Harry Potter and the Cursed Child discussion

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
This topic is about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
910 views
Spoilers > Thoughts after reading the book *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
*Spoilers may be discussed*

Give thoughts on the book after reading it.


Josephine | 3 comments Okay, I haven't finished it yet but I'm definitely going to today! I hope some of you will finish it today as well so we can discuss it. I have so many things to say about it already.


Ereska | 15 comments I'm really torn. I loved some parts of it, but there was also a lot that I didn't like. And as much as I love time travel and alternate universes in fanfiction, I'm not sure I want to see them in actual canon. Speaking of fanfiction, this script read a lot like one, and not a particularly good one. Many of the characterizations just seemed... off. Harry in particular. From the epilogue of DH I got that Harry is a great dad, who has a wonderful connection with Albus, the son who is most like him. While I suspected that Albus would eventually struggle with his parentage, I always assumed Harry would remain understanding and supportive. But the script really blows the father-son conflict out of porportion. Harry acts OoC a lot, saying and doing some unforgivable things.

Things I disliked about the script:

- The Albus-Harry conflict
- Harry's characterization in general, at least in three quarters of the book (he returns to his aweseome self in the end)
- The time travel - a lot about it doesn't make sense
- Cedric Diggory as a Death Eater (Just because he is humiliated in the Triwizard Turnament? REALLY? No way! There is a reason Hufflepuff produces the fewest dark wizards of all houses! He's stronger than that!)
- Voldemort's child (What? Didn't JKR herself say Voldemort as a father is a horrible thought? How even... no, better not go there!)
- No Hugo or Teddy, and we hardly get to see Harry's other kids. And where is the rest of the Weasley family?


Things I liked:

- Ginny! She's such a wonderul mother and wife! I know a lot of people don't like her, but she was amazing in this book, and I believe she is perfect for Harry.
- Ron/Hermione. There has been a lot of controversion about them, fuelled by JKR herself. This book shows again why they are perfect for each other. Even in the alternate universes where they don't end up married, they are obviously in love.
- Dumbledore. He didn't have a large role to play, being just a portrait, but his character was spot on. The scene where he spoke about his love for Harry... often people only see him as a manipulative chess player, when he is so much more.
- Scorpio Malfoy. He's awesome. Enough said.
- The trolley witch. Hilarious!


message 4: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Jayne | 1 comments It's difficult to be objective given that the book is actually a play, and subsequently lacking the in-depth character details and insights of the books that we're used to. It was very, very quick to get through and feel that made it hard for me to digest the richness of the story that is probably portrayed in the live performance. However, on reflection, I feel the story is as layered, complex and moving, as the originals, just delivered in a more challenging way.

I loved Scorpio Malfoy's character, and it was an interesting juxtaposition seeing Albus pitted off against Harry, when they are so much alike. I'm glad time wasn't spent trying to give every Potter/Granger-Weasley progeny a storyline. That would have been exhausting and contrived. I think the time travel concept is far-fetched and wild when you consider it outside of the story, but in its context, it was a valuable tool. Not just to develop Albus's storyline, but for closure for the faithful readers. Everything had to happen exactly as it was, and I think that's a real guilty pleasure to be able to get that closure, to re-visit the parts of the story we already know, even if it's not the best writing tool. The idea of Voldemort's daughter was wild too, but why not? This is our last foray, our last adventure with our Harry Potter family, so what if the entire thing is deus ex machina, so what if we're breaking a few a rules? This story was for the fans, the family, and we deserved it. We deserved to see Snape moved by the idea that Albus Severus was named after him, and see Dumbledore sob as he tells Harry he loves him, and be reassured that Ron and Hermione were meant to be together, and watch Harry, surrounded by his loved ones, choose and accept his parents' fate.

I would have liked two novels, instead of one play, and I think the story (and the fans) really deserved two novels, but I'll take what I can get.

Up until Delphi appears in the Owlery, I had been only slightly aware of the unnatural way she fit into the story. I thought it was just the writers trying to force a girl into the trio in an awkward way, but when she appeared in the Owlery, I immediately thought 'how does she keep getting in to Hogwarts?', and then I felt suddenly alarmed, and of course she immediately switches (I'm sure I should have picked up on this sooner), which worked very well for me. She seemed very creepy to me because of that.

I'm really glad to have this story. Now I just need someone to re-write it as two books in the style of JK Rowling. All the dialogue is there, just need filler. Who's up for it?


Keegan | 3 comments I was tremendously disappointed with the story, something I found to be absolutely cringe inducing. It wasn't without some positives, but in general I'd love to forget this.

