EPBOT Readers discussion

Book Recommendations > Fantasy/YA Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa | 2 comments What are your favorites that you would recommend? I'm always on the lookout for new books.
Some of mine are-

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
Liveship series by Robin Hobb
Inheritance cycle (Eragon) by Christopher Paolini
Dragonriders of Pern by Anne Mccaffrey

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Saltmarsh Wilson | 1 comments I absolutely LOVE The Awakening of Ren Crown and its sequels. It's my favorite series, hands down, right now. Magical university, a bit of a chosen one vibe, but honestly it feels like its own world and not a Harry Potter rip off. The pacing is great, the heroine is really funny and awesome, and the take on technology in a magical world is really interesting. I've heard people say the first few chapters are a bit sluggish to get through, which is fair, but it's worth sticking with it. I'll even write a synopsis if you want to skip ahead ;)

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 889 comments Mod
Anything by Mercedes Lackey but her 500 kingdom books in particular are great melds of fairy tales around the world. I loved The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, one of my favorite books ever. So rich in details! I also loved Uprooted by Naomi Novick. It's an old school fantasy set in another realm, low levels of tech etc, but avoids feeling like its referencing Tolkien.

So many more, but it's a start!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (owlstory) | 3 comments I'm a big fan of the DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul. They border into sci-fi, and are religious (Christian) if that is something that you appreciate. The stories are gentle and sweet and feel like home. Her other books, the Chiril Chronicles and the Realm Walkers trilogy, are just as good, but sadly the publishing company dropped the contract for the third Realm Walkers book.

My all-time favorite series is Redwall. Redwall is home to me.

I am a big Guardians of Ga'Hoole fan -- the writing is... not well editied, rough, even. The storycrafting is superb. Read for the story, not for the writing. Basically the opposite of the movie based on the first five three books: watch for the beauty, but ignore everything else.

My favorite stand-alone fantasy is Chalice by Robin McKinley. I don't even know why -- it's confusing in places and hard to get into, but it is just a beautiful world and story.
A College of Magics and A Scholar of Magics: read for the setting/language, which feels Anne of the Island-meets-Harry-Potter, stay for the creative world and Jane, the mathematician/witch.

Other fantasy that I've read recently (all middle grade, I work in a library) that I recommend:
Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy (get this one on audio!)
The Museum of Thieves (and its sequels) (get it on audio!)
The Greenglass House (magical realism/modern setting with echoes of Warehouse 13-style steampunk, includes D&D-like game in the plot)

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (piratenami) | 232 comments I would recommend pretty much anything by Diana Wynne Jones or Robin McKinley.

McKinley's The Hero and the Crown was probably the first book I picked out for myself, and I read it hundreds of times growing up - plus I just reread it this year, and I found it still held up well.

Jones is probably best known for Howl's Moving Castle, which Miyazaki adapted into an anime film, but I haven't disliked a single book of hers that I have I read so far.

Also, Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief series is fantastic.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments My absolute favorite is Catherynne M Valente's "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making", and the four (!) other books in the series. I also adore her Six Gun Snow White novella, though I wouldn't recommend that for a YA aged reader.
Other recommendations:
Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising Series.
Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness series, and her Immortal Series.
Gail Carriger's Finishing School series (I loved the audiobooks even more than reading them).
Anything/Everything by Neil Gaiman

And I'm going to stop writing, because this is just going to get ridiculous otherwise.

message 7: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (midwinter) | 54 comments I haven't read anything by her yet, but my best friend is raving about a relatively new author, Shannon Hale. She does fairy tale re-tellings and they're getting rave reviews. Start with The Goose Girl.

Have you read any of Jim C Hines' books? His Libromancer and Princesses series are really good!

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise Resmi | 4 comments I love the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey! It is fantasy however, it is definitely more mature (very violent, has sexual content and a lot of cussing)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (owlstory) | 3 comments Kat wrote: "I haven't read anything by her yet, but my best friend is raving about a relatively new author, Shannon Hale. She does fairy tale re-tellings and they're getting rave reviews. Start with The Goose ..."

Shannon Hale is one of my very favorite YA/MG authors. I've only disliked one of her books, and I've read her full Princess Academy and Bayern (Goose Girl) series. I didn't like her standalone YA Dangerous, but liked her other standalone YA. Highly recommend her writing.

message 10: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (midwinter) | 54 comments Denise wrote: "I love the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey! It is fantasy however, it is definitely more mature (very violent, has sexual content and a lot of cussing)"

I *adore* Sandman Slim, but it's definitely up there with Game of Thrones in terms of violence and adult content. I just finished the third book, and have 3.5 (Devil in the Dollhouse) loaded on my tablet for weekend reading. Can't wait to dive in!

message 11: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 889 comments Mod
Kat wrote: "Denise wrote: "I love the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey! It is fantasy however, it is definitely more mature (very violent, has sexual content and a lot of cussing)"

I *adore* Sandman Slim..."

Do they pick up as they go along? I read the first one and had a hard time getting into it. Didn't super relate to the main guy, and I have trouble getting into books if I don't like the protagonist.

message 12: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 285 comments Mod
I have Sandman Slim on my kindle but haven't read it yet...

message 13: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 889 comments Mod
Shel wrote: "I have Sandman Slim on my kindle but haven't read it yet..."
I read the first one, it was alright. A friend recommended it to me, so I might continue when I'm in a lull.

message 14: by Alia (new)

Alia | 2 comments I'm almost finished with "A Face Like Glass" by Frances Hardinge and highly recommend it. Off to locate more of her books!