorpius being togather. And she is just thirteen. So, I think she will be matured enough in future)

message 13: by Carlos (new)

Carlos | 16 comments I shudder to think that Scorpius and Rose could end up being together. In my opinion, Albus is the perfect match for him (blushes). But I think it's just a matter of taste.

message 14: by Nafia (new)

Nafia Zalal | 10 comments Carlos wrote: "I shudder to think that Scorpius and Rose could end up being together. In my opinion, Albus is the perfect match for him (blushes). But I think it's just a matter of taste."

It's totally your opinion. You can ship whatever you like. I thought their bromance was great but it wasn't on point ( Nico and Will!! Yaaaaa!!! ). But like I said, you can ship whatever!!! ; )

message 15: by Carlos (new)

Carlos | 16 comments I have a question about Albus; after they ruined Cedric's task against the dragon, why was Albus sorted into Gryffindor insted of Slytherin? I think Albus' personality isn't being well defined here. What do you think?

message 16: by Nafia (new)

Nafia Zalal | 10 comments I think, things among the trio changed which made Harry quite aggressive which may made Albus more full of himself and daring. As a result he was sorted into Gryffindor. ( It's my theory. I don't know if it is right or wrong )

message 17: by Nafia (new)

Nafia Zalal | 10 comments Katie wrote: "I think it's more to do with Ron marrying Padma instead of Hermione and his son Panju daring Albus to choose Gryffindor instead of Slytherin. That's the only difference in Albus' life in the first ..."

Well, that makes sense....

message 18: by Carlos (new)

Carlos | 16 comments The wrote: "Katie wrote: "I think it's more to do with Ron marrying Padma instead of Hermione and his son Panju daring Albus to choose Gryffindor instead of Slytherin. That's the only difference in Albus' life..."

The wrote: "I think, things among the trio changed which made Harry quite aggressive which may made Albus more full of himself and daring. As a result he was sorted into Gryffindor. ( It's my theory. I don't k..."

Yes, that makes sense, however, I still think that Albus' character may be not well formed. He is reticent about being sorted into Slytherin at the beginning of the play and despite that fact he becomes a Slytherin, I think because that is his true identity. Then, there should have been a too big influence on him to encourage the hat to sort him into the other house. I don't know if I have explained my point properly.

But I like your suggestions though :).

message 19: by Srijita (new)

Srijita | 8 comments Though it is out of the context,but i found the name panju extremely funny. I mean i am an indian but i dont think anyone names their son panju!!!! Overall it is right that ron was merely a comic relief but i loved to see ginny the way she was!!! She was a great mother and a great wife. However justice has not been done to hermione's character as well.
PS: i loveeeeddd scorpius!!!!