Good things:
- Some characters get second chances (Dumbledore)
- Ron and Hermonie's relationship.
- The emotion at the very end.
- Sooooome of the nostalgia stuff (Goblet of Fire has always been my favourite, so it was cool visiting that again, for a while).

Bad things:
- Some characters seemed like completely different people (Amos, I don't remember Hagrid being the BFG).
- The plot is soooo lazy, time travel and awkward twists.
- Voldemort's daughter.
- This reminds me of Terminator Genisys.

In the end I kinda felt like Dumbledore being forced to drink that potion to get to the end...
"KILL ME!"


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Not going to lie, I kept thinking I was reading the Wizarding version of 'Back to the Future'. Haha. It did feel a bit fan-fiction like to me. I mean come on… the time-turner is like the Delorean. I was half expecting Doc Brown to sudden pop up and scream, "Great, Scott!" or "Damn".


message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard | 2 comments Now fans must deal with the concept of alternate worlds. Alternate worlds is something Diana Wynne Jones pulled off very skillfully in her Chrestomanci series. When characters muscle their way into one of the alternate worlds, it cuases all of their alternate selves to shift to a new alternate world.

Here is the wonderful "Dear Replacement" Gwendolyn Chant left behind for her replacement. The replacement looks exactly like her but her history is different. She didn't have a brother (Eric) in her original world.
---
Dear Replacement,
I have to leave this terrible place. Nobody understands me. Nobody notices my talents. You will soon see because you are my exact double so you will be a witch too. I have been very clever. They do not know all my resources. I have found out how to go to another world and I am going there for good. I know I shall be Queen of it because my fortune was told and said so. There are hundreds of other worlds only some are nicer than others, they are formed when there is a big event in History like a battle or an earthquake when the result can be two or more quite diferent things. Both those things hapen but they cannot exist together so the world splits into two worlds witch start to go diferent after that. I know there must be Gwendolens in a lot of worlds but not how many. One of you will come here when I go because when I move it will make an empty space that will suck you in. Do not greive however if your parents still live. Some other Gwendolen will move into your place and pretend to be you because we are all so clever. You can carry on here making Chrestomanci’s life a misery and I shall be greatful knowing it is in good hands.
Your loving

Gwendolen Chant

PS. Burn this.
PS2. Tell Cat I am quite sorry but he must do what Mr. Nostrum says.


Lucas Hamasaki (lucas_darathy) | 5 comments I loved it because it's Harry Potter...

...but I wasn't a fan of the story itself.

Albus wasn't a compelling character - in fact, I despised scenes with him. Scorpius saved it for me.

Harry was...? I don't get it? Draco was ten times the father Harry was, which. I love Draco. And I don't doubt he'd be an amazing father. But what happened to Harry?

The whole "LET'S GO BACK IN TIME OVER AND OVER AGAIN" plot was just stupid. No.

I don't understand how the Potter/Weasley kids would see their sibling/cousin isolate himself like that without doing anything at all?

In fact, I wish we had seen more of the others. James Sirius, Rose, Lily... and also, Neville works at Hogwarts. You're telling me he saw Harry's son acting like that for years and never tried to reach out?

Also... McGonagall receiving orders AND THREATS from Harry and obeying what he told her to do? What. The. Hell?

Bellatrix being pregnant during DH is... awkward?

Snape being alive when Voldemort would've killed him because of the wand regardless is... huh?

At the end, when they stay in GH and see everything, how come we didn't see Sirius? Sirius shows up there and that's when he gives Hagrid his bike, no? I might be wrong there, sorry.

Anyway. I love Harry/Hermione and this only proved to me why they should be together, so all the Ron/Hermione scenes were particularly forced to me, but that's a matter of opinion, I guess...

Cedric and Amos, though. I'm sorry. You two deserved better.


Winter Olivia Kendell (winterolivia) | 1 comments Totally agree with most of what's been said. Harry seemed like a complete jerk; maybe working for the Government turned him sour, but it seemed a bit off-ish.
I laughed my head off when I read that Voldemort and Bellatrix had a daughter together. I just can't. It's too ridiculous.
And not a huge fan of the time turner being the main focus point. I liked the limits to it in the 3rd book; but messing with time this much makes my head hurt.
But I do think the play will be if anything, fun. Lots of cool special effects.
Let's face it; nothing will be as good as the first 7 books. There's just no comparing with them. This read too much like fan fiction.
At least we can go re-read the originals. *Sigh*.


