Play Book Tag discussion

In the Darkroom
This topic is about In the Darkroom
July 2016: Biography Memoir > In the Darkroom by Susan Faludi - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 6673 comments In the Darkroom is the story of Susan Faludi's reconnection with her estranged father after his sex change operation. Susan's father divorced her mother in the 1970's and after that point Susan had little to do with him. Her memories of him were of a dominant overbearing and sometimes violent man, so in 2004, when he announced his change to her it seemed so at odd with her memories that she agreed to visit him in Budapest, Hungary, his native country which he had reestablished as his home.

Although Stephen Faludi was now Stephanie, she seemed to be just as overbearing and elusive as Susan remembered. He refused to discuss any subject which he felt uncomfortable with, and he bombarded Susan with images on the computer and insisted on displaying closet after closet of his wardrobe.

Susan continue to establish her relationship with her father and peeled away layers about identity, about Stephanie's prior life as a Jew in Hungary prior to and during WWII.

I found this book very interesting . For those interested in reading it a good companion book would be The Great Escape: Nine Jews Who Fled Hitler and Changed the World .

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Hmmm, well it certainly does not sound boring!! Will look into this one more . . .

message 3: by Booknblues (last edited Jul 31, 2016 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Booknblues | 6673 comments Anita wrote: "Hmmm, well it certainly does not sound boring!! Will look into this one more . . ."

There were parts I was more interested in than others. She explored her father's sexuality and reasons a person may have a sex change operation as well as the literature of male to female . She also explored her past relationship with her father and her childhood with her father. I found most interesting his history in Hungary and WWII, which she had the most difficulty gettting him to reveal.

Her father was a photographer and considered one of the best in pre-photoshop days in concealing and enhancing a picture.

Here is an article about it :
http://www.npr.org/2016/06/15/4821562...