Josephine | 3 comments Hey Guys, I just finished the book as well.
And I don't feel as opposed to it as some of you do. I loved it, because it's Harry Potter and has Jo's name on it. Duh.
I do agree with some of the points that have already been made. It did feel like fan fiction in some parts. And I hated this horrible father version of Harry. But I think that it still had the messages and emotions that we all love about the Harry Potter books. I actually loved the time travel parts because we got to see some characters again and feel closure. I was crying when I read the part with Snape. That was beautiful. And Dumbledore. I'm so happy I got to read those things.
Also, I feel like we can't judge too harshly as it is meant to be seen as a play. And I believe it is so much better when actually seen acted out.

Some other things I loved:
- Hermione being Minister for Magic (Seriously that is so perfect)
- Scorpius Malfoy (best character in the play)
- Scorpius' and Albus' friendship


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
I love seeing everyone's replies. When I finished it my thoughts and concerns were what many of you have pointed out. But a few days after, I grew to really love it more and more after my initial hesitation and concerns. The more I thought about it and how the story and plot played out I kept thinking to myself about the little details of this and that. I actually couldn't wait for Amazon to get my book to me by Wednesday, so I broke down and went to B&N and got it. Haha. Will be returning the Amazon one once it arrives. After letting this new book sit a bit in my mind, I immediately wanted to re-read for the things I know I missed or didn't catch the first time around. Reading Cursed Child is making me want to re-read the entire series again (even though I have done that like fives over the past decade) and rewatch all the movies.

No joke, when I got to B&N not even an hour ago, there was like 10 copies left of 'Cursed Child' on the new arrivals table. ( Pretty sure they have several books in the backroom ready to restock the table. ;P) I grabbed my copy and browsed around some more to see what cool HP merch they had. Picked up the Hagrid Funko character and Harry with the Sorting hat since I never owned one of those cute little figurines. While walking around, I saw at least three kids in wizard and witch robes. My heart just sang. Seeing kids that were not even born yet when this series started getting into it the way we all did when we were younger really made my day. How special is that? The next generation is getting to experience what we all did so many years ago. That's something that I am glad they are getting to enjoy. There is nothing like being part of the release day festivities. So funny though, when I finished checking out and was leaving the store with my husband, we noticed that the table were I picked up my copy was completely empty. From when I picked up my copy to getting to the register, I would say we were in B&N 20 minutes tops! They couldn't them on the tables long enough before they were breaking out the next stock box. One of the employees told me that even though they had a good number of people last night doing the midnight book pickup it wasn't has crazy on the last books. But he did mention that people were making up for it while shopping during regular business hours. Just about everyone in store had a copy of Cursed Child in hand and that amazes me. Even if the new story wasn't as well executed at the original books, I still find it beautiful that so many people get joy out of this series. When you think about all the terrible things going on in the world lately, it warms my heart that people connect on so many levels because of a book. Pretty amazing. :)

Okay, I am done being sappy. At least for now!


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
I am loving Scorpio the best out of the new generation characters. He really touched something in me. For Draco coming from the crappiest family anyone can ever have (to me even worse compared to the Dursley's) to raise a child with such a great heart really is great. I feel for Draco. He finally gets to start his own family and live what is the most normal he get to to only have. But it is heartbreaking that the wife that probably humanized him the most out of anyone in the world, he ends up losing her to cancer. Ugh. The feels. Draco's connection to his son for me was even bigger than the Harry/ Albus situation. It goes to prove that even if someone (Draco) is a crappy kid during their school years, they can be a better person as an adult. Though, I do give Draco the benefit out the doubt at times.


message 13: by Desi (new) - rated it 1 star

Desi | 3 comments I liked it - it's Harry Potter, enough said there :) But I didn't love it :/

I agree that at time it was reading like a fan fiction (and not very good at that) - what was up with McGonagall or with Harry, even with Ron? He was portrayed like one of the Weasley twins. In any case, there were some wins - like Scorpio :)

And I have a technical question that's been bothering me a bit and maybe someone can explain:

While Lily and James were hiding in Godric's Hollow, they had the Fidelius Charm placed upon them. So anyone who was not explicitly told by Peter Pettigrew where they were, was not able to see them, right? Even if they knew from someone else their whereabouts, and they went to their house, peaked in their window, they wouldn't have been able to see them. So how could everyone from the future do so? Probably the rules change with time travel but still...

In any case, it was nice to be back in the Wizarding world again, even for a bit and to imagine how the characters grew up and how they were handling being parents :)


Keegan | 3 comments Desislava wrote: "I liked it - it's Harry Potter, enough said there :) But I didn't love it :/

I agree that at time it was reading like a fan fiction (and not very good at that) - what was up with McGonagall or wit..."


It was probably something changed a bit for the sake of the story. It's like how time-travel isn't predestined now like it was in Prisoner of Azkaban. I suppose it'd be entertaining to watch as a play, but as a story it's pretty sloppy.


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Keegan wrote: "It was probably something changed a bit for the sake of the story. It's like how time-travel isn't predestined now like it was in Prisoner of Azkaban. I suppose it'd be entertaining to watch as a play, but as a story it's pretty sloppy. "

I liked the play, but I have to agree with you, Keegan that the time travel was definitely sloppy. Snape is never mentioned being at Goodrich's Hallow between when Voldemort attacks to when Hagrid gets there to pick Harry up. I was a bit upset that wasn't covered since he does make an appearance in one of alternative universes.


V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards | 3 comments Everything that Ereska disliked I disliked too. In fact I hated all those things because those plotholes and departure of charactgers wouldn't have hapenned if JK Rowling has been more involved.

But the things I loved.

Fronm the moment little Scorpius appears I was like "aaaaaaaaaaaaw" to think he's the son of Draco and Pansy.

Then surprise! Draco had married a muggle lover! Was she pure-blooded?It would be cool if she had been because that would make me like her more, Another pureblood like Neville and the weasley.

Dracon in general I enjoyed so much in this book. Harry, no, I hated him.

Hermione as ministry of magic! wasn't that cool?


Venu Gopal (vgk_) | 1 comments I am highly disappointed. The story was like a really bad fanfic. Plot felt like the movie Primer. Time travel is really a bad plot device. Character development was horrible. Seriously I expected much better. Even though JKR did not write this. She supervised it. I have no idea how she approved this. I can not consider this canon in my head. There is a lot of fanfic out there which has better storylines and character development.


message 18: by Tian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tian Gao | 2 comments Lucas wrote: "I loved it because it's Harry Potter...

...but I wasn't a fan of the story itself.

Albus wasn't a compelling character - in fact, I despised scenes with him. Scorpius saved it for me.

Harry was...."


You're not wrong about Sirius lending Hagrid the motorbike, but if they can forget about the Fidelius Charm, then what's a throwaway mention in the first chapter of book 1?

I think we have to keep in mind that the play is in two parts, there's at least a few hours between the end of Part 1 and beginning of Part 2, a day if you see it on the Thursday/Friday schedule (just checked the website) so the going back in time over and over again probably isn't as annoying as when we're reading it on the page. But I do agree that Draco is a better father than Harry. I can understand that they're trying to put Albus under Harry's shadow, but it doesn't feel successful. Maybe you really need the actors' performances?


Lucas Hamasaki (lucas_darathy) | 5 comments I do agree that the actors and their performances would make this less... problematic, but that's only a compliment to the actors. The story itself should stand on its own, IMO.

Another issue I have is Harry's scar and him being able to speak Parseltongue. How very convenient. Voldemort wasn't around and Harry wasn't a horcrux anymore, IT MADE NO SENSE.


Kirstie (kenglish95) Overall I really liked it even though I didn't really have high hopes for it. Really want to see it on stage. However it wasn't flawless so here is a breakdown of my likes and dislikes:

Dislikes:
The time turner element was a weakness plot device
As was Voldemort having a kid
The fact it was just a script
Albus being angsty as hell: I will admit this does make sense but he was a pretty unlikable character.
Harry was also a bit of a dick: This also made sense though hated his excuse for being a shit dad being never having a father considering he had plenty of fantastic father figures.
Rose: Rose was an ass hole and very much like a young Draco
The way Scorpius pines after Rose even though she is an ass to him.
The fact I ship Scorpius and Albus so hard but I know that isn't happening.


Likes:

Scorpius: He is the best character by far in the play.
The kick ass Trolley Witch
Draco: He is actually a way more likable character than Harry
McGonagall taking no shit
Hermione as minister and as kick ass outlaw
Middle aged Ron
The fact Dumbledore pointed out that Harry naming his kid after him was a bit much :P
Snape being cool


Carlos | 16 comments I had always thought that other people than J.K. writing this story wouldn't be any good. I struggled to see the characters, specially Ron, as the same characters form the original books. It was like they have lost their real voice. I really liked reading Snape alive and sacrificing his life once again, however, as with the rest of the characters, it was like he had lost his real voice, he was a different person.

The plot was good. I enjoyed the time travels and reading all those scenes form the original books from a different perspective. Voldemort having a daughter seems a bit odd but I think it works well. But I feel that this story should have been written by J.K. as a novel, it would have been much greater.

What got me most dissappointed was Scorpius' talk about Rose. As I was reading the play I felt that a relationship between Scorpius and Albus was growing as something natural and that LGBT community would be represented in this world at last. The connection between they both seemed very real and natural and that scene was like a bucket of cold water thrown over me. I think they have missed the opportunity to portray gay characters as normal characters. I see lots of fanfics coming. Haven't you felt something like this as reading the play?

(Sorry for my bad English, it isn't my first language)


Lucas Hamasaki (lucas_darathy) | 5 comments I agree with you, Carlos, there were points where I thought "oh, wow, they're going there with Scorpius and Albus?" and, honestly, it could've been great. It's a shame we ended up getting the "#nohomo, we're just cool dude-bros who hug it out sometimes, but we definitely like girls" treatment.


message 23: by Meredith (last edited Aug 01, 2016 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Carlos wrote: "I had always thought that other people than J.K. writing this story wouldn't be any good. I struggled to see the characters, specially Ron, as the same characters form the original books. It was li..."

Carlos, your english is fine, indeed. :)

I'm glad you pointed out the Scorpius/Ablus situation because I was totally getting more an friends vide from them as well. Which I thought for a popular fantasy series that would have been cool since many different kids read these books. I felt like Jo copped out with the whole Dumbledore gay situation when asked in that interview. I have no problem with him being gay, but why not be explicit about in the books rather than throwing people a random bone after the books have been finished. I'm not suggesting a gay scene love scene needed to be written in order for Dumbledore's sexuality to be defined. It just felt forced to me that it was only acknowledged years after the final books were written.

But as I was reading Cursed Child, I was like "Okay, she is going to go there." Than nope. I also felt that it was going in a natural progression without being crazy over the top. It seemed odd to me as well it was all the sudden switched at the very end.


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Lucas wrote: "I agree with you, Carlos, there were points where I thought "oh, wow, they're going there with Scorpius and Albus?" and, honestly, it could've been great. It's a shame we ended up getting the "#noh..."

I am wondering if more books/ plays are written if it will be explored more with bi-sexulity or both boys figuring it out later down the road? But it seemed so random to have not in one place, but almost three other times with the writing pointing out it seemed more than just a hug to than turn it the other way. I was a bit thrown by that as well. I love inclusion and am very open minded so I'm not sure what they were going for there to just nix it at the end?


message 25: by Tian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tian Gao | 2 comments Meredith wrote: "Carlos wrote: "I had always thought that other people than J.K. writing this story wouldn't be any good. I struggled to see the characters, specially Ron, as the same characters form the original b..."

I was okay with how she revealed Dumbledore as being gay, there wasn't really a place for it in the books (unless Bathilda Bagshot picked up on it and told Rita Skeeter), but I do agree the Albus/Scorpius situation read like a romance, but hey, they're only fourteen, they have time to figure it out.


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Tian wrote: "Meredith wrote: "Carlos wrote: "I had always thought that other people than J.K. writing this story wouldn't be any good. I struggled to see the characters, specially Ron, as the same characters fo..."

Fair point, Tian in regards to the Dumbledore reveal.

I am guessing more books or plays will be made from this play. Jo did say in a recent interview that Harry is done being the main character and that his story is pretty much complete. It was said the 'new generation' would be something to consider for further books. Here's hoping! :D


message 27: by Ereska (last edited Aug 02, 2016 01:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ereska | 15 comments Dunno, I really wouldn't mind if Scorpius and Albus don't become a couple. It kind of annoys me that in today's world two guys are not allowed to love each other without being labeled as 'gay' or 'bi'. What's love got to do with sexuality? I'm pretty sure Harry and Ron also love each other, but it doesn't mean they want to get married or even have sex with each other. And remember Sirius and James who were incredibly close to each other, yet James was obsessed with Lily (not sure about Sirius... girls seemed to love him, but in the pensieve scene in book 5 he was almost oblivious to them).

I admit, I like the thought of Scorpius/Rose. He obviously has to change a little before anything can happen, learn to stand up to her. While he might like a girl with a dominant personality, I don't think she would be happy with a guy who just lets her walk over him. Frankly, Rose could do with a little opposition, someone to take her down a notch or two - she did not come across as a very nice person. Though her parents are possibly at least somewhat to blame for that - as Hermione said... neither she nor Harry deserve a parent-of-the-year award.


message 28: by Carlos (last edited Aug 02, 2016 01:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carlos | 16 comments As you say, we can expect more books from this play (as long as Harry Potter's world is that good source of income as it is today, we can be sure of that) and they both, Scorpius and Albus, have time to realize. I hope so :).

Regarding Dumbledore's love affairs, I think it was good knowing that a character as important as Dumbledore, being that brave and intelligent, has being gay all the time. However, I consider this as a late correction. I mean, seven books in which some many characters appear and not a single LGBT character. It should have been said in the book, and in the movies, so it can be part of the canon.

And we could have the same discussion about black characters. We didn't have any main, remark main, characters who were black
and I feel that black Hermione on the representation of the play is another late correction. Don't get me misunderstood, I am ok with that decision (obviuosly), but I think it should have been done before. But this isn't the topic about the representation of the play so maybe I should stop here.


Carlos | 16 comments I understand your point Ereska, and you are right, two guys can love each other without any sexual attraction, without being gay or bi. However, as I said in the last comment, there are some many straight characters in the books that it is time for gay couple, or just one gay (or lesbian or bi...) character.

As J.K. being such a deffensor of gay rights, I think she should use the tools she has in order to normalize gay relationships. And this time it was very strong and real, I think there's a lot of people that felt the same while reading the play.


Ereska | 15 comments There probably are more gay/lesbian/bi people in the books, we just don't know, because like with Dumbledore we never actually see them in a relationship. I do not think JKR was deliberately holding back this information, to her it just doesn't matter, in the way that it doesn't change how she views these characters, their beliefs, their motivation, their actions. Their sexuality is not the defining character trait, so why show it if it has no relevance to the plot? I think the way she revealed Dumbldore being gay, almost like an afterthought, actually shows how normal this is for her. He's gay. No big deal. He's still the same character.
Doesn't this normalize gay people even more than spelling everything out and putting labels on it?


Carlos | 16 comments Yes, of course there could have been more LGBT character in the books and we don't have to be told. But we haven't been told that Harry is straight. We didn't have a line saying "and Ron and Hermione are straight and they love each..." No one has told us that Lily, James, Arthur, Cho or any other character is straight, but it is indirectly shown.

I am just asking for a known gay character, as all those characters that we know that are straight and we have not being directly told. Cho could have been a guy, or it could have been Fleur the one flirting with hermione before she marries Ron. Or just any secondary character. But shown instead of told.

I know it does not seem very important, however it is for some people that read and read again and watch and see pieces of literature or movies or any other form of art in which romantic couples are formed but they can't feel identified with those couples. J.K. has the open mind, she has the tools, she only needs to do it. It seemed so real and natural this time... And you don't have to tell, it could be enough just removing that last talk between Scorpius and Albus about Rose.

But it is just my opinion, we are free to wish different things portrayed in our favourite books, things created from the desires of our hearts, however, they can't please us all.


Ereska | 15 comments True. And since we haven't been told much, things are still open for interpretation. We only know Scorpius and Albus both like girls, but that doesn't mean they do not like guys, as well. I got the vibes you mentioned - they are definitely close friends, however I put tensions between the boys down to teenage awkwardness when others might interpret them in a sexual way (e.g. the hugging). Though I think it was mainly Scorpius who was uncomfortable with physical shows of affection and who seemed to be jealous of Delphi...


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "I did love it on the whole though. Great to see the gang again. Great to get some questions answered and some closure. The prominence of the Malfoys was also very welcome. "

I really loved the Malfoy family character development as well. This play did them justice and I have come to appreciate Draco's character even more after reading the play. And Scorpius has to been of the best new HP characters that was created. I am hoping JK continues the stories with the new generation characters so we can get more Scorpius. :D


Meredith (merebooks) | 37 comments Mod
Ereska wrote: "I got the vibes you mentioned - they are definitely close friends, however I put tensions between the boys down to teenage awkwardness when others might interpret them in a sexual way (e.g. the hugging). Though I think it was mainly Scorpius who was uncomfortable with physical shows of affection and who seemed to be jealous of Delphi... "

To be honest, I didn't even think of it like that, Ereska. That is a very good point that you have pointed out. Now that you mentioned that it does make sense that Scorpius wouldn't know who to react to that much affection terms of physical contact. Some great points to ponder on either way.


message 35: by Hemma_J (new) - added it

Hemma_J | 5 comments Tough an immense Potterhead, I have to say, I didn't expect much and it turned out to be pretty much what I had expected. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Right now I have several Harry Potter fans asking me if the book is good or if it's brilliant and I don't want to ruin their expectations saying that it was "okay". However, I don't trust my first impression since I only just finished an intense Shakespeare course at Uni of Cam and it would be unfair to compare their plays.


Pusheen86 | 3 comments I'm really torn on my feelings about this play. Initially I thought it was wonderful but I think that was just because I was so engulfed in nostalgia. I had problems with Ron and his portrayal, which I mentioned in my review, but the more I think of it, and from reading other comments here, I have a real problem with the fact Voldemort has a child. I re-read the books to line up with the release of this and I just don't understand how that could have come about. Bellatrix may have been the most faithful lieutenant, but a child with her? Really? I don't think Voldemort would want that kind of attachment with anyone and I also don't think he would see the merit in an heir. His arrogance would lead him to think that even his own offspring wouldn't be able to compete. And are we really meant to think that Bellatrix's pregnancy escaped the notice of The Order?


Pusheen86 | 3 comments Katie wrote: "I loved it. I thought it was well thought out and plausible (regarding Delphi's origins - had no issue at all with Bellatrix having a child for Voldemort - she was obsessed with him, and he would c..."

I feel the same about Ron and Myrtle, seemed a little like they had taken on aspects of the way they were portrayed in the films rather than the original series.


message 38: by Taja (last edited Aug 02, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taja (nerdytodd) I loved every word of this new story! It definately has its faults, but I am still wrapped in the glow of nostalgia and am all potter-obsessed again.

I would rather it was a book, or even a series with how much they skipped (straight to year 4... really!?)... but I was happy for anything. It really felt like a reunion episode, though, like when they do stuff that don't makes sense but we are all like (omg they are back, haha she said the catchphrase, etc.)

So much happens in such a short amount of reading. Besides feeling rushed though, I really loved getting such detailed updates of our favorite trio. Seeing Albus and Scorpius become friends was a nice touch. I felt Ron was a little too Ron though... he is funny and a bit of comic relief in the books but he also gets pretty mad at main characters when they're acting a-fool and THAT Ron was missing from this story. Also, Hermoine as Minister of Magic I liked, because duh. I wish we saw more of their other children besides a bit of Rose, the alternate Sanju, and a tiny pit of James... it would have been nice to see James as more than just a shitty brother, and I expect Rose is less stuck up than they make it seem.... you know, in real life lol.

I just loved it though, especially getting to see Snape again and Snape getting to know that everyone thinks of him as a hero and that Harry named his son after him, it was awesome to have Snape get to know about that - even if it was an alternate reality.

I cried, of course, during the many awesome timelines when stuff went really wrong, and when Harry had to see his parents' death... I cried quite a bit though the play reading.

Overall 5 stars, just because I loved it even despite all the flaws. ♥


message 39: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan | 1 comments Okay, so I feel like if Jk was the sole author of this play that things may have been a little different. I vaguely remember her saying that the time turner plot in Prisoner's of Azkaban was tricky, so it surprises me that she would agree about using the time turner again for the CC........

HOWEVER, without the time turner, there would have been no Snape realizing that Harry admired him and that Harry named his kid after him. I wish they would have shown Snape coming into Godric's Hollow after Voldemort killed Harry's parents. Now wouldn't that have been a tear jerker

I see what lesson they're trying to teach with the time turner situation but.....I mean that's what PoA was for.

Dumbledore: that few sentences of Harry and Dumbledore together getting their closure......saved the book.....because that was worth it.

Delphi: Anyone else have a horrible image of Voldemort and Bellatrix together...*shivers* totally knew she had it in for him LOL.

It was good but it wasn't great. It gave me closure. And the fact that they even came out with the CC was a blessing. I'm sad that it's all over...again.


Carlos | 16 comments Pusheen86 wrote: "I'm really torn on my feelings about this play. Initially I thought it was wonderful but I think that was just because I was so engulfed in nostalgia. I had problems with Ron and his portrayal, whi..."

Regarding what you have said about Voldemort's heir. I hadn't thought about it that way and I think you are totally right. Why should the Lord Dark produce an heir when he is so haughty in the books. He even creates those horcruxes in order to be inmortal, I think it all seemed very well tied up for him, why should he want to ensure his will through another person? There are many inconsistencies between the characters in the books and the characters in the play, I think.


message 41: by Taja (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taja (nerdytodd) Regarding Voldemort's kid...

The only reason that I can think of where Voldemort would want a kid - is to use their body as his spare in some form. Maybe she was originally meant to be some sort of safeguard for his immortality. Not because she meant anything to anyone but because he had a relative with his blood that he could use. I can see that... Bellatrix as a mom, just no. But her being used to create something that could help sustain Voldemort I can see.


Carlos | 16 comments Taja wrote: "Regarding Voldemort's kid...

The only reason that I can think of where Voldemort would want a kid - is to use their body as his spare in some form. Maybe she was originally meant to be some sort o..."


That's interesting, maybe he wanted to use her in any way as you said.
And now there's another question, who looked afer that child until she was a grown-up? I don't remember if that was explained in the play, is it mentioned? I have to re-read it!


Pusheen86 | 3 comments Carlos wrote: "Pusheen86 wrote: "I'm really torn on my feelings about this play. Initially I thought it was wonderful but I think that was just because I was so engulfed in nostalgia. I had problems with Ron and ..."

Haughty is definitely the word, and you are right about his confidence in the horcruxes; he is completely surprised by their discovery, particularly the one in the lake. Plus he doesn't even realise the horcruxes are threatened until a matter of hours before the Battle of Hogwarts so that's far too late to think he needs to set up a plan b with Bellatrix.


message 44: by Julie (last edited Aug 02, 2016 12:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julie | 1 comments This book was okay....

DISLIKES:
ROSE. My lord. What a bitch. I hated her so much, and she was completely undeserving of any attention from Scorpius. She literally made me hate Ron & Hermione pairing (even more than before...). Despite knowing the persecution Hermione went through because of who her parents were, she didn't even give Scorpius a chance. If that wasn't bad enough, after Albus went into Slytherin and became Scorpius's best friend, she pretended neither exists! Wow. She literally became Little Miss Perfect, who was beloved by all, but abandoned her childhood best friend because he didn't fit her "ideal". She is such a fake, putting up a "Albus's friend" front in front of her parents to get them off her back. I get Albus was being an angst brat, but he was obviously crying for help! I mean, he's the ONLY Potter ever to get sorted into that house and have to bear all the gossip. She only made an effort when her parents force her and during their FOURTH year.

The rest of the Weasley/Potter family. It made ZERO sense that NONE of them helped Albus feel like he belonged and only watched him sink further and further into his anger.

Harry as a dad. Terrible dad. He wasn't the Harry I remembered :(. It seemed like his legacy and professional status took over his entire life - he made terrible attempts at trying to communicate with his son.

Plot holes. Why is Snape ALIVE? Regardless of whether or not Neville successfully killed Nagini, shouldn't Voldemort have killed Snape for ownership of the Elder Wand?

Ron as comedic relief. It was very sad that one of the original trio was treated nothing better than comedic relief. Hermione was being a badass, whereas Harry was getting involved in his daddy-son issues. Ron just pops in for a one-liner, witty comment....

Albus. Too angsty for my taste. I'm glad Scorpius finally called him out on how "first world" his problems sound compared to Scorprius's.

LIKES:
Draco as a dad. By FAR the best parent. Even in the world where Voldemort won, he still loved his wife/son very much, despite knowing that his son is acting differently. The lengths he would go to to protect his son was heartwarming.

Scorpius. LOVED HIM. Such a cinnamon roll. <3

Despite all the problems, I didn't have the heart to rate it any lower than 4 stars.


message 45: by Taja (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taja (nerdytodd) Julie wrote: "Despite all the problems, I didn't have the heart to rate it any lower than 4 stars. "

This made me laugh. Because, I know, right!? Even with all of its problems, I still liked it. Even though I would NEVER allow another series that much fault, I gave it 5. ♥


message 46: by Carlos (last edited Aug 02, 2016 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carlos | 16 comments Nostalgia is the key. When you finnish reading it you feel like that child you were reading the books for the first time, then you start thinking too much. I also gave it 4 altough all the mistakes and that bit of disappointment. How I wish J. K. would write more novels about Hogwarts.


Lucas Hamasaki (lucas_darathy) | 5 comments Also. Neville is not only a Professor at Hogwarts, he's also Albus's godfather.

And yet, we didn't even see him when Albus obviously needed some sort of guidance.


Ereska | 15 comments Lucas wrote: "Also. Neville is not only a Professor at Hogwarts, he's also Albus's godfather.

And yet, we didn't even see him when Albus obviously needed some sort of guidance."


Where does it say that?


Lucas Hamasaki (lucas_darathy) | 5 comments @Ereska:

On one of the Quidditch World Cup articles... but I can't remember which one, sorry!


Rebekah (rebroxanna) Ereska wrote: "Dunno, I really wouldn't mind if Scorpius and Albus don't become a couple. It kind of annoys me that in today's world two guys are not allowed to love each other without being labeled as 'gay' or '..."
And remember Sirius and James who were incredibly close to each other, yet James was obsessed with Lily (not sure about Sirius... girls seemed to love him, but in the pensieve scene in book 5 he was almost oblivious to them).

I think that is an interesting point and I think the relationship of Scorpius and Albus deliberately parallels Sirius and James. Especially since Scorpius and Sirius were both from dark pureblood backgrounds. There are lot's of similarities.


« previous 1
back to top